Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The problem with the drop hitch is not tong weight, it is torque.

The hitch is not designed for torque.

So let's say you drop it six inches, you put 4,000 pounds (to make the math easy) behind it, Now you are going up hill such that even rolling you are pulling 1,000 pounds of that 4,000 pound ride (Again number choisen to make math easier) that is 500 foot pounds of torque on the brackets at the end of the cross bar.. Which is what failed on mine.
Only difference, 4" drop.
So you're darned if you do (a drop hitch adds torque to the equation and adds to the risk of bottoming out) and darned if you don't (an off level tow tongue will cause torque to the hitch as the tow lifts and dives as you accelerate/brake).

For me, I split the difference with a drop hitch that makes the tow tongue almost level, but not low enough to bottom-out

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I was towing a Ford Fiesta and had to use a drop hitch and it looked like it could bottom out so I installed a steel wheel made to prevent the hitch from rubbing on the payment work very well never did drag the hitch. I think I got it at Camping World but is is very rugged
Now I have a Ford Edge and I have had to invert the (6"Blue Ox) drop hitch as the attach points are 6" higher than the motor home hitch. Have not towed yet with the drop hitch installed.

Jroan

jroan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Arch.....You'll probably see that I got beat up by a couple of people on the other site for recommending that you weld a second receiver to the bottom of your current receiver. Even though it will lower your hitch height, it won't be as dramatic as the drop receiver. The second receiver gives you 3" more drop. I asked the welding shop to rework the slide in components on my base plates so that they were taller, but they said it would not be safe. Both my BIL and several others we associate with have had the second receiver added.

You can't do it with the Lexus, but on all three of my trucks (4x4's) I added a 2" lift kit to the front and was able to make all tow bar connections sit dead level, with the added receiver.
Don I did see that thread on the other forum and for the most part I think you were right. A good weld shop should be able to make that hitch better and stronger than a new one. The thing I noticed on your set up was the roller on the bottom of your hitch. I think you said it's been there 7 years. Where do you get something like that and did you weld it on. I have found nothing about these and remember seeing these years ago. Anyway I want one and I hope you can point me in the rift direction. Thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #18

I measured mine andy toad is 3"higher than the hitch. It's a heavy toad about 4800 and pulling with a 40'DP. Do I need to drop it 2" or 4" or am I good?
Old 08-05-2012, 05:11 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Any material I have read about tow bars is that they should be level with no more than a 2 inch rise. You should never tow with your tow bar lower than your hitch. As stated earlier when you brake hard the rear rises and the difference is made even worse. I have no expertise in this area but I when I was getting ready to tow and went through all the info, material, etc. on tow bars, the one thing I recall all of them saying was to keep the tow bar level. ( within two inches ) If all the tow bars manufacturers agree I can't see ignoring their advice. JMHO

Dan
Old 08-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #20
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
I wish I could find clear documentation on how much a hitch capacity is degraded by a drop receiver. Blue Ox and Roadmaster have nothing on this that I can find. I will call Roadmaster tomorrow, Monday 8/6 to see if I can get some "credible" info. Makes sense that a significant drop or rise will exercise the hitch in a different way, but I would expect to find info on this using a simple google search..
Old 08-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #21

I would not be dropping the hitch but would need to raise it 3" to make it level. The toad sits higher that the MH. If the MH dips in the front and raises in the rear when braking I will be good.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57
I measured mine andy toad is 3"higher than the hitch. It's a heavy toad about 4800 and pulling with a 40'DP. Do I need to drop it 2" or 4" or am I good?
I looked back and I worded this poorly. I would need to raise the hitch at the MH to be level.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm
NO, but if you do use a drop receiver make sure you Derate the hitch, like half or more depending on the drop.
Wa8yxm, where are you getting this de-rating info from...I can find nothing, no warnings, nothing on Blue Ox or Roadmaster websites talking about this.
If you had a typical 5000 lb hitch with a drop receiver, and your capacity is now 2500lb, I immagine there are a whole lot of dire situations driving on the roads today..
Old 08-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
phil57.......It's been soooo long since I put that wheel on. Camping World still sells some similar wheels. The first one below can have the sides cut off and welded on directly. The same with the second one.

The secret is to stretch a string line from the bottom center of your rear wheel to the end of your hitch. Then install the wheel (back from the end of the hitch toward the front of the coach) so that it just touches before the hitch does.

I did my own welding on the wheel because it wasn't critical, unlike the hitch tube.

Hitch Protector - Ultra-fab Products 48-979020 - Skid Wheels - Camping World
Rollaway Hitch Protector - Roadmaster Inc 050 - Skid Wheels - Camping World
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post

Well, the Blue-OX manual says 3" or less difference is acceptable.

NOTE that the worst condition is when you stop the motor home and the rear lifts slightly. Since your case that will reduce that 3 inches, perhaps even reversing it. So I'd say you are golden.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #26
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Talked to Blue Ox Technical support this am...800-228-9289...Their drop down hitch receivers do not impact a healthy RV Hitch rating..There is no industry statement to the contrary that they are aware of.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #27

Here's one ready to weld on without cutting anything.

Steel Mini Roller, Weld-on - Ultra-fab Products 48-979022 - Skid Wheels - Camping World
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Roller for drop hitch

Does anyone know if there is a roller that will bolt on to the threaded shaft of the ball itself?

Like - right under the BIG NUT on the bottom of this?

Name:   drop hitch.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  4.4 KB

And BTW, This was in the older threads - OUCH!!:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken_drop_hitch_1.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	24487
Tow Bar Drop Hitch Broke

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge