Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Edge as a Toad question

I am switching from a 2007 CRV AWD to an Edge FWD as a Toad, an am having problems understanding which Edge models can an can't be toad on all 4. The MotorHome April 2014 says the Edge can be towed an mentioned nothing about different models NOT being able to be towed on all 4. Ford says ONLY the SE model can be towed on all 4. I do not understand why the SEL an the Limited can NOT be towed on all 4. Can anyone tell me which Edge models can be towed on all 4. I understand the difference in FWD an AWD. Yet the AWD CRV NEVER had a problem.
Any assistance with my confusion would be greatly appreciated.

wagonmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I am towing a 2014 SEL AWD with no problems. Had a fuse disconnect switch installed to shut down lcd screen when I'm acc mode. Manual says 4 down towable. Max speed towing is 65 mph which is fine with me.

mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:53 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
You should be able to access Ford Edge user manual online to read towing instructions and limitations.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:29 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
I am towing a 2014 SEL AWD with no problems. Had a fuse disconnect switch installed to shut down lcd screen when I'm acc mode. Manual says 4 down towable. Max speed towing is 65 mph which is fine with me.
Randy, Where did you place the fuse disconnect switch for the ICD screen?
Thanks for the information.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
It was a kit that came from Roadmaster. Switch is mounted on side wall down near where the emergency brake pedal is. Can easily reach while entering vehicle. I didn't do installation myself. Had whole system installed by Camping World. I know there have been mixed reviews on CW but it worked out fine for me and was cheaper than other alternatives I investigated.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Jim only the 2.0 cannot be towed the 3.5 and the 3.7 can be towed and a 2011 Edge is the best toad I have ever had and I have had a bunch. The Edge with the Adaptive cruse will take a tow bracket that will require you to use a 4 to 6 inch drop hitch upside down (according to what coach) or you would have to move the Adaptive cruse and we have a member on this Forum that has done the move. You will also need a charge line from the coach to toad, our Edge had a key start so not sure on the push button start, you will love the Edge comfort, power and ease of tow.
Note: and the AWD can be towed
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Just purchased a 2014 Edge Limited to replace our Sidekick Toad only after confirmation from the dealership that we can flat tow the vehicle. Only caveat is that 65mph is the speed limit. To those who fitted the Fusemaster, does this also prevent flat tow mileage accumulating?
Old 09-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know if related to fusemaster or not but my edge does not accumulate mileage while being towed.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #9

We tow a 2014 Edge Limited with push button start. In acc position the screens go into sleep mode after about 10 min. but are still active. I opted for a charge line instead of the fuse bypass. No issues with this setup and milage does not accumulate. I did decide to go with removable lights instead of tapping into tail lights with diodes after hearing of issues there.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Smile edge as a Toad

We have spent a lot of time looking at tow vehicles to tow behind our 2005 Gulf Stream Endura 34' Dura Max. The vehicle will be my wife's everyday driver when we are not on the road. We looked at lots of models both new an used an have settled on the 2014 Edge SEL. We travel with our English Setter an this requires more than just any tow vehicle. First we do NOT want a black interior because he is white. We also have added a remote start an extended the run time to an hour from 15 min. This allows us to leave "Cotton" in the car, cool, secure an listening to the radio while we visit NON-pet friendly locations. Like lunch while we are out.
Our CRV was struck from behind an pushed into the car in front of us at the traffic light. The CRV was totaled an we were transported to the nearest hospital. Today we are among the walking wounded but are up an moving. The lady that struck us from behind in her F-150 stated she hit the gas by mistake.

I would like to thank everyone for their assistance with the Edge.

Talking about insurance companies will be left for another day.