Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #1

Dolly or flat-towed?

My wife and I just bought a 2004 Class C motorhome on a f450 chassis and the previous owner flat towed a Wrangler Unlimited behind it. I have a 1998 4WD Tahoe which says, in the owners manual, that it can be towed by putting the transfer case in neutral. It weighs just a little more than the Wrangler (about 600 pounds).

I have a tow dolly which is capable of towing the 'hoe and it has breaks and lights already. All I would have to do is attach it to the MH, drive the 'hoe onto it, lash it down and head out. To flat tow I will have to invest in at least $1000 worth of equipment (if I can buy used) and, I am assuming, would have to deal with the breaking system anytime I wanted to drive the 'hoe. My question is which would be preferable? I know that the weight with the dolly will be more and I am not real sure what happens with the breaking system on a flat towed vehicle when it is being driven and not towed. I would like to save the money for a flat towing system and will probably go the dolly route unless I am missing something which would prevent doing so. We will probably be investing in a Wrangler Unlimited in a year or so (I want one BAD) but I would probably dolly tow it also to keep from having to deal with the flat towed break system every time I want to drive it.

Am I missing something?
GermanDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Tow dolly will work.
I would suggest checking the hitch capacity and the total capacity of your rig.
Comparing to what PO did might put you over true rated capacities.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Tow dolly will work.
I would suggest checking the hitch capacity and the total capacity of your rig.
Comparing to what PO did might put you over true rated capacities.
I am worried about that having bought the RV used. I have gone over it with a fine toothed comb and mechanically it is sound but there is no telling what has been done to it since it was manufactured!

I want a new Wrangler Unlimited BAD but I hate to get rid of my 'hoe...the darn thing has 270K on it and it runs like a top, uses no oil and has been paid for since 2002! I have a 14 foot aluminum boat that fits on the roof of it and it won't fit on a Jeep so I would have to find a way to get it to the duck blind LOL....
Old 06-29-2017, 05:15 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think you can dolly tow just about any type of 4WD vehicle. What does the Owner's Manual say? Given that, a tow dolly will add another 400 to 500 lbs in tow weight. Have you actually weighed your Tahoe in its ready to tow weight (including the boat)? A Wrangler Unlimited is a heavy beast. They often weigh up to or over 5K lbs. Your MH probably only has a 5K hitch.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
I don't think you can dolly tow just about any type of 4WD vehicle. What does the Owner's Manual say? Given that, a tow dolly will add another 400 to 500 lbs in tow weight. Have you actually weighed your Tahoe in its ready to tow weight (including the boat)? A Wrangler Unlimited is a heavy beast. They often weigh up to or over 5K lbs. Your MH probably only has a 5K hitch.

The owners manual says the Tahoe can be towed either 4 wheels down or on a dolly. The hitch on my MH is a class IV which is 10K Pounds or 12000 with load distribution and 1000 pounds tongue weight. My Tahoe weighs about 4900 pounds and the dolly weighs about 600 so that is 5500. The dolly is "designed" to reduce tongue weight (supposedly, but I don't know that I believe it). This would be just under the manufactures GCWR when the vehicle was new. It is 13 years old now and has nearly 50K on it so that number is realistically lower now than in 2004. My old Tahoe may be too big .....and a new Wrangle unlimited is no better. So now I am looking at compact cars like a Nissan Versa etc.

An old Suzuki Samurai would be ideal!
Old 06-29-2017, 08:13 AM   #6

If I recall my Wrangler is not supposed to be dolly towed so you might consider that in your future plans.

The brake system I have is VERY easy to hook up and unhook. Just put on an air hose with quick connects on each end or remove it. Both done same tome as hooking to tow bar and safety cables. (Plus a brake cable in case the toad comes loose. It is a light (small) cable.) The whole process of hooking up or unhooking takes less than 5 min. (Only minor problem is if Jeep is on hill binding tow bar a bit on the unhook.)

Not sure on how other brake systems work and this was a costly setup including install so you mileage may vary.

Tom
Old 06-29-2017, 08:21 AM   #7

If you already have a tow dolly, go with that - assuming the tow dolly has brakes and is rated for the weight of the vehicle. If your tahoe is almost 5k pounds, there are only a handful of dolly rated for that much.

Setting up a vehicle to tow four-down is expensive and probably not work it for a vehicle with your mileage.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found it hard to believe that a 4WD vehicle could be towed on a dolly, so I downloaded the Owner's Manual for your Tahoe. The only time to use a dolly is when it is being towed by a tow truck and you must place the opposite end on a dolly (page 5-9). The RV towing section (4-41) only shows that a 4WD Tahoe can be towed 4-down. It doesn't indicate dolly towing.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Flat tow to me us much preferable. No dolly or trailer to handle or store at home or campsite.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #10

I would definitely check to make sure that vehicle is dolly towable. Most all wheel or 4-wheel drive vehicles are not and you could damage the transmission/transfer case.

That said, having just switched from a tow dolly to 4-down I can pretty well say 4-down is the way to go. Of course I have not actually gone on a trip yet, but just did my first test ride this morning. Hardly broke a sweat at all setting up as opposed to sweating like a pig horsing around the tow dolly and getting the car set up.

I've got about $2300 into 4-down equipment (baseplate, towbar, auxiliary braking system, wired tail lights and a charge line to keep my battery charged). That's with me doing all the work. I'd imaging another $1000 if you have someone install this stuff. My EZ Tow dolly (which I really liked) was about $2K delivered all in all. It served its purpose for 2 years, but I dont think I'll be looking back.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:17 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
You're not missing anything, Its a personal preference that only you can decide whats right for you.

I do both: I tow my Camry on an ACME dolly, but I prefer to flat tow my Saturn Vue.

Flat tow is a lot more convenient to hook up and unhook.

Dolly tow offers a lot more versatility in what can be towed.

i.e. I also run the defacto company "Dads Automotive and Roadside Service Company". When one of the kids car breaks, They call on dad to come get it.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post

i.e. I also run the defacto company "Dads Automotive and Roadside Service Company". When one of the kids car breaks, They call on dad to come get it.
This is why I own the dolly in the first place....while not my kids because those little darlings drive better cars than either of their parents I am, like a lot of folks from the south, the proud owner of several cars I am going to restore some day...and as such I have many occasions to use the dolly LOL...I am not a true redneck however as I have a 3000 square foot 18 foot tall building where I keep these "treasures"....were I a true redneck they would be proudly displayed in the front yard on blocks!
Old 06-30-2017, 08:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
I found it hard to believe that a 4WD vehicle could be towed on a dolly, so I downloaded the Owner's Manual for your Tahoe. The only time to use a dolly is when it is being towed by a tow truck and you must place the opposite end on a dolly (page 5-9). The RV towing section (4-41) only shows that a 4WD Tahoe can be towed 4-down. It doesn't indicate dolly towing.
I have the owners manual but I don't have it in front of me but what would the difference be in having the transfer case in neutral and towing with it the front wheels on a dolly or flat towing? There is no lubrication / cooling going on when the transfer case is in neutral and when the transfer case is in neutral the traction control is limited to the limited slip differential which will not be "engaged" as there would be no loss of traction at any wheel because none are being driven.

I am only asking out of interest. I can't come up with a mechanical reason why any car that could be flat towed could not be dolly towed other than the possibility of irregular tire wear due to loads be distributed in a manner outside of design or the angle of the vehicle and a different center of gravity than it was designed with. Unless I am mistaken when the transfer case is in neutral on this vehicle and it is being towed the vehicle is free wheeling with only the front and rear axles spinning in their bearings. There is no interlock between the front axle and the rear axle of any kind when the transfer case is in neutral and the ignition is off.

I am not going to be able to tow my Tahoe anyway because it is simply too much weight for the dolly and the MH. For the most part I can rent a car wherever we go and not have to worry about it but I would like to take the MH to Canada duck hunting some day and that will require a 4 WD vehicle which can be rented but is not supposed to be used as a 4 WD.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
were I a true redneck they would be proudly displayed in the front yard on blocks!
With the V8 hanging on the end of a chain from a tree limb..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow