Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
Dolly VS Trailer towing

We are just getting started and are debating which is the best way to go: Tow with a dolly or to buy a trailer and put the car on it. All help and suggestions are welcome. We have 2002 Bounder and would be towing a 2004 accord. In advance, thanks for your time.

mardigras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Being relatively new to RVs also myself I'm still going through the same thing except I already owned a trailer and dolly.

I did one 300+mile test trip with the trailer and 98 Explorer sport with no problems and another 600+ few weeks ago with the same Explorer and a dolly.

So far my choice would be the dolly only because I can easily unhook it when stopped in a shorter site and scoot it under the rear of the bus whereas with the trailer I would have had to unload and park it somewhere else.

I'll be trying a tow bar next.

When I get my little Spider back on the road (total weight 2300lbs) I plan on that being my toad most of the time, I would have been in great shape weight wise towing it on the trailer but I really see the trailer overnight storage when needed as being a huge problem far offsetting my ability to back up with it.

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Check on the '04 Accord; it might be towable 4 down. That's easier than the others!
Jeanie, Ed & Slade the GSD
Cape Cod, MA
2011 Jounrey 40L & Sierra Crew
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been debating dolly or 4 down. When asking at camp grounds I would say 9 out 10 say 4 down. I would have to buy a seperate car to toad, I don't want to set up my van or DWs car with tow bar.
Mike, Janet & Duchess (cavalier King Charles)
2008 35B windsport, Brazel's rear TracBar, Koni shocks & Safe T plus steering
mikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
I've done both. For better than 25 years we towed our car behind our various MH's using a Demco dolly with surge brakes. With the exception of a blowout on the dolly tire once, we never had a problem. The dolly stored on our pad at home under the front of the MH with only about 4ft sticking out. When traveling the dolly would either remain on the MH or we would unhitch and push it into the spot, or slide it next to the spot, or push it under the back of the MH to save room. Never really a problem, just one more step in setting up. The advantage was that while each MH lasted us many years, we tended to trade in cars every 2 to 3 years. When we traveled alone we could tow a small car. When we took all the kids we could tow the station wagon. We even towed a friends front wheel drive pickup once to a gathering where it was the vehicle of choice. I have no regrets regarding the years we used the dolly and I have always been treated well by Demco's customer service.
We now tow our Saturn Vue flat. When we purchased our current MH all the kids were out on their own. We knew we would keep the tow car probably as long as the MH. My knees and back are just not what they used to be, same with the ankles, hands, fingers, etc. So we purchased a Demco untralight tow bar, about 25lbs, and we tow a 4 passenger car (fits 5 in a pinch) and all is well.
Hope this helps.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Thank you all. Big help.
mardigras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is a good car dolly, Or are they pretty much the same. I'm thinking about doing the same.

Dave Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, let's look at the quesition. 3 ways to tow (Well 4) 4-down, Dolly, Trailer (open/enclosed)

4-Down. Lightest hook up, also the easiest, and no trailer of any kind to wrangle when parked. This is by far the best choice if you can do it.

Dolly.. On my rig this is easy to store since I can simply back onto the site part way, drop the trailer and back over it (I have the ground clearance to do that) but not everyone has a "Back side" that high off the ground. It is much harder to hook up, you have to stop and check the straps (A bother) and you only have two wheels braking on the "Trailer" I basically think this is not the best choice,, Though I may be forced into it some day.

Trailer,, See the above comments about it being harder to hook up.. They apply equally here.. HOWEVER you now have ALL WHEEL braking again (This is good) plus zero wear on most of the car (Some on the shocks is all) and if you opt for the ENCLOSED type of trailer... You have a mobile "Garage" which cn protect the towed from weather, and other things.

Of course, it's harder still to "Stow" when camped.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't forget, you cannot back up a tow dolly with car on it. Nor can you back up 4 down. We tow 4 down so we can pull the p/u truck with mc in the bed. If we were to change, it would be a trailer to put car and mc in it.

David & Gail Salisbury, NC
2003 American Eagle 42'
denochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tow dolly is the way! 2008 Bounder towing Hyundai Sonata for the last two years. Very easy to hook up, load and unload, easy to store. Master Tow is a good brand!]
ToddGaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
4-Down. Lightest hook up, also the easiest, and no trailer of any kind to wrangle when parked. This is by far the best choice if you can do it.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a MasterTow Dolly 80THD (electric brakes). Yes, backing is a problem but it is really easy to snatch the car off. We tow a 2004 Volvo wagon front wheel drive. Never had a problem in any RV park. Easy to unhook and move around manually if needed and stores neatly behind coach. Just my preference rather than modifying my car for 4 down.
Lynda & Ronny Sarasota, Florida
2005 DutchStar DP 3809
Sammy (Brussels Griffon\Maltese)
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
Tow dolly one time...in the rain, nastiest unhook experience ever. All else being equal four down if possible.
Happy Trails
06 Dynasty Countess III
07 Hummer H3///05 Suzi Thumper
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
Winnebago Owners Club
We purchased a Landgrebe TD 40 101 with electric brakes. Winnebago had a warning about not using surge brakes in the owners manual so we went electric. Very happy with the trailer and the Landgrebe's. They didn't have a dealer on the west coast close to us so they shipped it direct to my house.

2010 Itasca Suncruiser, 37F, W24
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote