Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2016, 06:54 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dolly my car or pull it

Hi guys my wife and I are new to the rv life and last year we had a blast but the problem was when we went places we were stuck there with no car and we missed out on a ton of stuff to do. This year we are looking into getting some sort of tow system for our car but are not sure what to get. I have herd people say that pulling your car can kill the breaks and adds milage and using a dolly puts added weight. just looking for some direction before the RV season starts. Have a great day everyone.
paulchinnici is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #2

We don't have a RV yet but will be getting one. I bought a front wheel drive Chevy Traverse that can be flat towed. I don't want to mess around with a dolly. I got the car on sale after a hail storm so im not worried about dragging it around the country behind an RV.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #3

towing is different for each person by what their need are-we tow with a used Demco kar-kaddy since we have more than one car we use for towing and get new cars every 3 yrs, that being said it is an indivdual decision because we all have different needs, we like the tow dolly and even though I am 71 and don't get up & down like I used to-our tow dolly has served us well and can not see a reason to go 4 down-Rich
pauperspride.blogspot.com
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #4

Can your car be towed 4 wheels down, does it require a tow dolly, or does it have to be towed on a trailer.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:20 AM   #5

Dollies work, are often available used at less cost than a towing setup, and allow a lot broader range of towed. We are happy going that way. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:22 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What make and model will you be towing, and what will you be towing it with?
Old 03-05-2016, 07:26 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As far as brake wear is concerned, supplemental brakes in the toad or on the dolly will solve that problem. A dolly will add around 500 lbs to the tow weight. Most newer cars won't have milage added while towing.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:30 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Basics of pros/cons for each:
Tow dolly = less initial cost and any FWD car, but you have to move/store it and secure car on it (little extra work).
4 down = easier to hook-up/un-hook, nothing much to store, but you are tied to using one car and it cost more to get set-up.

Only you can decide.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You don't say what it is you'd like to tow. You may or may not be able to set it up for flat towing, that would take more information and research. If 4 wheel drive and equipped with a transfer case that has a neutral position, its almost certain that it can be, otherwise, it depends...

If front wheel drive it might be flat towable, but most likely can be towed on a dolly.

If rear wheel drive it would need changes to the driveline to be towable (driveshaft disconnect).

We'd agree a toad is necessary for maximum flexibility and convenience when travelling. I prefer not to have to mess with a trailer or dolly and we own a Jeep for its ease in setting up as a toad, its ruggedness and its ability to take us off the beaten path for exploring.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:47 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What you want is opinions from someone who has done both. I bought a tow dolly and used it a few years and came to hate it. There is sometimes a problem finding somewhere to park it at a campground. It was wider than my coach and I did not like that. The lockdown straps were dirty and a real pain to install, And it was a must to stop in about 30 minutes to retighten the straps. The biggest pain of all is when you get in a place where you can not back up or turn around so you must unhook the tow dolly so you can get out. That happened to me twice and was the last straw. It will happen sooner or later. Ten years ago, I bought a Ranger pu in excellent condition with manual shift. Installed the baseplate myself, bought Demco towbar and have been very happy with it ever since.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you have a choice, and can tow with all four wheels down, tow it. We have it down to a science and are able to hook up in about 10 minutes. No worry about storing it, or it being in the way at your campsite. The odometer does not operate when towing so there are no "added miles". When you mention killing the brakes, are you talking about the brakes on the towed vehicle or the motor home?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:59 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The car we will be towing is a 2010 Honda Civic front wheel drive. We have a forest river Georgetown xl 2015 37 feet.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:01 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The towed car breaks
Old 03-06-2016, 06:16 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulchinnici View Post
The car we will be towing is a 2010 Honda Civic front wheel drive. We have a forest river Georgetown xl 2015 37 feet.
Since you already have the Civic front drive car and want to use it, I would get a tow dolly and use it and see how it works for you. If you later want to consider towing four down, you can shop for a car that is flat towable and sell the dolly. I would get a dolly with brakes for maximum safety.

We started out with a tow dolly towing a front drive car. I grew to hate using the dolly and sold it in 6 months. I have flat towed 5 different vehicles and would never go back to a dolly.

Tags
dolly