Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2017, 05:58 AM   #1

Dolly tow BMW X1 or Mini Clubman

Does anyone know, or better yet currently doing, if the 2017 BWX X1, Mini Clubman/Countryman can be dolly towed.

While leaning towards a Buick Envision as a toad to replace my soon to be bought back VW Passat TDI (not used as a toad), Also on the short list is the 2016/17 BMW X1, Mini Clubman, and announced but not released Countryman, which are all built on the same chassis and share the 2.0L drivetrain. Search of Mini toads are all previous models with totally different drivetrains, and of course, BMW never had a front wheel drive until the X1.

Dealer wasn't certain, and online manual totally omit "Recreational Towing" and of course Mini's historic and very conservative "not approved" has a credibility issue as successfully done by many on RV forums...and even Blue Ox sells baseplates for older models. Due to warranty issues, wouldn't modify for dingy towing if was " unofficially possible" until warranty expired, so even then would dolly tow. I realize AWD cannot dolly tow, but living in Florida, FWD is fine and 90% of what dealers stock.

Only thing holding me back on the Envision is awaiting clarification from Buick if the 2.5L version released this year can be dingy towed as page 303 of the owners manual is very non-specific inferring all can without engine/drive reference, but appears to be a copy of the wording from the 2016 manual when only the 2.0L AWD existed. Manuals for other GM models, such as the Enclave and Equinox/Terrain twins, are far more specific. If they say I have to dolly tow the 2.5L, then that brings the BMW/Mini into the picture as they are all cheaper than paying $6000 more for the 2.0L Envision and they are at least 500 lbs lighter.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #2

I don't know the specific answer to your question and have not towed either vehicle you mention. I have towed several different front wheel drive vehicles with success. I have been surprised that more and more front wheel drive vehicles are not approved for dolly towing. I just discovered a possible reason and that is many of the newer model cars have electronic parking brakes that "lock" the rear wheels when in park. This is unlike the older and simpler cars that "locked" the transmission and not the wheels when in park. I'm not an expert and don't know if this could be the reason, just saying it might be a possibility. Good luck.
Shawn E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #3

But aren't all the Minis that are being flat towed for recreational purposes have a manual transmission? You didn't mention transmission type. I question whether 90% of dealer stock in FL are FWD manual transmission units. Or are they?

I just read an article that the 2017 X1 will not be offered with a manual transmission here in the U.S. Therefore, I highly doubt it will be flat towable even being FWD. As you know, most FWD vehicles with a manual transmission usually are mechanically able to be flat towed but many manufacturers will not endorse their FWD automatics to be flat towed.

Take the VWs for example, many tow FWD VWs with a manual transmission but nobody I know tows one with an automatic transmission. VW does not "endorse" any of their vehicles to be recreationally flat towed even if they are FWD with a manual transmission.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #4

When you refer to page 303 of the Envision owner's manual, I'm confused. On page 298, it doesn't specify any particular engine or drive train configuration when it explains how to "recreational tow" the vehicle. I take that to mean that any engine and either FWD or AWD can be dinghy towed.

It does give restrictions on dolly towing, however, as it pertains to FWD or AWD.

Are you looking at the current 2017 owner's manual? Recreational towing explanation starts on page 297 and ends on page 299.

PDF copy of 2017 Buick Envision owner's manual: GO HERE

eta: My apologies. Please disregard both my posts as I'm a bit confused. I didn't catch the title of your thread. I assumed you were contemplating flat-towing an X1 or MINI which it kind of sounded in your post but maybe you were talking about using a dolly ...?? I would think a FWD X1, MINI, or Envision would all be okay on a dolly but I'm just guessing.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:06 PM   #5

Thanks Theroc and Shawn. I will have to check on the electronic parking brake issue. As I recall from some BMW forum there was a procedure to override that was complicated and they changed it after complaints. But not certain current set-up.

That's weird about the owner's manual. Apparently different printings but they say the same. I got mine from buick.com, down in the footer menus, one was to download brochures. Yes, was only looking to dolly tow the BMW/Mini for several reasons. Yes, BMW only comes with an automatic and the "S" Countryman will only be automatic. You can get a manual in the Clubman and Countryman models with the base engine, and the Clubman S. If had a manual still wouldn't dingy to it as 1) officially not recommended and would void the warranty, and 2) totally new engine and drive with BMW technology where the known "OK to dingy" were models developed prior to BMW purchase of Mini, so completely different.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow