Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #1

E-Z Pass in NY and Toads

Currently I have a motor home E Z pas in my tag Axle Newmar but what happens when I tow my Wrangler? Have never towed before an am not sure how that works. Do I needs different pass?

HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't know how the E-Z Pass works but do know that if paying cash your TOAD will be charged at the same rate as your HM, almost double what a car by itself is charged. The Thruways reasoning is that the TOAD is attached to the MH so it gets charged at the same rate!!! Rather a rip off to me. This summer I was towing my Motorcycle behind my MH, the front tire being on a mount attached to the MH and the MC's rear tire on the ground. They charged me at the 3 axle High rate(I do not have a TAG axle MH).

D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If the toad is connected to the mh, there is no need to worry. When you go through the toll booth, there is an axle counter that will charge you as one total vehicle with 5 axles. Be prepared as it is not cheap. Additionally, if you do have a separate ezpass for the toad, make sure you take it down and put it in the special Mylar bag that ezpass provides so that it will not be read. If it does read the second ezpass, you will be charged twice. Lastly, if you are a NY resident, make sure you send in a copy of your mh registration and apply for the mh waiver, as the tolls will be cheaper than a standard truck rate.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
If the toad is connected to the mh, there is no need to worry. When you go through the toll booth, there is an axle counter that will charge you as one total vehicle with 5 axles. Be prepared as it is not cheap. Additionally, if you do have a separate ezpass for the toad, make sure you take it down and put it in the special Mylar bag that ezpass provides so that it will not be read. If it does read the second ezpass, you will be charged twice. Lastly, if you are a NY resident, make sure you send in a copy of your mh registration and apply for the mh waiver, as the tolls will be cheaper than a standard truck rate.
I believe this also applies with EZ-pass in NH. Before I had EZ-pass, I would get charged for the 2 axle MH and the toad would be considered a 2 axle trailer. The cost would be higher than with EZ-pass' 4 axle count.

Fran
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Actually I went through this recently. EZ-Pass sent me 2 passes. The first is used when NOT towing, the second is used when towing. There is a marked difference in tolls for the 2.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Be prepared that if you are towing a trailer with a vehicle on it then in some places you will not only get charged for the towee and the trailer but you will also get charged for the vehicle(s) on the trailer. If I remember right it was Ohio that did that thru several toll plazas as we were coming cross country one year. That's one reason why we just try to avoid all tolls now.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #7

They charge you for extra air turbulance as well on NYS thruway. Surprised they don't nail any planes flying overhead.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Be prepared that if you are towing a trailer with a vehicle on it then in some places you will not only get charged for the towee and the trailer but you will also get charged for the vehicle(s) on the trailer. If I remember right it was Ohio that did that thru several toll plazas as we were coming cross country one year. That's one reason why we just try to avoid all tolls now.
My god.....I think you got it! No wonder new auto's cost so much today...
Imagine what a truck driver must pay with a load of auto's on the trailer.......

(The "load" on a trailer or in a trailer is not counted and charged for).................................... .................................................. ............

Just the number of "axles" on the ground.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
(The "load" on a trailer or in a trailer is not counted and charged for) Just the number of "axles" on the ground.
We got charged for the axles on the Truck, the axle on the trailer it was pulling AND the axle for the bike on the trailer. We tried to argue about the bike at the first toll thru there but they were fixed on that is was on the road too and so they charge for it.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #10

The NY EZ Pass for the MH is designed so that the MH is charged the car toll rate rather than at a commercial truck rate. That also goes for whatever you are towing. You are charged no different than if you had a car towing a boat or a utility trailer, etc. The rate for the trailer is based on the number of axles. Again the toll is a non commercial rate. This only works if you have the special RV/MH EZ Pass. When you go out of NY state, the tolls operate the same way on other toll roads. The EZ Pass is read at a car rate. I can only speak to a MH EZ Pass. I am not sure, but they might have something similar for trucks and fifth wheels. Or as has been mentioned, maybe you have to have two EZ Passes. One for towing, one for not towing. I have also found that it is best to go through the EZ Pass only toll lanes. No humans involved. Made the mistake of going through manned in New Hampshire one way, going automated coming back the other way. Checked my statement, found a significant difference in tolls. Long story short, the toll collector put the wrong code in for the toll. Charged as a heavy truck commercial rate which was incorrect. State corrected the mistake.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You have to actually ask for the MH special pass. When I'm not towing, my toll is similar to my car, even tough I have a tag axle. When towing, the number of axles is charged. Oh well, I do not expect to use many toll roads during my travels.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #12

I have used my EZ pass quite a bit, It is set up for my Pickup but I take it in my MH.

I rarely travel without a trailer, or dolly or toad with either vehicle.

I always get charged the Pickup rate and am never charged for the trailers or dolly or toad.

Happy Trails.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #13

It is lucky I use an enclosed trailer so they can't count my axles. I would have 10 extra axles including bikes if they could see them according to this thread.

It must be true. I read it on the internet.