Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Drop Receiver Needed

I have a 2008 Honda FIT for a toad and a 2014 Winnebago Vista. I just had the Blue Ox base plate installed and have the Aladdin Tow Bar. Of course the Vista is high in the back and the FIT is low in the front. The Blue Ox instructions say the tow bar can be no more then 4" higher then the toad. My installer said it should be an inch. OK a little difference there, but my question is to get down to the 2" I need a 14" drop receiver, which I have not been able to find. 12" is the lowest. Does anyone have any thoughts on this.

Thanks
Bill

Bill.gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Blue Ox makes a lot of sizes. I bought mine at a Camping World. Might check with them for size and dealer location.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I read your post correctly , a 12" will put you at a 4" angle. Blue OX is ok with that. I had a 10" and had to be real careful pulling into driveways . Some were not doable and I had to abort the entrance. Other times I squeaked by with a little scrape. These instances were rare but you have to consider them to avoid getting stuck.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
there are everywhere
14-Inch-Drop-Hitch - etrailer.com Search

Trailer Hitches, Ball Mounts and Trailer Hitch Accessories

and of course:
Amazon.com: 14" drop hitch

but I too would be really concerned about towing something that low that requires that much drop... heck, you may hang up on some of the interstate heaves I've seen
and then there's the beating from rocks and stones your towed will take "UNDER" the wheels of your rv good luck
Old 08-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I have a 13" in my basement. Would need to measure. I'm in S.E. Ga and can not move just now

It is a Blue ox, they custom make them.

Suggestion #1: LOAD the RV and re-measure.. I wound up with a 4" drop after loading.

Comment 1: The longer the drop the more TORSION stress on the hithc,,,, With a foot or more your towing capacity is measured not in thousands of pounds, not in nundreds of pounds. but in ounces. (Well, I exaggerate slightly)
Old 08-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 10inch on my 26he vista and I have to hook up in the street. my driveway is just a normal 4to5 inch drop. I TOW A TOYOTA TACOMA and my blue ox hitch is dead level. I,am thinking about trying a 8 inch
Old 08-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Or.....you could do like I had done....have a new receiver tube welded to the bottom of the existing one. This effectively drops the receiver 2 inches. The new, bottom receiver is used for the drop ball mount. The upper, old receiver is used for a hitch - mounted bike rack (or whatever suits your needs).
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Or.....you could do like I had done....have a new receiver tube welded to the bottom of the existing one. This effectively drops the receiver 2 inches. The new, bottom receiver is used for the drop ball mount. The upper, old receiver is used for a hitch - mounted bike rack (or whatever suits your needs).
Sometimes the simplest ideas are also not so obvious - until someone thinks of it, this is a great and simple idea. And it will probably cost less than a large drop receiver.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From what I have read over the years, it is recommended to have your tow vehicle within 2-4 inches of each other.
The reasoning I always heard was that with a higher "drop" of your tow bars there is a higher possibility of the TOAD trying to literally push itself under your RV, which in turn puts a lot of stress onto the connectors of the tow bars themselves and most importantly onto the hitch connections to the underside of your TOAD.
I use a 12-inch "drop hitch adapter" with my '06 35E Bounder. which gives me a 4-inch height difference, but my TOAD is a KIA SOUL only weighs 2870 pounds, which greatly reduces this potential for stress or damage to my TOAD hitch points.
It's not ideal, but also, I do not go off-road which greatly reduces my chance of having large height differences between my RV and my TOAD. It's the off-road campers who really need to have this set up precisely, in my opinion, as they can get some radical changes when they are "roughing it".

RAMBLINGDON
2006 FLEETWOOD BOUNDER 35E
TOAD - 2015 KIA SOUL