Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #1

dollying a Nissan Maxima

Hello all. I am a newbie to this site and to motorhomes. We are planning our first big trip in the spring from Indiana to New Mexico. Anyone have experience or know if a Maxima will work ok on a tow dolly. Any advice on the New Mexico trip is welcome as well.

MotorhomeTom
2000 Newmar Mountain Aire 3796

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
dollying

WELCOME, you will love this site. We are newer since august to the site and have learned lots. We have been camping for about 16 years. We don't tow but are thinking of towing. I like the idea of a dolly. Most of the info about dolly towing is negative. Most people like 4 down. I understand from the post on dollys you can toe anything that fits between the tires.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #3

I am purchasing a nissan altima with the intent of using a dolly to pull it behind a 31J Class C to TX in Spring and SD in summer from NW AR. There is only 2 inches different in width between the two vehicles. I assume by your question that you need to purchase a dolly or do you plan to rent one? I am going to purchase one and I have learned that I want a dolly with brakes and self steering wheels. The self steering is a nicety but brakes are a must have. I can share my dolly research if that is of interest.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dollying

I understand in talking with some dolley dealers that the dollies with self steering wheeles can some times not return to stright. Thay recommend tilting platform units, they sell both so not trying to sell either over the other. feed back on this would be great, we are in the market also for a dolly.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
When much younger I used a tow dolly, platform with pivot, and I towed a Nissan Maxima on it many miles without any problems. The only downside was finding a place to park it in some RV parks. I installed a light weight hitch on the Maxima to tow it to the RV park storage if required.

I recommend you install 'bearing buddies' and carry a grease gun I learned this the hard way.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:43 AM   #6

MotorhomeTom - thanks for the info on self steering not returning straight, what were the names of the manufacturers of the dollies you considered w/ self steering?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dollying

Check this site. www.americancardolly.com
Old 01-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
HI,

I don't think there would be and problem towing your vehicle on a tow dolly. I have a Roadmaster tow dolly which has steering and it always comes back as there is actually a steering rod between the tries with a grease fitting at the joint. I have towed my Honda 11,361 miles with my tow dolly and didn't have any problems with it. Now I am going to tow our new Ford Escape with it.The dolly does have electric brakes and there is a brake controller in the RV. I also added 2 items to it, one is a third wheel in case I have to disconnect it from RV at a campground and push it around and the second item I installed was a spare tire on the tongue as I don't like to buy tires if I have a flat. Speaking of campgrounds I usually request a pull through site and leave the dolly attached to the RV but I disconnect the wiring plug so as not to draw down the battery.

The Roadmaster tow dolly is a fine unit and it is easy to load and unload the car in fact my wife unloads it for me most of the time. The latest thing I had to do was to get longer tie down straps as tires on Escape are 16" and not 14" like the Honda had but that was no big deal.

You can PM me if you have any other questions. Good Luck and enjoy your trip to NW.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote