RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #15

Handle bars to wheel connection?

Wow Alan, looks like you totally re-engineered the design of the Honda. As I cannot figure out how you steer the thing without a rack and pinion type setup to the handlebars or some such. The aerodynamics are totally awesome, the covering is sleek. Its almost like an airplane fuselage look for the bike and the side car is also nice and aerodynamic. The steering of it must take some getting used to, but looks like the design would be very stable. I can just imagine how intriguing the set up must be to see it in person. Like the color scheme as well.

I tried riding a Ural with a side car and to me it seemed to amplify some inputs and not respond to others. It was just a few minutes in an open parking lot, I don't think I could have managed it in traffic without some serious training time. I tried the same on a Vespa scooter, that was a totally frustrating process as I could not make it turn too well.

To take both your car and the bike, sounds like you need a nice garage trailer! I saw one at the Pocono raceway which had see through side wall doors with curtains.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
the only changes to the Goldwing were the mounting struts for the sidecar - it's firmly bolted to the frame, and a couple of holes had to be put into the bodywork for the struts to pass through. Driving it certainly takes some practice time, and some upper body strength! You can't counter-steer through turns; you have to turn the handlebars in the direction you want to go, and it can tke a lot of arm strength at times. Driving a sidecar, in general, takes practice - once you get used to it it's a blast!

We actually rode a Ural for about 6 years before moving up to the Goldwing - the Ural was great for what it was designed for, but it certainly lacked at freeway speeds. With the Goldwing multi-day rides are no problem - when we bought it we actually drove it home 700 miles! It was so comfortable I felt that I could have kept going forever!

We would love to trailer both the bike and the car but we'd be exceeding the towing limits of our motorhome, and the cost of a trailer big enough for a smart car AND the Goldwing is way outside our budget!

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:52 AM   #17

2 wheel Toads!

Hey Gang,

Well I got me an Adrenalin pump!
Actually went to the shop for a dual sport Royal Enfield, but the wicked looking Ducati just would not let me get past her. So she came home with me instead! Its the strada with the two soft side bags and a wee bit under the seat storage. 3 programs for sport all horses at instant command, touring horses fall in line in a controlled manner and urban (lowered HP so some horses remain stabled). She is fun to ride and has lots of idiot proof technology that I hope will assist this idiot in keeping safe! 8 levels of traction control, 4 levels of ABS, automatic DRL front and back, oh yes it won't move if kick stand is down! (unexpected norm for newer bikes on my part).

Also got a bumper carrier with 600 lb capacity, will have to assemble it and see if it needs some shoring up. Saw another customer with it, and it was stable with a 550 lb bike on it, the brand name is a little scary but hey. Bought a helmet that makes me look like a storm trooper! with a matching padded jacket, have to get the over-pants next, along with a trunk box.

The tires on the strada are more for street than off road so perhaps next season I will upgrade to a off/on road type tire. Now to manage some saddle time to get used to this beast. Have to develop that touch to find the neutral, which is giving me some trouble. Oh the crazy thing about his bike no gear indicator though it has all that other technology! Man my old dinosaur bikes had em back in the 70s and 80s, though after getting used to the sounds I do not recall needing it. Wonder if there is a mod available.

When I get to the store and take my helmet off it get that due to my gray hair and not fitting the mold of a typical ducati owner (gray hair)!
Old 04-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-Lover View Post
Hey Gang,

Well I got me an Adrenalin pump!
Actually went to the shop for a dual sport Royal Enfield, but the wicked looking Ducati just would not let me get past her. So she came home with me instead! Its the strada with the two soft side bags and a wee bit under the seat storage. 3 programs for sport all horses at instant command, touring horses fall in line in a controlled manner and urban (lowered HP so some horses remain stabled). She is fun to ride and has lots of idiot proof technology that I hope will assist this idiot in keeping safe! 8 levels of traction control, 4 levels of ABS, automatic DRL front and back, oh yes it won't move if kick stand is down! (unexpected norm for newer bikes on my part).

Also got a bumper carrier with 600 lb capacity, will have to assemble it and see if it needs some shoring up. Saw another customer with it, and it was stable with a 550 lb bike on it, the brand name is a little scary but hey. Bought a helmet that makes me look like a storm trooper! with a matching padded jacket, have to get the over-pants next, along with a trunk box.

The tires on the strada are more for street than off road so perhaps next season I will upgrade to a off/on road type tire. Now to manage some saddle time to get used to this beast. Have to develop that touch to find the neutral, which is giving me some trouble. Oh the crazy thing about his bike no gear indicator though it has all that other technology! Man my old dinosaur bikes had em back in the 70s and 80s, though after getting used to the sounds I do not recall needing it. Wonder if there is a mod available.

When I get to the store and take my helmet off it get that due to my gray hair and not fitting the mold of a typical ducati owner (gray hair)!
Congrats! That's a far cry from a true DS!!! LOL
As for the gray-hair I've got a bunch of friends that have gray/no hair riding Ducs so you're in good company!
Old 04-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #19

Congrats on the new bike. Regarding the lack of gear indicator, check out GIpro.
I put one on the bike I now take when we are out in the RV. It was an easy install and works great
https://www.healtech-electronics.com...ts/gipro/gpxt/
Old 06-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #20

PanJH Thanks for the shift indicator. Will have to work on that this fall. Wait for my toy budget to recover a bit. Motorcycles are a lot of gear these days back in younger days some how all the gear never seemed important. The shift indicator should be a great addition. I just moved up from the hamstrung urban cycle to the touring setting, so an increase HP etc. Still have some rust around slow handling and sharp turns but its flaking off slowly or I am scared to try more aggressive leans!
Old 06-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #21

I love bikes but a full year of having only a bike for transportation made me realize that rain does matter. So do snow and ice. Only time I ever laid my bike down was on a patch of ice on News Years day.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
I love bikes but a full year of having only a bike for transportation made me realize that rain does matter. So do snow and ice. Only time I ever laid my bike down was on a patch of ice on News Years day.
Yep,
Having only a bike is good in some scenarios but certainly not all. We're not inclement weather riders but, still have needs to go places and get things done when we're traveling. So, we advanced to towing an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab which, we load a Rampage lift/carrier in it and load our '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing in the back of that truck. Now, we've got the best of both worlds. The only way to go.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0408.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	250372  
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Yep,
Having only a bike is good in some scenarios but certainly not all. We're not inclement weather riders but, still have needs to go places and get things done when we're traveling. So, we advanced to towing an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab which, we load a Rampage lift/carrier in it and load our '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing in the back of that truck. Now, we've got the best of both worlds. The only way to go.
Scott
But where do you put your golf cart?

blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad