Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Duo or Air Force One?

Hey guys...

I sold my Silverado and will now be towing a 2012 GMC Savana conversion van. Gross weight is 8000lbs. I used the brake buddy vantage in the silverado, but have never been fully happy with or confident in it. It was sent back to BB 3 times for rebuild under warranty (they were good about handling it) and the sensitivity was always a battle. So, I'm over that system.

I have a 2007 Newmar 45' MADP on a Spartan K2. As I understand it, Spartan recommends (for seemingly good reason!) a supplemental tank install if tapping into the air supply on the coach.

I'm torn between the Stay-in-play DUO system or the Air Force One. I'm leaning heavily towards the former as I really don't like the idea of hacking into my coach's air system. On the other hand, true proportionate braking would be handy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had the Airforce one installed on our coach 20000 miles [in one year] ago and nary a problem. Proportionate braking will save you wear and tear on the toads brakes as well
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I believe you will find that the stay and play duo system is for gasoline powered rigs as it is a vacuum assist and the air force one will be for diesel powered rigs that create their own air supply for the brakes and it is tapped into this system.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
Community Administrator

That's my understanding as well. I have the duo in my gas coach and have been pleased with it.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #5

I've had both systems. They both work great and I wouldn't have any other toad brake. However, if you have air I would strongly suggest the the AFO. It's true proportional braking and never requires adjustment. Tapping into the coach air does not represent a significant risk. I installed both systems myself and felt confident with the relative simplicity of the install and excellent video and hardcopy instruction, but if you are not comfortable, have it installed by a professional installer. SMI has top notch customer service by phone or email.

I suggest speaking directly with the folks at SMI. If I recall, the AFO comes with a small secondary air tank.

Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I should have followed up on this. After getting a better understanding of how the system works (most air powered supplemental brakes, literally just tap straight into the ABS air line - I wasn't having that) from talking to Spartan and the nice guys at SMI, I opted for the AFO.

I'll be installing it on the coach this weekend. It's a well thought out system - I like the supplemental tank with check valve that protects the coach air system in the event of toad leakage.

Thanks for the insight guys!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
I've had both systems. They both work great and I wouldn't have any other toad brake. However, if you have air I would strongly suggest the the AFO. It's true proportional braking and never requires adjustment. Tapping into the coach air does not represent a significant risk. I installed both systems myself and felt confident with the relative simplicity of the install and excellent video and hardcopy instruction, but if you are not comfortable, have it installed by a professional installer. SMI has top notch customer service by phone or email.

I suggest speaking directly with the folks at SMI. If I recall, the AFO comes with a small secondary air tank.

Joopy

Have spoken with SMI too. Great people to work with. Answered all questions patiently and professionally. They assured me that tapping into air on coach is easy and safe.

Have had Air Force One with flawless and consistent performance. You will be pleased.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
Have spoken with SMI too. Great people to work with. Answered all questions patiently and professionally. They assured me that tapping into air on coach is easy and safe.

Have had Air Force One with flawless and consistent performance. You will be pleased.

Deek
Deek,

I'm making arrangements for the SMI Air Force One install on my 2012 CRV, and trying to find the best location under the hood. Where did they put yours?
Old 02-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I am quite pleased with our Air Force One. It was installed with a small "supplimental" tank that was bolted onto one of the frame rails at the back of the coach. It was not something I had to ask be done. I've had it for almost exactly one year now as I had it installed at last years SEA rally in Brooksville FL.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I installed AFO two years ago and 20K miles. No problems. Connect small air hose and verify operation; ready to go. Very user friendly and simple hose storage. I am very satisfied and recommend.
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #11

SMI Air Force One question

SMI emphasizes the toad portion of the supplemantal brake system can be transferred to any other toad vehicle. Does anyone know if the coach portion of the Air Force One system is interchangeable or chassis specific?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post

Deek
Deek,

I am getting ready to set up my 2013 CRV. Would you be able to post a picture of where your control unit is mounted in the CRV?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
although I don't have either system..I spoke at Quartzsite with the SMI Rep. They had a mock-up of both systems and she demo'd both in detail and at length. When we get our MH it will be the one I get - either system looked great would not have reservation on AFO and tapping in. I specially asked about air hose failure and pressure failure..they thought it all out in both scenarios.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Deek,

I am getting ready to set up my 2013 CRV. Would you be able to post a picture of where your control unit is mounted in the CRV?
Sky Boss --

Would be happy to but it was installed inside of the bottom front apron on the toad and with all other engine components, it cannot be seen clearly from any angle above. As mentioned, we had it installed professionally as I am a lawyer, not an engineer (or even reasonably mechanically inclined for such a job) and the installer at North Trail where we bought the earlier coach where the job was originally done on the CR-V told us that he had to remove the front apron entirely in order to install the AFO. It was his opinion that mounting the control unit behind the apron secure in the lower engine compartment and protected from the road was the best place. Unfortunately, without removing the apron again, I can't get a good picture of it that would help.

Lo siento, Amigo (Sorry, my friend).

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote