Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #1

Driveshaft disconnect installation

I installed my drive shaft disconnect this weekend on my FJ Cruiser. The mount seems like a very weak spot. It is basically a U-bolt that holds the whole mechanism up against the rear differential, which has two contact points about 2 inches apart. The disconnect mechanism is held on a platform several inches from the two contact points, which basically means it is a big lever that can be moved if contact is made. Those that have installed them will know what I'm talking about.

This is probably not an issue for people that don't do any off roading, but what about those who like to go off road? Has anyone strengthened the mount or come up with any other solutions? It also hangs pretty low which is another area of concern. Has anyone smacked it against a rock or anything?
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #2

What brand mile has 160000 miles installed in 2008 Chevy 4 door 1500
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
What brand mile has 160000 miles installed in 2008 Chevy 4 door 1500
???
proof, proof, proof...
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #4

This is the Remco disconnect on a drive shaft built by Drive Shaft King in Dallas for my 2011 4AT FJ. The drive shaft is excellent and well balanced as far as I can tell.

I spoke with them today and they mentioned the the splines that are in the way need to be notched to allow the shifting mechanism to sit properly and be secure. I will try to do this in the next few weeks. It will still have the same weakness I pointed out earlier though.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #5

Ok that is where I bought mine from I have had no problems at all
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #6

I recently got a used Remco driveshaft disconnect setup to put on one of my old cars so it can be towed 4 down. I have not mounted the lever mechanism yet, but it is a steel plate, so I think you could weld reinforcement onto it and put additional mounting bolts if you want. That would stabilize the plate and therefore the worry about it being cantilevered out there.

As long as you are modifying it, what about mounting it on the top of the driveshaft, instead of under? As long as the lever still moves the sliding collar it really should not matter being technically upside down. This assumes you have floorboard clearance and sufficient suspension travel for this idea to work.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #7

Mine has been on for 14 years no problem. Since it's not holding anything but the mechanism it's not under any stress.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Monkey Claw, I have an 08 FJ Cruiser, but I do not have the driveshaft disconnect. I do a considerable amount of off roading including climbing over huge rocks. I am concerned with the strength of this setup & anything else hanging low. For this reason I have purchased a Featherlite 17' flat trailer to haul either the FJ or my 08 Mazda Miata/MX5. I am very interested in how the setup handles the rough terrain.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #9

I'll give an update when I re-do the install with the notches in the fins. This should make it a lot stronger, though still not bulletproof like the rest of the FJ. I was concerned about the DS strength at first, but after looking at the disconnect (basically a set of spines that match up) and the stock DS which has a set of spines in the slip joint I feel a lot better.

As an aside, the DS can also be operated manually without the engaging mechanism. It's not as quick and convenient of course, but it also removes a lot of installation issues. Just another option.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:34 PM   #10

Monkeyclaw, i modified one i had on a 4runner. I modified the origanal mount by turni g it upside down and mounti g it on top of the pinion snout. I also reinforced the mount by placing a few tack welds to the axel housing that could be cut loose in the future with relitively ease. Worked great for years off road and towing.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #11

336, thanks for the info! I would love to install it above the DS. I will check and see if there is clearance to do that. Did it ever hit the top of the tunnel? How did you know it would fit? Any other issues to look for?

I took my toad out for the first time this weekend. We are camping for the holiday week with some friends who are coming down Wednesday. The system seemed to perform great. My first mistake was small (leaving the tranny in neutral instead of park) but I fixed it after a few miles when I did my first stop to check everything. Took off the toad when we got to the gravel area and locked in the DS without any problems. Hopefully things continue to go smoothly...
Old 11-26-2014, 05:37 AM   #12

Never had a problem, I kept mine working smooth with "Dry Lube". I pulled the cable out of the housing before the install and then every year and treated it with the dry lube. This works because it does not attract dirt. I have one now in storage since I don't need it with the Cadillac that I flat tow presently. I've had two Remco's and had no problems.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
I installed my drive shaft disconnect this weekend on my FJ Cruiser. The mount seems like a very weak spot. It is basically a U-bolt that holds the whole mechanism up against the rear differential, which has two contact points about 2 inches apart. The disconnect mechanism is held on a platform several inches from the two contact points, which basically means it is a big lever that can be moved if contact is made. Those that have installed them will know what I'm talking about.

This is probably not an issue for people that don't do any off roading, but what about those who like to go off road? Has anyone strengthened the mount or come up with any other solutions? It also hangs pretty low which is another area of concern. Has anyone smacked it against a rock or anything?
MonkeyClaw, boy am I glad I found your thread, i was almost positive that the FJ cruiser auto could be modified to tow 4 down but most of my research said no, maybe, could be or my friend does it with no problem.

Anyway, I have a 2012 FJ auto 4wd that I recently purchased and want to tow behind my motorhome. I was hoping to do the setup myself, it sounds like I can purchase the do disconnect from do king in Dallas, is that correct?

Anything else thought wise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Regis
2001Newmar Mountainaire DP
1998 Honda CR-V (sold)
2012 FJ Cruiser TTSE 4wd auto
Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:56 PM   #14

I used the Remco on a Ford ranger for a couple of years, about 2k miles. No issues except keeping the nylon blocks aligned. If they're out of alignment they'll wear crooked and effect the ease of shifting.

There's a couple of new nylon alignment block kits f/s in the classifieds...
if needed

You're right... The mounting is kind of cheesy and it looks as though there's not proper support for the unit on the rear end. But it seems to work okay if you're nice to it and don't hit anything

The only off roading I did was mild, nothing which would have put too much torque on the DS. Just dirty and dusty which required more frequent cleaning and lubing.

Tags
install