Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Enclosed trailer brand comparison

Howdy All,
We are looking at getting a 24' enclosed V-Nose trailer to pull behind our 06 Tour. I have read through as many postings that I can find on what options needed at a minimum and what options fall into "should have purchased" category. The one thing I haven't seen is any recommended brands. So I'm looking at 3 different ones: Freedom, Husky, and Pro Line. They all have the 2x6 tube main frame with tube walls and ceiling. All have 5200lb Dexter axles (spring). The Freedom is about $1000 cheaper. Are the other two brands that much better?

with Lexi, Beamer, Polly, & Rusty
Old Grape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #2

My only suggestion to you... please do yourself a favor and purchase a trailer with "torsion" style axles.. I think you will be very pleased with them...

Here is a little research information

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...nformation.pdf

oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #3

+ 1 for torsion axles.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:18 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grape View Post
Howdy All,
We are looking at getting a 24' enclosed V-Nose trailer to pull behind our 06 Tour. I have read through as many postings that I can find on what options needed at a minimum and what options fall into "should have purchased" category. The one thing I haven't seen is any recommended brands. So I'm looking at 3 different ones: Freedom, Husky, and Pro Line. They all have the 2x6 tube main frame with tube walls and ceiling. All have 5200lb Dexter axles (spring). The Freedom is about $1000 cheaper. Are the other two brands that much better?
We are really pleased with our inTech trailer. They built ours to our specifications. The work is very good and the trailer is light. Torsion axles are the only way to go.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Howdy All,
Here is another one to look into Middlebury Trailers
I had mine custom built to my specs last year, When delivered I could of not been more impressed with it! This is the dealer I bought it from Touch of Class Trailers , give David a call and talk to him.
What I liked/wanted is the nice finished interior of their trailer's and the construction of them along with its looks. Here is a thread from when I got it with picture's My new mobile garage has arrived...... .
Old 05-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #6

As with lots of items, you get what you pay for. Higher cost doesn't always mean better products, but there is a tendency for this to be true. Check Featherlite Toy Haulers | Featherlite Trailers

Also, unless you want the additional interior room of a V-nose trailer, the aerodynamics of this style is wasted behind the big space your motorhome pushes through the air.

Quote:
Howdy All,
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:35 AM   #7

deal with the factory

Many towns in So. Georgia have small factories that build trailers. You can get one custom built for a great price. Had mine insulated top and sides,etc.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I also agree with the Torsion Axles, only negative is you absolutely need to try and keep all 4 tires on the ground. If you put one wheel on a curb and are loaded you can do damage, but the ride is so good.

I have had 2 Freedom's, first one they didn't make the rear ramp door opening tall enough (less than 1/2" short) and had to remake mine. If you get serious on the Freedom I can share some of my minor issues on the 2nd trailer compared to the first, but generally the first one quality was way better as they weren't rushed to build I am assuming. All in all I am happy with the Freedom but I upgraded several things especially in the floor and rear ramp bracing as I haul a full size Escalade often and almost 6,000 lbs on ramp door.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #9

I just recently purchased a 24' v nose and did a lot of research before buying. I found many negative reviews on the husky trailer. I would also avoid an trailer with the screw less exterior. The aluminum is basically stuck on with double sided tape and it can become detached in spots. I purchased a marlin cargo trailer from South Georgia. I had it built to my specs and I think it came out good especially for what i paid. The guy did what he promised and the price was fair. This was my fourth trailer and the first that was not a big name brand. I feel this trailer is as good as both my haulmark and pace trailers. My pace and haulmarks are both 16' so I can't say if the larger ones have a higher level of quality or not? I also have a featherlite horse trailer and I will say that the feather lite is in a different class altogether but it is also 4 times the cost. I had mine built with an extra foot of height, the extended 60" tongue, and 5200 dexter axles. I paid about $6k and a featherlite of the same size would have been about $20k
Old 05-17-2015, 10:15 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the response. Did you have the inside finished with insulation, plastic or metal walls, and anything on the floor? Also did you get an electrical package? I have seen the Marlin adds on EBAY.

with Lexi, Beamer, Polly, & Rusty
Old Grape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #11

I just did standard 3/8 plywood on walls and 3/4 plywood floor. I painted the floor myself for about $40 in materials. I would advise against torsion axles. They are definitely the better axle but as everyone already states, major damage can be done if you run over a curb when loaded. It has been my experience that if you drive around long enough in a 40' coach pulling a trailer that is nearly 30' eventually you might roll over a curb.

Tags
comparison