Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Double towing behind 45'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post

The devices in #2 and #3 (above) are interesting. I talked with a guy in KY who had one attached to the back of his MH. The two wheels were free-castering with no brakes, and the entire assembly was solidly attached to the MH or 5er with no pivot point. It is NOT considered a trailer, so you can back it easily and tow a trailer behind it.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
my only concern with a attachment like that with such small wheels, you have 22 in rv tires and 8? 10? 12? maybe 13 in tires trying to keep up... seems like a few spares are in order. Also the upper bearings are single or dual? shaking all the time... I toyed with a similar idea for a smart car... the car is 6-10 in to long....

Old 08-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
The devices in #2 and #3 (above) are interesting. I talked with a guy in KY who had one attached to the back of his MH. The two wheels were free-castering with no brakes, and the entire assembly was solidly attached to the MH or 5er with no pivot point. It is NOT considered a trailer, so you can back it easily and tow a trailer behind it.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
I saw a guy get hung up on a high curb with one of those platforms on the back of his coach.

The tail swing is pretty scary.
Stevie3508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:51 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
Also figured that if I got harassed or knew we would be going through a state that may stop us we could break the truck tow and chase the coach pulling the golf cart trailer...
Any other thoughts?
I know of one person with a 36' motor home towing a Jeep with a trailer behind that who was stopped by Kansas Highway Patrol. Cost him $500 and they made him unhook one or the other. His wife had to drive the Jeep the rest of the way into Colorado. BTW, he was from Texas also.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
In most jurisdictions the requirement for double towing is the first hitch must be a 5 wheel connection. CA has a law that says the hitches must be of sufficient strength to support the tow.

My question is how much do you want to risk ruining your day or your vacation by running on the edge and the possibility of encountering the one officer who will take the time to write you up?

You may spend a few more dollars to comply with the regulations but the comfort/confidence level is priceless.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like the overbilt set up posted, that would be great for me as a tow dolly and able to fit a golf cart and on top use for my Kayaks, not much added tongue weight or overall tow weight, with my tow vehicle, to stay under 4K max
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You have to abide by the towing length and double tow rules for each state you travel through. Texas has a max length of 65' and some places, like west of Houston, expect to get stopped.

Ken
Old 08-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
Is anyone double towing behind a 45' coach? I tow a 2015 Ford F150 with a Goldwing in the bed and would like to have a golf cart (we full time).
I figured the easiest way would be just to get an 8' trailer and pull behind the truck but that would put me somewhere around 75' or so I think. Also figured that if I got harassed or knew we would be going through a state that may stop us we could break the truck tow and chase the coach pulling the golf cart trailer...
Any other thoughts?
Mrchips
Sounds like a plan!

However if you tow a trailer with your Ford F150 with your Goldwing in the bed and your golf cart on the same trailer you would be "single towing".... (which is legal everywhere).
(If you put the Goldwing crossways on the trailer and the golf cart in the bed of the pickup you might be able to use a shorter trailer)

However I personally have never been "hassled" anywhere regardless of my overall length.
(But if you are not comfortable taking a chance you could always tow the trailer with the pick up when you want to go through a state where you're over the "legal" length).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've seen a few of these triple-tows going down the road from time to time, and my gut tells me it's not safe--particularly with non-commercial drivers (the huge majority of us). I've also read a number of posts just like this one, and they all sound exactly the same.

While there may be ways to get away with doing this, and avoiding a ticket, I'm always scratching my head and wondering why people aren't concerned about the SAFETY as much as they are worried about avoiding a citation?

By and large, the laws that we are subject to abide by on the highways were created for our safety and the safety of those who are driving around us. I'm no saint myself, but whenever I consider breaking or "bending" them, my first thoughts are about safety, and not whether or not I can get away with it.

My personal bottom line is that this isn't a safe way to get three vehicles/trailers down the road. It's especially dangerous if the driver is not a trained professional. I don't really care if it's legal or not.

I suppose there's no law on the books that says we can't drive our RV with a full grown llama sitting in our lap, but I wouldn't do that either.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post

While there may be ways to get away with doing this, and avoiding a ticket, I'm always scratching my head and wondering why people aren't concerned about the SAFETY as much as they are worried about avoiding a citation?

Why do we assume the OP is not concerned with safety, is not experienced or trained to do what he's planning?

I guess I'm just na´ve enough to believe if he didn't ask about the safety aspect of what he's contemplating, he's already ahead of us on that part.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
I've seen a few of these triple-tows going down the road from time to time, and my gut tells me it's not safe--particularly with non-commercial drivers (the huge majority of us). I've also read a number of posts just like this one, and they all sound exactly the same.

By and large, the laws that we are subject to abide by on the highways were created for our safety and the safety of those who are driving around us. I'm no saint myself, but whenever I consider breaking or "bending" them, my first thoughts are about safety, and not whether or not I can get away with it.
IMO a total overall length that is over the limit is much safer and less likely to draw the attention of the authorities than a triple tow.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
In most jurisdictions the requirement for double towing is the first hitch must be a 5 wheel connection. CA has a law that says the hitches must be of sufficient strength to support the tow.

My question is how much do you want to risk ruining your day or your vacation by running on the edge and the possibility of encountering the one officer who will take the time to write you up?

You may spend a few more dollars to comply with the regulations but the comfort/confidence level is priceless.

Correct me if I'm wrong, that applies to pickup truck towing, where the bumper pull capacity is well below that of the average DP MH.

A get my info on this from the federal high way safety standards booklet.

DTW
Old 08-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, that applies to pickup truck towing, where the bumper pull capacity is well below that of the average DP MH.

A get my info on this from the federal high way safety standards booklet.

DTW
Cannot correct you. Do you have a publication number for the booklet you would care to share.

All I read was when more than one trailer was being towed the first connection had to be a 5 wheel. I have read the CA regulations where they clearly state each hitch must be of sufficient capacity to tow the weight attached.

As far as it applying only to pickups what I read did not state any particular target group or exclusions. There are numerous DP out there with 5,000 lb hitches the same as my 150 pickup (with tow package). My other pickup (450) has a 15.000 lb hitch installed and I regularly tow a 15,000 lb trailer.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
IMO a total overall length that is over the limit is much safer and less likely to draw the attention of the authorities than a triple tow.

I agree,

Didn't mind it as a trucker but,
I don't like pulling doubles behind the coach, It's just too much of a large sign that says (look at me). And as the Blu ox tow bar is rated high enough to do it safely, I'm not sure I really trust it as much as I would a custom made heavy duty bar.

When I find the need to pull double, I do it at night, so not to attract so much attention.

DTW

Tags
tow, towing