Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #85
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dwight, I get it..Your MH hitch asm is rotated downward now. I havent been at this very long, but if it were me, I'd talk to a professional. Call your tow bar manufacturer maybe. 9" seems a bit much and puts pressure on the pivot points in the wrong way...I dont know..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #86

They're just going to tell him something to cover their ass,

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #87
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dunner, If by CYA, you mean they can convey the intended use of the product by design, then I agree. Being new to towing, I was able to talk to a very knowledgable rep at Roadmaster and I came away from that discussion with a much better understanding of the safest use of their products and why. CYA had nothing to do with our chat..
Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #88

That's what I meant; intended use. Good they gave you some useful information.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #89

Winnebago Owners Club
this is a copy of the e-mail I just received from Curt trailer hitches.

Yes, using an extender will lower your towing by almost half.
You will not by using a drop ball mount.

Thank you,

www.hitchestogo.com
1-866-744-4282

Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 11:09 AM
To: sales@hitchestogo.com
Subject: weight capacity?

will the class 3 hitch extender 8" change my weight or towing capacity? also will a 8 inch drop ball mount change my towing capacity? Thanks Mike
Old 08-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #90

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rkh
Addressing your concerns, I did make professional inquires before moving ahead with the project. I am towing a 3,000# 1998 Subaru Forester all wheel drive, lower center of gravity vehicle with good front to rear weight ratio, full time vacuum to the brakes, with a 8,000# rated ReadyBrake Elite tow bar behind a long wheelbase motor home.

I feel very confident with this combination and have no reason to go back to the problems encountered with a drop receiver.
One Happy Camper, Dwight
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #91
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Dwight, do you use the ReadyBrake indicator light that came with the Elite?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #92

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, the Ready Brake indicator light works just like it always has.
Dwight
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #93
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dwight. you have a 3000lb car wanting to wedge itself under your MH every time you brake. A panic stop, or one where the MH's brakes are nearly locked up will be trouble.
Your readybrake surge cable is likely not routed through the guide near the actuator arm on the tow bar either. It must be pulling at an angle where it attaches to the toad.
Not a set up I would run with...Some quality pictures would be nice to see..
Old 09-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
I spent a good couple of hours last night reading about the Readybrake and watching the video on their website. I am trying to decide between it and the Invisibrake. Here is what I came up with...

Y'all make my head hurt :-/

Damn smart people!
"The Dutch Oven AdventuresII"
ensiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #95
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, ensiv, there are lots of experienced people here that will make YOU smarter...Im not one of them....yet. I think all these braking systems work as advertised. You have to decide based on your own situation. For me, I was starting fresh. No toad, no base plate, no braking system, no dolly. I chose the ReadyBrake tow bar solution for its simplicity. Braking system is completely mechanical and will be more than adequate for my 2800lb Focus. If you watched the video, you know what I mean.
The invisibrake requires a brake controller to be installed in the MH and electronics to operate the box inside the toad. I see no advantage with the invisibrake. Some say the
invisibrake is portable. This is true but you still need a base plate in any car you tow. The ready brake cable is easy to install and is done at the same time the base plate is installed. The portability argument doesn't work for me..
Then there are the tow dollys.

BTW...we love the Winnie vista 32k floorplan...Some day, some day...
What are you planning to tow? I think your hitch has a 5000lb rating
Old 09-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
BTW...we love the Winnie vista 32k floorplan...Some day, some day...
What are you planning to tow? I think your hitch has a 5000lb rating
That is my dilemma.

We are a family of 5 with a 6th on the way in February so we need a high capacity vehicle. The wife drives a Ford Expedition EL and I have an F350 Crewcab. I have no concern about towing the Expedition 4 wheel down with the motorhome with a supplemental braking system, even if I do need to exchange the Class III for a Class IV receiver. I have towed boats both personally and commercially for many many years so I am very familiar with surge brake systems. That is why I liked the Readybrake, very simple yet effective.

The issues I am having is I don't like drop hitches and I am also concerned that because the gross weight numbers won't be in accordance with the spec sheet that some insurance company could use it against me. In 21 years I have never had an accident and plan to keep it that way but there is always the chance and I don't want to find myself holding the proverbial "bag."

I have researched a used toad but to accommodate the family it would have to be a Jeep Commander, Ford Explorer or possibly a Chevy Tahoe. I don't really want a third vehicle and definitely don't want to give up the wife's Expedition since we just bought it 2 years ago.

At this point I am going to wait on making any decisions about a toad. We only have two more trips planned this year and only one of them will the wife have to follow me with the car. That one is a business conference so I need the car but it is only a 90 minute drive from home so not too bad. The other trip is the Good Sam Rally in Daytona so no need for a toad.

I am hoping to learn a great deal at the Rally about the systems and possible see what others have for toads and what they are pulling it with.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #97
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, with your current choices of toads, you need a new MH, not a new hitch or brake system...
Old 09-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #98

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't I wish. Perhaps an upgrade in a year or two if the wife and I stop at 4 kids and if the family really gets the RV'ing fever to travel.

« toad | Tow Bars »