Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #1

Dolly Winter Storage

I have a new ACME EZE Tow dolly that I have used once this year. I don't have a garage to put it in and am concerned with just leaving it out in the weather. It won't fit into my shed (too much stuff and too narrow a door) so I cam trying to figure out if there is a way to protect it so it won't rust over the winter months.

Has anyone come up with a reasonable cost solution?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The powder-coat finish on the frame is pretty stout, but the axle ends (brakes, hubs, wheel bolts) and tongue (hitch and surge brake control) should be protected from extended exposure to moisture.

We use RV tire covers on the dolly in storage and with the size of the dolly wheels, the covers fit over the entire axle end.

If we had snow, I would put the dolly up on-end against the shed wall, with the frame on blocks. Then cover the entire dolly with a tarp...yes, it can be stood-up (tongue up) with no issue for the brakes...another benefit of the EZE-Tows light-weight.

Another iRV2 member has stored his EZE-Tow against a wall (on it's butt) for long periods with no problems.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
How about getting it shrink wrapped like a boat?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I think Scarab0088 had the best suggestions. Shrink wrapping would be expensive and perhaps seal moisture in and promote rust. On all exposed metal except the brakes I'd use a protective spray to retard rusting. Tilting it up against the shed and a tarp would protect it about as well as outside storage can provide. The tarp would shed rain and snow (if your location gets it) but still allow drying out in between times.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #5

I am going to store the coach at an indoor facility. I think I will swing by and find out how much more it would cost to tuck it under the back of the coach. Storage is based on length so hopefully not too much more.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The entire dolly fits under the rear overhang of our RV (used 2 times in tight RV spots)...should be the same for a Canyon Star(?) Just have to move any rock guard/ultraguard if so equipped.

If it's too tight under the rear on somebodies DP - or easier on a Gas powered RV, maybe push it under the front?

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #7

The other problem is mice. I'm rewiring a Stehl right now that has no intact wiring in it. Some of the problems can be from inadequate protection from chafing but that does not account for missing insulation in the middle of a wire run or all the grass in the tubes.

FWIW I think I am going to rewire with all the wiring outside the trailer tubes. Mice do not fit in the size conduit I would use and I do not have to screw around trying to fish wire into places I cannot easily reach. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I am going to store the coach at an indoor facility. I think I will swing by and find out how much more it would cost to tuck it under the back of the coach. Storage is based on length so hopefully not too much more.
Just make sure the dolly fits when the air bags are deflated. If you fear mice will eat your wires, you could try peppermint spray or perhaps a bit of poison bait inside a dolly tube.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #9

I do have of the Mouse Free I can use on the dolly, that should keep them away. However, the storage facility has a very active rodent control service and others I have spoke to who keep their coaches in the facility have not had any mouse issues at all. That alone is almost worth the cost of storage.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #10

Just as a follow up. I purchased two moving dollies from Harbor Freight and laid out some plywood. I put each tire on a dolly and with my wife and two daughters we were able to push the dolly sideways into my 12X16 storage shed. I had to hold the hitch at about a 45 degree angle through the doorway due to the narrow width but it is in there and out of the weather for the winter.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the update
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
dolly, storage, winter