Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #1

Dolly tow a 2013 Jeep Wrangler

Considering a dolly to tow my 2013 Jeep Wrangler (automatic tranny). Any special considerations , like dropping the drive shaft, with this toad set up?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #2

First question is why try to put the easiest vehicle to set up to flat tow on a dolly? 4x4 wrangler will not work on a dolly, all 4 wheels either have to be on the ground or off the ground. I guess a 2wd could be towed on a dolly if you removed the driveshaft.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:55 PM   #3

The Jeep Wrangler is a simple, easy, and one of the most popular to tow four down. Just wondering why you would not want to flat tow it?
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Roger is correct, not dolly towable. As other asked, why would one want to do so?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:12 AM   #5

Thanks. New to this so I was looking for info on the best way to handle. I was trying to be able to tow anything, rather than having to configure multiple vehicles for 4 down.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Roger is correct, not dolly towable. As other asked, why would one want to do so?
I was trying to have the ability to tow different vehicles without having to set them all up with tow bars. New to this, so I asked the question. Thanks for answering.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:20 AM   #7

Get a trailer that it will fit on
Old 08-07-2016, 12:07 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz4207 View Post
Considering a dolly to tow my 2013 Jeep Wrangler (automatic tranny). Any special considerations , like dropping the drive shaft, with this toad set up?
Fill in your Signature so that we can better help you in your quest.
Your MH will determine What you can tow and how you can tow it. so give us that info please.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Fill in your Signature so that we can better help you in your quest.
Your MH will determine What you can tow and how you can tow it. so give us that info please.
2016 Allegra Red 38qra
Old 08-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tow the Jeep from aftermarket bumper or base plate. Install base plate on other toads. All using same tow bar, such as a Blue Ox. Use a brake system that can be readily moved from toad to toad.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
First of all you CAN use a tow dolly with a jeep wrangler. I tow a 2006 Rubicon auto with a master tow dolly with surge brakes with no problems, I do however remove the rear drive shaft. As for reasons why I don't trust all the electrical braking systems that everyone seems to have trouble with and I too want brakes and the ability to tow different vehicles without buying multiple base plates. Also if I went with a trailer with my class c I would be over weight.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverat View Post
First of all you CAN use a tow dolly with a jeep wrangler. I tow a 2006 Rubicon auto with a master tow dolly with surge brakes with no problems, I do however remove the rear drive shaft. As for reasons why I don't trust all the electrical braking systems that everyone seems to have trouble with and I too want brakes and the ability to tow different vehicles without buying multiple base plates. Also if I went with a trailer with my class c I would be over weight.
Agree, pull the rear drive shaft and it can go on a dolly. My responses were based upon not having to do such each time. If this is acceptable it can be a solution.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:20 PM   #13

If you want to tow a Jeep on a dolly, there is no need to pull the rear driveshaft. Just put the TC in neutral and the transmission in park. Everyone says not to do it, but it is no different that driving that same jeep on the road in 2wd with the front DS removed. I posed that condition to three Jeep service managers for my 2010 Unlimited JK saying that I had damaged the front DS and had to remove it. They said no problem. I had a "Tandem Dolly" that carried a Goldwing trike on a platform in front of the dolly with the front wheels of the JK on it. Drove WI to Idaho, to AZ, and back to WI without a problem. It works better to flat tow it with all four wheels down, but can be done with a dolly too if you want.

edit: A dolly is a good option if you might want to tow other vehicles as long as they are front wheel drive or if 4wd and have a 2wd option in the transfer case.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:58 PM   #14

I just found the manual online. Googled "2013 jeep wrangler owners manual" and the first link showed the official Jeep pdf file. Page 540 shows instructions how to tow behind a motorhome.

It specifically states not to dolly tow. Also, states and i quote,

"Front or rear wheel lifts should not be used. Internal damage to the transmission or transfer case will occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing".

Tags
dolly, tow