Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I just found the manual online. Googled "2013 jeep wrangler owners manual" and the first link showed the official Jeep pdf file. Page 540 shows instructions how to tow behind a motorhome.

It specifically states not to dolly tow. Also, states and i quote,

"Front or rear wheel lifts should not be used. Internal damage to the transmission or transfer case will occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing".
Yes, my manual said the same thing. I and one dealer service manager believe it is a carry over from the full time transfer cases like the 249 and 247 TC's or any current TC that is considered "Full Time 4WD" that does not have a 2wd option. If you removed the front DS or towed a Grand Cherokee with the 249 or 247 TC on a dolly, you would burn up the viscous coupler that transfers power to the front wheels when the rear wheels slipped. If the TC does not have a 2wd position, you can not tow it with a dolly. The TC in the Wrangler has the 2wd and some even have lockout hubs that when in 2wd, the front DS is not turning. That is the same condition when the front wheels are on a dolly. I know it works and no harm will come to the TC or transmission. I towed my 2010 JKU for over 4000 miles without a problem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 07:25 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
If you want to tow a Jeep on a dolly, there is no need to pull the rear driveshaft. Just put the TC in neutral and the transmission in park. Everyone says not to do it, but it is no different that driving that same jeep on the road in 2wd with the front DS removed....
Except it's not. The front end is still rotating when being driven.

GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Except it's not. The front end is still rotating when being driven.

No, the front driveshaft is "NOT" turning if the Jeep has lockout hubs in the front, and they are disconnected, while driving in 2wd. While in 2wd, the front drive is disengaged in the TC, however, front wheels rotating will turn the axle shafts which in turn rotates the front DS. To reduce gear wear, lockout hubs are available and installed which disengages the front wheels from the axle shafts. Without the wheels driving the axle shafts, the front DS does not rotate.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am pretty sure we probably have the OP pretty confused by now... best if we can stick to the original question.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I am pretty sure we probably have the OP pretty confused by now... best if we can stick to the original question.
You're probably correct. I meant to point out to him and others that it is not necessary to remove or disconnect the rear DS while dolly towing a JKU. Some say it can't be done without damage. They're wrong, as I have done it without any kind of problem. Each to his own opinion.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
No, the front driveshaft is "NOT" turning if the Jeep has lockout hubs in the front, and they are disconnected, while driving in 2wd....

How many decades has it been since Jeep sold a vehicle with lock out hubs? (Wish they still did).
GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
How many decades has it been since Jeep sold a vehicle with lock out hubs? (Wish they still did).
They are available to add to an existing Jeep. Of course you have to change axle shafts too. I have them on my 05 LJ. Most off road enthusiast's have them if they will be driving on the road. I only used that as an example of how a TJ, or JK can be towed on a dolly without removing the rear driveshaft. It's no different that running in 2wd with lockout hubs disengaged.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:51 PM   #22

As others stated if you want to be able to take different vehicles your best bet is to get a trailer, to start I believe they can cost similar money to what a tow dolly costs and you can bring whatever you want. The bad with this is some camping areas will charge you extra for holding a extra trailer at their camping area.

Towing 4 down is by far the easiest however as you know you are limited to what you can bring however you do not have to deal with the trailer at the camping area or keeping it somewhere at home.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
As others stated if you want to be able to take different vehicles your best bet is to get a trailer, to start I believe they can cost similar money to what a tow dolly costs and you can bring whatever you want. The bad with this is some camping areas will charge you extra for holding a extra trailer at their camping area.

Towing 4 down is by far the easiest however as you know you are limited to what you can bring however you do not have to deal with the trailer at the camping area or keeping it somewhere at home.
You also have to consider the extra weight involved with a full trailer. I too would like a full trailer but the weight of my jeep plus trailer exceeds my tow capacity.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:58 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can tow the Wrangler on a dolly if and only if you disconnect the rear drive shaft. Same for any rear drive vehicle. If you remove the driveshaft, you will have to figare a way to seal up the end of the output shaft so the t/case fluid doesn't leak out.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
You can tow the Wrangler on a dolly if and only if you disconnect the rear drive shaft. Same for any rear drive vehicle. If you remove the driveshaft, you will have to figare a way to seal up the end of the output shaft so the t/case fluid doesn't leak out.
jt
Where have you been? I have done it and proved that a Wrangler "CAN" be towed on a dolly without disconnecting the rear DS.

Edit: If you ask a dealer if you can tow a JK on a dolly, he will give you an automatic text book no. Then tell him you have damaged the front driveshaft and have to remove it for repairs, but that you need to still drive it. Ask if you will damage anything if you drive it without the front DS in it. The answer I got was no there will be no damage. Then I asked him what was the difference between driving without a front DS and towing it on a dolly. After a short silence, he admitted there was no difference as far as the TC and transmission were concerned. I then drove it onto a dolly and towed it over 4000 miles. No problem.

Tags
dolly, tow