Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2007, 11:38 AM   #1

I MUST tow my 2004 automatic Jeep Liberty 4x4 with a tow dolly, behind a U-Haul truck. The truck only has a ball hitch so I cannot use my Roadmaster towbar/4-down configuration.

My questions:
Can I simply run the car up on the dolly, strap it down, and put the Jeep in its usual towing configuration? [Key turned to unlock steering, transfer case in N, tranny in P, brake 'off.']

Is it OK to allow the steering to remain unlocked on the dolly? If it must be locked, does that in any way affect the transmission, etc?

Has anyone done this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2007, 11:38 AM   #2

I MUST tow my 2004 automatic Jeep Liberty 4x4 with a tow dolly, behind a U-Haul truck. The truck only has a ball hitch so I cannot use my Roadmaster towbar/4-down configuration.

My questions:
Can I simply run the car up on the dolly, strap it down, and put the Jeep in its usual towing configuration? [Key turned to unlock steering, transfer case in N, tranny in P, brake 'off.']

Is it OK to allow the steering to remain unlocked on the dolly? If it must be locked, does that in any way affect the transmission, etc?

Has anyone done this?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #3

Check you owners manual on this. I don't know if the Liberty has Quadradrive or not, but my Grand Cherokee does and it cannot be towed with only two wheels on the ground without damage.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #4

You may have to disconnect the drive shaft to the rear axle and either remove it or wire it up out of the way. Like JoeT suggested, check the owners manual.

2004 Adventurer 38R
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #5

Thanks. The owner's manual says no towing 2 wheels down. I bought a used towbar that will fit on my Roadmaster brackets, that will connect to the UHaul ball. Just have to set up the elec. now.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:30 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I had an incident in September that required me to tow my 2005 Liberty with a two wheel dolly and had no problem whatsoever. If the dolly has moveable plates for the front wheels like the U-Haul I rented, you don't need to even leave the key in the ignition. Put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park and go... safe travels

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #7

Thanks for all the opinions. I am in the process of towing my Jeep 2000 miles four-down behind the U-Haul truck. I found a used ball-type towbar for $100, so that beats $319 for a trailer from U-Haul. I used my own elec. cable, 7-pin to 4-flat. It didn't work until I got hitched up and the hitch then acts as a ground. Don't know anything about that stuff, but apparently that's how it works! Tows great, btw.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2hdcabc<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JanBCarter:
I had an incident in September that required me to tow my 2005 Liberty with a two wheel dolly and had no problem whatsoever. If the dolly has moveable plates for the front wheels like the U-Haul I rented, you don't need to even leave the key in the ignition. Put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park and go... safe travels </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Have you checked your Owners manual? I hope you have a 2 wheel drive Liberty. The 4 wheel drive Jeeps cannot be towed with a dolly. It will damage the transfer case.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote