Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
DOT Overall Length Laws - Issues Towing?

I just bought a 38' monaco camelot, and already own a 28' v-nose race trailer, which is really 30.5' overall. My question is the DOT length laws are typically 65' and some state 70' ... I want to avoid being in hot water, but hate to get rid of my 28' trailer.

Are these laws enforced? I see many different setups at the race track WAY over 70' in length, I'm guessing it's a formality but wanted to ask here.

randomhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #2
I have never seen a motorhome pulled over for being too long.

Steve and Joy
2013 Winnebago Journey
Where We Are Now
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like the other poster I have never seen (or heard) of a Motor Home being pulled over for length violations... HOWEVER.....

A couple years ago there was a thread here in the forum about a motor home involved in an Accident.. HE WAS Cited for overlength.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a friend who was pulled over in Texas a few years back for something, I can't remember what. While the Trooper was talking to him, he asked about the length of the trailer and what was inside. The Trooper measured the RV and trailer and gave him a citation for over length only. I see a lot of Rigs that appear to me to be over length but that is the only actual citation I have heard of.
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
I have read of folks who got cited for over length but not seen any personally.

I have a friend who was pulling a trailer that was overweight. Said it cost him $800 by the time he got off of the scale.

I believe the chances of getting stopped for only being over length are quite small. I think your chances go up if you are doing something else to catch their eye. IMO if you are driving at or below the posted or reasonable speed for conditions and not cutting traffic etc you will be mostly be left alone.

However if you do get caught you may be fined and held until you are able to replace the tow vehicle with something shorter so your length is legal.

Some states are a short as 60 feet.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:19 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've actually talked to a few troopers who told me that it would be extremely unlikely to get pulled over for being over length. However they did say if involved in an accident or stopped for some other violation a person might be subject to being checked for length if the officer thought it might have contributed to whatever the case was.
Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
I don't know if you would ever get stopp, but it looks like you would by over limit in most states. I did a search out of curiosity and found this link. Good inf.

coupevilleDF is online now   Reply With Quote

tow, towing