Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2014, 05:50 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Electric brakes?

The M/H we just got already has a tekonsha P-3 brake controller installed on the dash&wired to the rear of coach. When looking for a M/H we thought we would get the Airforce one with brake away system,but seeing we have this electric system could we use it.We have a 2006 Grand cherokee.
My question is what do we need for the jeep? We want a brake away system and something that installs under the hood,keeping it simple. Has any one used this system on toad.
Thanks. Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1104.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	57807  
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcat View Post
The M/H we just got already has a tekonsha P-3 brake controller installed on the dash&wired to the rear of coach. When looking for a M/H we thought we would get the Airforce one with brake away system,but seeing we have this electric system could we use it.We have a 2006 Grand cherokee.
My question is what do we need for the jeep? We want a brake away system and something that installs under the hood,keeping it simple. Has any one used this system on toad.
Thanks. Tim

The Tekonsha controller is meant for electric brakes on a trailer. It won't work for hydraulic brakes on any automobile. The previous owner probably used the controller for towing a car on a dolly with electric brakes.

The Jeep can only be towed 4 down or on a trailer. If you decide to go the trailer route you can use the controller for a trailer with electric brakes. If you decide to go the 4 down route the brake controller won't do you any good.

There are a number of good braking systems on the market. Essentially they all in some fashion or other depress the brake pedal on the Jeep making use of the normal hydraulic service brake system.

You might want to look into the Air Force 1, M&G, or Roadmaster 9100 systems. There are other out there. If you Google "rv towed vehicle braking systems" you'll find a number of them available in all price ranges.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tim,

The Air Force One uses air pressure from your coaches air brake system to activate the braking system in your car.

The AFO is the only system I will have installed on my towed once we stop hauling our 26 foot rolling garage around the country. They are the best systems for easy hookup with nothing to install each time you want to tow your car other than the breakaway cable and the flexible air hose from your coach to your car.

I would leave the P3 installed but it only gets used on trailers that have electric brakes.

I use the Prodigy for my trailer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #4

The only one that I know of that's all electric is Unified Tow Brake by US Gear. It uses it's own brake controller.

It's right above the key.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6794.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	57821
Old 03-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #5

We've had the SAME AF1 since 2009 and wouldn't have any other brake. It's been on and off 2 coaches and 2 toads. Absolutely the best out there and great customer service.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #6

Love my AFO, easy hook-up after install.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thought the Tekonsha P-3 is an excelent controller for TRAILER brakes, most of the towed car brake systems use different types of controls..

You want an "Under hood" install, there is but one, that is the M&G Air system, very good if you have a Diesel motor home with air brakes, but they make a version for other motor homes as well.

There are many "Under dash" systems, however which are just as good, with these systems there is a cable hooked to the brake pedal which PULLS the brake to the floor as needed.. These include the US-Gear (Works differently than the P-3 but will use the same wires, you will need to change controller though) Invisible Brake (no controller needed) and many more, including the Air Force One (I do not know how it works just now, will have to re-look it up some day).

The Teknosha is good for pulling a trailer type trailer though
(A car in tow is legally a trailer, but ,, well I think you understand).

Oh, I grew up in a town called Tekonsha.. Yup, that's where they make 'em.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The M& G is a great under-the-hood installation system BUT it doesn't fit ALL vehicles plus if you switch cars you more than likely will need to exchange the hydraulic fitting for a different one if they even make it for that specific vehicle.

They don't offer a unit for my 2006 Saturn VUE which is a VERY popular model of Toad because there is no room to attach their special unit to the rear of the master cylinder.

That's what makes Air Force One so popular is that it will fit ANY vehicle.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, brake