Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:26 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow... So many of these posts are about not drawing attention, getting caught, receiving a citation. I don't see much about the actual safety of this. That's sad.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #30

American Coach Owners Club
I am almost sorry I ever even post on this forum sometimes.

For all who wonder, yes I always think about safety, it is paramount. This isn't my first rodeo. It was a simple question, but everyone turns into safety police, psychic readers assuming I don't have a clue or experts in absolutely nothing but giving advice.

When I think about solutions I throw everything at the wall and see what sticks and then I start ruling things out or in based on xxxxx. Just because I have a thought or idea doesn't mean anything is ever acted upon. I won't bore ass anyone on here with my experience because frankly no one on here cares and that would turn into it's own OMG discussion.

Don't worry all, whatever I decide to do I will not put you, your family or your family pet in any danger whatsoever. And I know that should we ever meet on the highway I am perfectly safe around all of you as you all appear to think you walk on water and never do anything that would ever be unsafe.

With that said, MODS can you just delete this entire thread as it served ZERO purpose to help me or anyone else.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:21 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
MrChips;
I have to disagree with your evaluation of the thread. You asked a reasonable question and then ended it with "Any other thoughts".

So there were lots of ideas thrown against the wall. All of them were relevant based on the question.

Unfortunately any thread becomes a brain storming session. I am sure the moderators do the best they can to keep it on topic but it is a tough job IMO.

I believe there is no absolute answer to some questions. I have talked to Highway Patrol and Transport Officers and find in many cases they will give different answers to the same question. The question about towing two trailers that will be over length will always have many responses from both camps. For most regulatory jurisdictions the answer is no just based on their length regulations.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your final solution.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #32

My first thought was WOW, i wouldn't ever want to do it. The logistics and adding of potential problems are things i don't want to deal with. At the same time, i do realize it's being done everyday without any problems.

Found this in a quick search,,, Seems to cover every state

Good Sam Camping

Looks like over half the states are ok with double towing but as someone stated above, a few allow only when a 5th wheel is in the mix. Maximum length of course varies across the board, several are 65 feet or less.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #33

Many times LEO is looking for the obvious and do not want to do the paperwork.

Bottom line is regardless of legal status physics trumps all and there is no grass level there.

Each hitch "system" that includes the towing part along with the being towed part must fully meet the requirements needed for towing the total weight past it.

If you are driving legally but not properly equipped and maybe weaving just a bit the triple tow is alone going to get the LEO to notice but the weave will get more close look and they may just pull you over to ask if you are okay due to the weave then as they walk past your hitches notice a 5000 pound rating sticker with what looks like 10000 pounds behind it.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Wow... So many of these posts are about not drawing attention, getting caught, receiving a citation. I don't see much about the actual safety of this. That's sad.
This thread is about what options one has tried and what length others are pulling.

I would assume the people participating in this thread have already considered the safety aspects of towing, and towing options, therefore why is a safety conversation necessary?

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:17 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
IMO prudence will oft times mitigate ignoring the rules. Otherwise we would have wrecks and carnage on every street and road. If you are going to ignore or bend the specifications slowing down, driving conservatively and using common sense may prevent/avoid the issues the specifications were set for.

There are those who will do whatever they decide to do regardless of the specifications. That is why the Darwin Awards were started and continue to get postings. "Hold my beer and watch this!"
Old 08-21-2016, 11:04 AM   #36

Double towing

Mrchips,

Check out Mighty Hauler - Premier manufacturer of rear hitch carriers, I looked them up after reading your post. They offer hitch mounted motorcycle haulers and golf cart platforms. You could figure out what works best with your motorhome setup and have it all. You could hitch mount the Gold Wing and put GC in bed of truck, or vice versa or like I said figure what works best for you. Either motorcycle or platform then offers the ability to flat tow your F150. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:42 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
Is anyone double towing behind a 45' coach? I tow a 2015 Ford F150 with a Goldwing in the bed and would like to have a golf cart (we full time).

I figured the easiest way would be just to get an 8' trailer and pull behind the truck but that would put me somewhere around 75' or so I think. Also figured that if I got harassed or knew we would be going through a state that may stop us we could break the truck tow and chase the coach pulling the golf cart trailer...

Any other thoughts?
My comments about safety were in response to the OP's "any other thoughts" in his original question (red above).

...and having been a member of this forum for a few years now, seeing nearly this same post over and over again, with the same general tenor of accomplishing a quick and easy triple-tow, without getting "harassed" (purple above).

Apparently safety is off limits as one of the other thoughts on this thread, and since I don't have any ideas for how not to get harassed, I'll sign off.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
I am almost sorry I ever even post on this forum sometimes.

For all who wonder, yes I always think about safety, it is paramount. This isn't my first rodeo. It was a simple question, but everyone turns into safety police, psychic readers assuming I don't have a clue or experts in absolutely nothing but giving advice.

When I think about solutions I throw everything at the wall and see what sticks and then I start ruling things out or in based on xxxxx. Just because I have a thought or idea doesn't mean anything is ever acted upon. I won't bore ass anyone on here with my experience because frankly no one on here cares and that would turn into it's own OMG discussion.

Don't worry all, whatever I decide to do I will not put you, your family or your family pet in any danger whatsoever. And I know that should we ever meet on the highway I am perfectly safe around all of you as you all appear to think you walk on water and never do anything that would ever be unsafe.

With that said, MODS can you just delete this entire thread as it served ZERO purpose to help me or anyone else.
Mrchips,

I for one am a person who is always interested in innovative people who are always looking for new ways to resolve old issues.

I hope we didn't get wrapped around the axle on the safety statement, but you know like the old saying goes, everyone has an opinion.

Knowing that you always had safety in mind, I'm looking forward to your future findings for resolving your issue.

If all works out well enough, I may use some of your ideas. Like I said before, I sometimes pull double also when I really need to keep certain items and vehicles with me, just not all the time and not yet on a long trip.

I'm still making adjustments and improvements to my setup to satisfy my personal comfort zone, and to satisfy any safety issues I have the need to address.

There is nothing unsafe about pulling doubles as long as you are not operating a rig that has weak links in it's setup.

Thank you for your input

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:36 AM   #39

Another option is to use your STATE LEO.

The CHP has specific vehicles (the full size pickups with shell) that have portable scales for big rigs and anything else as well as officers that have additional training for inspecting commercial vehicles and many other issues.

You could stop by the local office and ask to make an appointment to meet with that person to discuss your situation to get guidance for proper fogging and other details.

You also can bring your rig for a safety inspection to be sure what you understood is what was stated.

You will find the state folks are great to work with under This process instead of being chased down on the freeway.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:03 AM   #40

FWIW, I have had the same temptation to tow double behind our 44' coach, but knowing that it could attract the inquisitive questions of a LEO, I opted not to try. I instead went with a 26' enclosed trailer. It has worked fine. My son has ordered a 26' custom trailer that will accommodate his modified Jeep and a small 2 door car. Or his Jeep and his Harley leaving enough room for a golf cart as well. He still has room in the front nose for tool storage. If you were to downsize your F150 to a medium SUV, you could run the Goldwing and Golf Cart into the front from the side and run the SUV into the rear. Everything would be secure and out of the weather. We are both 75' long and have no issues with length. In CA, a $16 oversized permit gets you almost anywhere.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #41

Quote:
I've seen a few of these triple-tows going down the road from time to time, and my gut tells me it's not safe--particularly with non-commercial drivers (the huge majority of us). I've also read a number of posts just like this one, and they all sound exactly the same.

While there may be ways to get away with doing this, and avoiding a ticket, I'm always scratching my head and wondering why people aren't concerned about the SAFETY as much as they are worried about avoiding a citation?

By and large, the laws that we are subject to abide by on the highways were created for our safety and the safety of those who are driving around us. I'm no saint myself, but whenever I consider breaking or "bending" them, my first thoughts are about safety, and not whether or not I can get away with it.

My personal bottom line is that this isn't a safe way to get three vehicles/trailers down the road. It's especially dangerous if the driver is not a trained professional. I don't really care if it's legal or not.

I suppose there's no law on the books that says we can't drive our RV with a full grown llama sitting in our lap, but I wouldn't do that either.
He's talking about towing doubles = MH+Ford+ trailer. Triple-towing is towing 3 trailers, per FMCSA.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
FWIW, I have had the same temptation to tow double behind our 44' coach, but knowing that it could attract the inquisitive questions of a LEO, I opted not to try. I instead went with a 26' enclosed trailer. It has worked fine. My son has ordered a 26' custom trailer that will accommodate his modified Jeep and a small 2 door car. Or his Jeep and his Harley leaving enough room for a golf cart as well. He still has room in the front nose for tool storage. If you were to downsize your F150 to a medium SUV, you could run the Goldwing and Golf Cart into the front from the side and run the SUV into the rear. Everything would be secure and out of the weather. We are both 75' long and have no issues with length. In CA, a $16 oversized permit gets you almost anywhere.
I'd like to see more write-ups and pics of setups like this.

Exactly what do you order?

Exactly how do you get out of the "toad" once it's inside?

Exactly how do you tie it down?

Etc.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm physically capable of dealing with one of these setups, and if so, what they cost, where and how to buy, etc. Everything I've found online seems to assume you already know the answers to these questions.

Tags
tow, towing