Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:44 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Early Jeep CJ for TOAD?

I've been thinking about getting a Jeep CJ 5, or 6 as a TOAD. I like the inline 6 and light weight. Only downside is no AC. Any other similar vehicles I can pull with all 4 down, light in weight, off road capable with air?

'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #2

The obvious answer, a newer Wrangler? First generation Wrangler is closer to the CJ as far as suspension with parallel leafs, then they went to coil springs for later models along with more road manners and luxury items. Most all from CJ to the new ones can be towed four down. The exception is the older models with quadra-trac full time 4wd transfer case which is not able to flat-tow.

38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
I've been thinking about getting a Jeep CJ 5, or 6 as a TOAD. I like the inline 6 and light weight. Only downside is no AC. Any other similar vehicles I can pull with all 4 down, light in weight, off road capable with air?
Shaky,
Well Sir, I've pulled three different CJs in our Jeeping tenure. Two 7s and one 5. Now, first and foremost, 99.9999% of most CJs were not really designed or, I should say, the transfer cases in those early era Jeeps were not really designed to be FLAT TOWED, for any real length of miles. Yes, they can be and, we did it but, not without some major concerns. You see, most of the transfer cases in those, didn't do well in the "lubing" department while the output shaft was the only one turning.

They did just fine while DRIVING them but, pulling them, and, in neutral, it was iffy at best. What all of us did in that era was, we'd pull them for a while then, at rest stops or fuel stops, we'd start up the Jeeps, put the clutch in, put the transfer case back into gear and, put the trans in neutral and, let all of it spin, while we were fueling up.

That would at least, "splash" some oil, in to gears, bearings etc. that would not normally get any, when the Jeep was being towed.

Now, advance a few years. The later model "YJ" Jeeps, the ones with the square head lights, used what's called a model 231, Aluminum, chain drive, transfer case. The designers of that T/Case, used their heads. They installed a thin, (about the diameter of a CD) and about a half inch thick, rotary vein oil pump, attached to the rear out put shaft, just inside the rear tail cone.

That oil pump, would spin, when the Jeep was flat towed. And that, was a major improvement when it came to being at ease in towing Jeeps. The next model units, called the "TJ" model, were and are, all flat towable unless you find some insanely rare unit that is a two wheel drive model. As is all the JK models and same "two wheel drive restrictions" apply.

Now, what ever you may have heard, Jeeps are not LIGHT! In fact, if you go weigh, the average CJ, you'll find it's seriously close to 4,000 lbs. As are most of the factory Wrangers, from that point on, 'till even the ones produced today. The more they're equipped, raised, larger tires, roll bars, side bars, heavy duty bumpers, skid plates, and more, the more they'll weigh. Most of ours, because they were built so radically, hovered right close to 5,000 or more pounds.

Now, if you want light, there's quite a few "flat tow" toads out there. The Honda CRV comes to mind, with the exception of the '15 model year, Honda screwed that one up so it can't be towed.

There's many more lighter, smaller flat tow toads out there but, if you're looking at using a Jeep in multiple atmospheres, i.e. off road, trails, snow trailing, some sand, mountain back roads, exploratory stuff, then you cannot simply beat a JEEP, just about any model. They are outstanding for that.

They are, just OK for street driving. It's a matter of opinion on what's "OK" and what's not. The only Jeeps I've not had the pleasure of driving is the newer JK models. I hear they're pretty good in the ride department. But, they're also way up there in price. The newer the model year, and of course like any other toad, the better equipped from the factory, the more you're going to pay. But, in that, you'll also get a much nicer "daily driver too". It all depends on just what you intend on using that toad for, when it's not being towed behind your coach.

So, hope this helps some. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:31 PM   #4

If interested you can get an add on AC unit for 1987 and new jeeps for under $1000 installation not included. Jeep Air CK-919540 - Jeep Air Complete Air Conditioning Retro Fit for 1987-1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ - Quadratec
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:50 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not interested in big tires, lift kits and such. What we want is something that has AC and a winch. We want to be able to go off on logging roads, or well made trails for photo opportunities, otherwise we would want it for light road use. No sand dunes, or rock climbing. Running to the grocery store, post office, or a restaurant would be the extent of traveling so a soft ride isn't required. I would like it as light as possible so my gasser can tow it four down without punishing the 460, or tranny. A late model vehicle is more money than I want to spend. I appreciate the input.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad