Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
drive shaft disconnect kit for tacoma 2 wd

who makes a disconnect kit for tacoma 2wd 2012

JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...df/sec_2-5.pdf

Page 38 of this 39-page PDF file (excerpt from the 2012 Taco Owner's Guide) says do not tow your 2012 Taco as a dingy (behind a motorhome, for example).

Also see discussion on Tacoma World:
Can I Flat tow? - Tacoma World Forums

Of course, there are always know-it-alls that tell you do do it anyway, but Toyota says definitely not. So I wouldn't without something in writing from Toyota that says something different than the Toy Owner's guide.

So the only way to use a new Tacoma as a toad is with a car trailer that gets all four wheels off the road.
http://www.bigtextrailer.com/pdf/70dm.pdf

But if you insist on doing it anyway, you don't need a "kit". Simply disconnect the driveshaft at a U-joint, then wire it up good and snug so you don't wind up dragging the driveshaft on the road. Or better yet, disconnect the driveshaft from both U-joints and carry it in the bed of the truck until you get to where you want to use the toad.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Moving to campground in Maryland, I have the rear coupling removed and marked. Once there shuttles available.
The dealer where we bought the truck says OK and if anything happens they will cover it.
Thank u for getting back to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...df/sec_2-5.pdf

Page 38 of this 39-page PDF file (excerpt from the 2012 Taco Owner's Guide) says do not tow your 2012 Taco as a dingy (behind a motorhome, for example).

Also see discussion on Tacoma World:
Can I Flat tow? - Tacoma World Forums

Of course, there are always know-it-alls that tell you do do it anyway, but Toyota says definitely not. So I wouldn't without something in writing from Toyota that says something different than the Toy Owner's guide.

So the only way to use a new Tacoma as a toad is with a car trailer that gets all four wheels off the road.
http://www.bigtextrailer.com/pdf/70dm.pdf

But if you insist on doing it anyway, you don't need a "kit". Simply disconnect the driveshaft at a U-joint, then wire it up good and snug so you don't wind up dragging the driveshaft on the road. Or better yet, disconnect the driveshaft from both U-joints and carry it in the bed of the truck until you get to where you want to use the toad.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I had a 2005 Tacoma PreRunner that had a driveshaft disconnect and towed the Tacoma for 20,000 miles without a problem. It had a cable from the disconnect to the driver side transmission tunnel that allowed for remote connecting and disconnecting of the driveshaft. Remco was bought out by Super_Flow and now sells the driveshaft disconnect. Their website is

Remco DriveShaft Coupling

Certainly much easier than removing the driveshaft each time you want to tow.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i decided to go with a car hauler. it will work nicely and no worries on the warranty issue.

Found a new 18ft car hauler here in michigan brand new for 2100 with electric brakes, spare tire and storage box

Thank you for your help
Old 07-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 1999 Tacoma 2 WD. We are going to go with the Remco driveshaft disconnect.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleValley2 View Post
We have a 1999 Tacoma 2 WD. We are going to go with the Remco driveshaft disconnect.
Good luck getting your hands on one. I have had one on order since April 30th for my Yukon 2WD. HitchSource cannot tell me when I will get it. Meanwhile I am crawling underneath and disconnecting and reconnecting the driveshaft at the differential.

We are headed for Apple Valley...Minnesota.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I heard that REMCO was outsourcing that part now days.. Or had discontinued it but someone else was making it.

To the person who qoted the owner's manual. YES, that is true, assuming you do not modify the truck by addition of a drive shaft disconnect.

Towing with the drive shaft disconnect in the "Disconnected" osition is the same, exactly as towing with the drive shaft in the bed of the truck instead of where it belongs.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I heard that REMCO was outsourcing that part now days.. Or had discontinued it but someone else was making it.
Superflow bought the rights to manufacture and sell it. I heard the factory that was making one of the parts burned down earlier this year and things MIGHT be getting back to normal. It is just too bad that there is no other option available for a disconnect. No lube pump for me.