Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #1
Dolly towing a 2001 Tracker 4wd auto

would like to tow my tracker behind my motorhome. Im getting mixed reports that I can tow on a dolly. any help

Telcomt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What does the owner's manual say about recreational towing?

While I am not familiar with the Tracker, typically, any 4WD / AWD vehicle cannot be towed on a dolly, at least not without removing a driveshaft. Spinning one axle while the other is stationary is hard on the transfer case even in a Neutral gear position.

1995 Coachmen Santara 360MB 36' w/slide.
Ford F53/460 chassis, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee "toad"
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
What does the owner's manual say about recreational towing?

EXACTLY!! That's what's needed for proper info on whether or not you can or, cannot flat tow. If you can, you will eliminate the need and or the hassle of a dolly. If you do not have an owners manual, then find one online.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by Telcomt2 View Post
would like to tow my tracker behind my motorhome. Im getting mixed reports that I can tow on a dolly. any help
I agree with checking your owners manual first. You may be able to tow if you have a manual transfer case on your Tracker that allows you to shift into the neutral position. After doing this all 4 wheels should be free wheeling. You should be able to tow either with a dolly or 4 down.

NOTE: The owners manual will give you further instructions on unlocking the steering wheel and setting the tranny in the correct mode and lubricating it.

Check the manual!!!!!
Charlie Tuit, 2002 Journey, 32T, XL7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:35 PM   #5
I had a 2003 auto 4x4 flat towed it for 20000 or 30000 miles. If I remember right the instruction was in the manual. go to remco and check what they say
I put the transfer case into neutral and the transmission in park I think I know it felt strange to do but worked fine. Again if I remember the stick shift model was not towable.
Mine was the soft top I loved it my wife hated every minuet she was in the car. I now pull a terrain.

John, Pat and the cat named BOO
HONDA FIT in tow
johnboy2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:31 PM   #6
No Need for Tow Dolly

Why bother with a tow dolly? We have a 1999 Chevy Tracker 4WD with auto trans that we have towed for well over 50,000 miles. All you have to do is put the 4WD transfer case in neutral, transmission in Park and ignition key on accessory and you are good to go! Great tow vehicle and great to explore on or off road with from your base camp. Very reliable, low cost vehicle. Ours has 140,000 miles on it and it is still going strong.

2013 Lifestyle LS35SB 5th wheel with no tow vehicle.
Parked in RV Resort in Florida during winter season and stored in covered storage during summer.
Delrob is offline   Reply With Quote

towing, tow, dolly