Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #1

Don't let this happen to you

So I purchased the Acme Ezetow dolly to tow the Mini. My neighbor helped me hook everything up the day before we were scheduled to leave for Lake Tahoe. Test drove it for about 20 miles and everything works great. Attached the removable Rhino ramps as per the instructions. Neighbor says, shouldn't you just put them in a storage bay. I says nah, they're supposed to store on the dolly. We start out this morning for our first en route stop in Bakersfield. I stopped after about 50 miles to check the straps and they were still very tight, only required one click on the ratchet. Ramps looked secure too.

About 30 miles from Bakersfield I panned the rear view camera down to check the front of the Mini, and what do I NOT see, the ramps. Somehow, they must have worked themselves loose and escaped. What surprises me the most is NOBODY ever tried to flag me down when these two fairly large ramps made their exit. Must have happened on an open stretch when no one else was nearby.

After we arrived at the RV park, I checked my Acme literature and found that in the event your ramps need to be replaced, you can get them at Walmart or Autozone. Contacted Autozone (5 miles from the park). They had them in stock and would gladly deliver them to my site! Driver just delivered them and I put them away, IN A STORAGE BAY.

Moral of the story is, if you have something that you cannot operate without while on the road, store it in a safe location!!

Wyatt

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had an Acme dolly for a while. I drilled holes through the sides of the rhino ramps and attached them to the dolly frame with a security cable & padlock to prevent theft. It would also prevent them falling off if the ratchet strap slackened.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,
You should have bought a Roadmaster Tow Dolly and that wouldn't have happened, but glad you were able to get new ramps.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,
You should have bought a Roadmaster Tow Dolly and that wouldn't have happened, but glad you were able to get new ones
After buying the second set of ramps.
He probably still has more money in his pocket, then he would had if he bought a Roadmaster dolly.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
After buying the second set of ramps.
He probably still has more money in his pocket, then he would had if he bought a Roadmaster dolly.
I guess I better not say anything about our Demco KarKAtty SS then, but we love it.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #6

acme tow dolly

Actually, the dolly performed perfectly, towed straight as an arrow and I really appreciated those disc brakes on the I-80 from Sacramento to Truckee with those long downgrades. And by moving the ramps into a storage bay it gives me a place to mount the spare tire on the frame. I'm going to call Acme when we get home next week to see if that would in anyway interfere with the surge brakes.
Thanks for all the replies.
Wyatt
Old 08-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The moral of this story has been set to music.. But I won't go there today.

It was discovered one day by one Mrs. Murphy, and thus is now known as MURPHY's LAW.

'If Anything can go wrong, it will'

And never forget Davis' Corollary (By the way I wrote it and my name is Davis).

"If nothing can go wrong... It will anyway"

Oh, when did Mrs. Murphy discover this law.... Right after they ladeled a pair of her husband's trousers out of the chowder pot.. You may have heard the song.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt earp View Post
Actually, the dolly performed perfectly, towed straight as an arrow and I really appreciated those disc brakes on the I-80 from Sacramento to Truckee with those long downgrades. And by moving the ramps into a storage bay it gives me a place to mount the spare tire on the frame. I'm going to call Acme when we get home next week to see if that would in anyway interfere with the surge brakes.
Thanks for all the replies.
Wyatt
Congrats on the dolly working perfectly...my EZE-Tow has done the same for over 10,000miles and I bought it second hand!

And, I have always kept my ramps and the spare in a bin of the RV, just for security...want to keep honest people honest.

I would guess that mounting the spare in the ramp tray would be no problem - And, I would double check that the spare could not bump into any part of the front end on your dingy. Consider the change in angles going over driveway's and such.

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote