Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought an Acme Dolly recently, I read just about everything available in this forum before I made the choice.
The car I bought to tow was capable of 4 down so I was not boxed in on that aspect.
The reasons for my going with the dolly was no modifications to the car, no tow plate installation, no brake system additions, no lighting hook-ups required, therefore much less cost. I did add a trailer hitch to the car so I could easily move or store the dolly if needed at site.
The Acme tow dolly can be bought new for about $2300 delivered with the no hassle hydraulic surge brakes, generally they seem to go for about $1400 used.

edit
The Acme only weighs 405 pounds.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
My experience with a tow dolly was great until I had a tire blowout on the dolly and was not aware for close to five or six miles on the highway as my DP just kept pulling and no indication of issue.

From a safety standpoint and comparing ease of hook/unhook with a tow bar I will never go back to a tow dolly since the rear camera nor invisibrake system shows a problem when it happens. IMHO.
MonacoIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
So you are saying that if you had a toad being pulled four down that you would have noticed a flat tire sooner than a flat tire on the dolly?
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
I always four down towed. I am into easy, and too old to push around a dolly. Blue ox has always been good.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #19

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Red face

Hey...

Just wanted to jump in and give my 2 cents worth. Hubby and I kept debating which route to go. We have a number of vehicles that we could tow with a dolly and we own several dollies...but my big concern is not how well anything was towed but how I could take care of the equpiment once we reached our destination.

I am the driver and the wrangler of the tow vehicle once we reach our distination. Hubby is handicapped and cannot assist in moving any type of dolly with me. I was not going to crawl underneath the dolly to strap the car on, nor could I muscle it around the campgrounds or NASCAR events to get it out of the way. (Many campgrounds have no room to store a dolly on or near your site...)

So, flat towing was the was for us. When my car needed to be replaced, we decided that the Honda CRV worked for us and could be towed 4-down.

When we arrive at any destination, I ask where I can detach the toad with the least amount of stress for any neighbors. I do it quickly and quietly. I pull it off to the side, park the rig, and then walk back to drive the car to our site. Then I finish setting up and the whole time Hubby can relax and watch the pups....

If I had a dolly...I would have to find a way to get it away from the RV and then store it somewhere after detaching the auto.... You may want to envision how you would be handling the dolly when you arrive at your ultimate destination. If you only go to a few places and you are fine with detaching and storage and you can move it manually...go for the dolly. But think about unusual campsites and small places that may not have the storage for the dolly....

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What car is the OP gonna bring along?

~If you have a car that can be flat towed - you might consider that.
~If you have a car that can't be towed flat - consider a dolly...rent a U-Haul dolly once to see what it is like on your RV and car.

Either way - PLEASE get brakes on the tow. Brakes are not always required by law...but it is smart and safe
~Not all Dolly's have brakes, but getting a dolly w/ brakes is easy - installed on the dolly (electric or surge) and ready to go.
~Brakes are not used by some who flat tow, are much more complicated, and expensive.

It makes me laugh when I read about someone buying a special car just so they can flat-tow - But that's great for them. I bought a car I wanted for me and the Mrs. to drive everyday of the year - it couldn't be flat towed, so we have a dolly.

Here's another vote for the insanely simple and easy to use EZE-Tow dolly.
Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company
It slides under the rear overhang of the RV in tight campsites. It is SO light (only 405lb on the tires - 30lb or less on the tongue) and easy to move when disconnected - plus we have a tiny hitch on the car (like for a bike rack), so the dolly never has to be rolled by hand more than a few feet

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was pulling my boat a few years back when the trailer blew a tire. By the time a trucker pulled up beside me and motioned, the wheel was down to a little biddy rim. That old diesel just kept pulling along and I had no indication of anything wrong. Luckily I had a spare.

Do you actually think that you would notice if you had a flat on your car you are towing? I think not. I have been RVing for forty years or so and consider myself experienced. Prior to that I drove over the road semis, and I don't plan to leave this forum.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several posts have been deleted. Please remain on topic and refrain from flaming or personal attacks on other members. Thanks.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I was pulling my boat a few years back when the trailer blew a tire. By the time a trucker pulled up beside me and motioned, the wheel was down to a little biddy rim. That old diesel just kept pulling along and I had no indication of anything wrong. Luckily I had a spare.

Do you actually think that you would notice if you had a flat on your car you are towing? I think not. I have been RVing for forty years or so and consider myself experienced. Prior to that I drove over the road semis, and I don't plan to leave this forum.
Well said, I believe what you say.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Personally, I would NEVER consider using a tow dolly! JMHO!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:52 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I use a KarKAddySS, not to many responses didn't state that you need to buy a breaking system towing 4 down and light hook ups. My SS has breaks and has lights. Althought I set mine up so the car lights also work. I didn't have anything but the front wheel drive caddie so I needed a dolly. I can tow almost anything with in weight limits.I was told that all said and done to set up my rig to tow 4 down would set me back almost $4 grand.
JMO and I am sticking to it.
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #26

Richard Brown here, Acme Tow Dolly Company. This debate has been on going for as long as I can remember. Almost always evenly split. Almost always very passionate. I think it is a very personal choice, to many variables for it to be yes or no one way or the other. As a dolly manufacturer I can tell you that around 20% our sales to RV users are to people who have been flat towing. They are happy with flat towing in general, but after paying to modify a second car, and now possibly a third car, they have decided to buy a tow dolly. Thus allowing them to tow 98% of all cars with little or no concern or additional expense. However, once that decision is made one must choose the right dolly carefully. I am not going to turn this into a commercial, just saying, take your time, choose carefully. ALso, Tow Dollies have remarkable resale value and resell very quickly. Tow Bars have little to no resell value even after just a little use. The single most important thing is that what ever one decides they should do it right and completely. There are enough hazards on the roads and you certainly do not want to become one. Happy and Safe Motoring.
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well said.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
I bought the EZETow almost two years ago and have never regretted it once. I can tow any of my front wheel drive cars, and to be honest, the DW and I have loading and unloading almost down to a science.

Tags
dolly