Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Dolly question

Hi:

Well, we took the leap and ordered our first class "A" (coming from a 5th wheel).

We are about to order a dolly to go with it. I know with our fifth wheel, upon arrival at our "spot", we back in, drop the trailer and park the pickup.
With the new Berkshire and a dolly pulling our toad, what is the procedure? Pull up to the spot, drive the car off the dolly, then what?
Do most folks back in with the dolly still hooked up? If not, how do you get the dolly off the road from where you dropped it?

Looking forward to lots of great trips with this.

Thanks for any help.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
You can't back up with a dolly attached... most definitely not with a car still loaded. Always unload the car and unhook the dolly before backing up. My 2

TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #3

If not going to a pull site, I will drop car and dolly at the entrance to the camp so I won't be required to maneuver around stuff in in camp. I have a hitch on the toad so I just connect dolly to the toad and pull it to the parking spot. I have the Demco 460 dolly. The ramps and the tongue will fold so it doesn't take up a lot of space. On a 60 foot site I have room for MH, dolly folded and stowed in front of MH and toad.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #4

If not a pull through site, I get as close as I can to where we are going to place the coach where the road/driveway is straight and level then remove the car. Wife then drives the car to a parking spot. I proceed with the coach to where we are going to back in pull past the spot a ways then disconnect the dolly from the coach and place it on a cheap trailer dolly I got on Amazon and wheel it into the parking spot. I them back up the coach and back up over the dolly - about 75 percent of the dolly ends up under the coach. My DW is a great ground guide for when Im backing into camping spots and over the dolly.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do Not Backup with a dolly attached. It will jack knife within about 5ft. Like the others have said, unload first.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #6

What azcactus said but I walk it back without any other equipment on the dolly. Just hold it where the hitch is.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In a campground I'm unfamiliar with I unload the TOAD at the entrance when we arrive. My wife drives ahead of my with a cheap 2 way radio to be sure everything is clear before I drive the coach in. It has saved us a few small headaches. As you've already head loud and clear, don't back up!
Old 10-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #8

Ditto. Never back up. First, if you have surge brakes on the dolly it can disengage them and you won't realize it. Second, you will jack knife it every time.

I usually just try to get a pull through so I don't have to unhook the dolly, but if I can't I do like the others except I unload and unhook at or near our site so I can store the dolly on the site and I never have had an instance where I can't. It is important to unload on a straight-away so the car and ramps have had a chance to straighten up. Otherwise, you are unloading the car at an angle where things can go wrong.

Don
Old 10-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Just a suggestion , I don't know what a dolly cost,? but I would seriously think about towing 4 down, I helped a friend push one of those around, they are not light, My little 99 Jeep Cherokee was $5.000.00 easy hook up and unhook, in only Minutes .
Old 10-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Hi:

Well, we took the leap and ordered our first class "A" (coming from a 5th wheel).

We are about to order a dolly to go with it. I know with our fifth wheel, upon arrival at our "spot", we back in, drop the trailer and park the pickup.
With the new Berkshire and a dolly pulling our toad, what is the procedure? Pull up to the spot, drive the car off the dolly, then what?
Do most folks back in with the dolly still hooked up? If not, how do you get the dolly off the road from where you dropped it?

Looking forward to lots of great trips with this.

Thanks for any help.

Ken
If your toad does not have a hitch have one installed, when you arrive at the campground unload the toad from the dolly , hitch the dolly to the toad and use the toad to move the dolly around until your rv is situated at your campsite. That's how we will do it when we finally get our dolly. I refuse to own a vehicle without a hitch anyway. .. you would be surprised how often they come in handy
Old 10-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lued View Post
Just a suggestion , I don't know what a dolly cost,? but I would seriously think about towing 4 down, I helped a friend push one of those around, they are not light, My little 99 Jeep Cherokee was $5.000.00 easy hook up and unhook, in only Minutes .
Our Dolly cost about $1,400 new. We have two vehicles we tow and one of them cannot be equipped for 4 down so it often isn't just a question of cost, but that can be a factor. Towing 4 down is a good option for most but not for all.

Don
Old 10-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I've pulled canoe trailers, 28' sailboats and just about everything else. Go down to a shopping mall, find lots of space and learn how to back up your tow dolly attached to your car, don't look back - use the mirrors. After you get pretty good (about 4 afternoons) them go down with the MH and learn how to do it. You've got a back up camera and two mirrors. Take it slow and easy and pull forward if it gets to far out of hand. When we were in Alb NM, we needed a panel taken off and the body shop said they'd do it if we'd pull into the lot - then comes getting out. The MH, dolly, and van were still in a straight line and I was able to back it up about 12' before the van started to turn. But the 12' was far enough and we were able to leave. I must admit that I was lucky but I decided to try it, I had nothing to lose and everything to gain, before I had to disconnect the parade.

I personally, would not have a trailer (tow dolly) that I couldn't back up. Sometimes you might have to "lock out" the surge brake applicator.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For a back-in site...when you stop at the CampGround office is a good time to unload the dolly...then just pull the dolly to the site with the RV.
Then drop the dolly just to the side of the site and move it later.
Your car will be waiting for you back at the office, in a nice, safe marked spot.

For a pull through site...don't touch the car until you need it. The dolly will rotate up as the RV's leveling jacks move.

We got a little Class I hitch for the toad that doubles as a bike carrier rack holder, just in the case we needed to move the dolly farther than a few feet. But that just hasn't been needed yet...still nice to have.

We love our dolly! We can change cars with no equipment mods to the car. The car is safe and happy, riding high away from rockstrikes and free of mileage added to the lower driveline...and our dolly has surge/disc brakes, so no need for supplimental brakes on the car or a brake controller in the RV. So EZE

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've towed the same vehicle ('05 Honda Odyssey) with the same MH both on a dolly and four down. From a wear standpoint I prefer the dolly (KK-460), for ease of towing I prefer a dolly. But I don't really like having to park the dolly somewhere else and it is kind of hard to push around.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly