Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
Would Sport Trailer have a web site?

Okay, I believe I have found it: Page 1
Yes, that is the place. If you are really interested in a quality trailer, take a look. Everyone who sees at my trailer is always impressed. They build them totally to your requirements; length, height, entry height and of course a lot more.

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #16

Been pulling a 24ft Horton Enclosed Car Hauler for 2 years now and love it. We usually carry my wife's convertible A4 and sometimes my E320 which means that with the tools and all of the other junk, we're regularly close to the 10,000 GVW limit for the trailer and the motorhome's hitch rating. We secure all 4 wheels to tie down rings but have never crossed. I did however apply special anti slip paint on the trailer floor to help prevent slippage, and do check my straps regularly. This setup has been trouble free for over 15,000 miles so far.

Our motorhome has a 400hp Cummins ISL which has ample torque and hp to move the whole rig up steep and long inclines without losing more than 10 mph. On level roads, we can't feel the trailer at all. I added a rear view camera to the back of the trailer and connected it to the motorhome's monitor which helps a lot in not only backing up, but also to re-enter the right side lane when passing a slower vehicule. The motorhome / trailer combination is 73ft long so obviously i need to plan my stops ahead to ensure ample space and my turns are wider that when i was pulling our Jeep. We've been in very dense traffic, a few panic stops, and through some tight spots without any problems.

We have never had any issue at any campground we've been to with our trailer so far. Most places will either have pull throughs long enough for the rig or, will be more than happy to provide a spot to park the trailer. We've done both: towed a Jeep 4 wheels down, and now the trailer. We're quite happy with our current set up.

Good luck.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Honda CRV that is 15' long, what length would I need for it to be strapped down? I know I don't want to make the mistake of too short a trailer.
I presently tow the CRV 4 down but am considering on a trailer for it and a Suzuki Vstrom motorcycle. Just wondering about length from rear door forward for the CRV and tie-downs.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J
I have a Honda CRV that is 15' long, what length would I need for it to be strapped down? I know I don't want to make the mistake of too short a trailer.
I presently tow the CRV 4 down but am considering on a trailer for it and a Suzuki Vstrom motorcycle. Just wondering about length from rear door forward for the CRV and tie-downs.
We have approx 30 inches between the back of the trailer and the rear bumber of the A4.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J
The actual distance will be a function of weight balance as i move the car back or fortth depending on other goodies carried in the front part of the trailer. You nees to weigh the toaded trailer and move your car back or forward so to have tonguenweight equal to 10-15 percent of the trailer GVW for best control.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
I added a rear view camera to the back of the trailer and connected it to the motorhome's monitor which helps a lot in not only backing up, but also to re-enter the right side lane when passing a slower vehicle.
Could you share information as to your specific rear camera installation and the way it is hooked to your coaches monitor. I would love to be able to have the same or similar setup but have always gotten stalled on the project because of the length and connectivity between the trailer, coach and monitor.

Thanks so much !!!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film

Could you share information as to your specific rear camera installation and the way it is hooked to your coaches monitor. I would love to be able to have the same or similar setup but have always gotten stalled on the project because of the length and connectivity between the trailer, coach and monitor.

Thanks so much !!!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Richard, my coach came with the b&w Voyager system and one back up camera. I went to Camping world and purchased an additional b&w camera, 2 x 25 ft extention cables, a connection kit that has weatherproof connection plugs to allow quick & easy connection between the trailer and the coach, plus one additional adapter plug to allow connection to the cam2 input on back of the monitor.

Installed the camera on the trailer then used one end of one of the extention cables to connect to the camera, then spliced a 15ft length of 4strand data wire to increase the length to allow me to follow the contours of the trailer walls all the way to the tongue where the connection kit is connected. The b&w camera system uses a 4 strand cable.

Took the other extention cable, spliced in another 40 ft length of 4strand data cable, and beginning from the monitor, followed and tie wrapped to the brake controller cable all the way to the trailer hookup at the back of the motorhome where i installed the secomd half of the connector kit. This took a while, but was relatively easy.

Once the installation was complete, I have the view from the back of the coach at the cam1 position, and from the back of my trailer at the Cam2 position Last thing I needed to do was to disable the auto on switch that turns the camera on as soon as you shift into reverse because it by default selects cam1 which meant that when i backed up with the trailer, the coach camera came on and it wouldn't allow me to switch to cam2. There is a blue wire coming from the monitor that controls the reverse switch. I merely cut the wire so now, I can back up looking from cam2, which is the trailer camera or from cam1 from the coach at will.

Might sound like alot but it took a day to do the whole thing and I am far from being a mechanic so if I did it, anyone can!

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
Might sound like alot but it took a day to do the whole thing and I am far from being a mechanic so if I did it, anyone can! Good luck.
Gary,

Thanks so much for the installation explanation. I will give it a go after checking things out at Camping World for the parts.

When you refer to the 4 wire data cable, I am assuming that it looks like a telephone cable with the crimped ends but the wires are crimped in the data format instead of the telephone format, is that a correct assumption?

I have an exterior brake controller cable that I can follow also so that part is easy.

The hardest part may be getting at the back of my monitor without destroying the very brittle dash panel, it may fall apart into many piece's.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #23

Richard, you'll see that the camera and extention cable wire is extremely fine so I went with data cable for quality. I soldered the splices for quality and durability.

Gary
Old 12-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #24

[QUOTE=travelgirl;746480]Howdy,

my husband is now working on getting our excursion wired as well.

How is this "wiring" done to tow the Excursion and Superduty??? It was my understanding the Excursion was not to be towed, although I have seen it done. I thought it had to have a drive-line disconnect to do it. Any info would be appreciated!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:18 AM   #25

Update: I found a 2005 Haulmark 26' rig with grey/black water tanks and toilet and sink for $6500. From what I understand the studs are aluminum and they are installed on deck (not side deck) like many others. I'm thinking its a go, but still not willing to pull the plug. Camera's are a given, WHAT brand are you secure with? Wellcargo... seamless roof, haulmark, aluminum with cabinets 26' 4200lbs..... what say you. Change my mind to a better unit? Lets give the people the most bang for their buck!
nwcanopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:09 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=Revodoc;753748]
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelgirl View Post
Howdy,

my husband is now working on getting our excursion wired as well.

How is this "wiring" done to tow the Excursion and Superduty??? It was my understanding the Excursion was not to be towed, although I have seen it done. I thought it had to have a drive-line disconnect to do it. Any info would be appreciated!
TravelGirl,

Somehow, this got posted into the wrong thread.

I would suggest trying to re-post it into the correct thread where you most likely intended it to be in the first place. Or, hopefully the moderator will move it for you.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcanopies View Post
Update: I found a 2005 Haulmark 26' rig with grey/black water tanks and toilet and sink for $6500. From what I understand the studs are aluminum and they are installed on deck (not side deck) like many others. I'm thinking its a go, but still not willing to pull the plug. Camera's are a given, WHAT brand are you secure with? Wellcargo... seamless roof, haulmark, aluminum with cabinets 26' 4200lbs..... what say you. Change my mind to a better unit? Lets give the people the most bang for their buck!
Haulmark is a great brand of trailer. I almost bought one but the owner wanted too much money for it well over one year ago when it was up for sale and he still hasn't sold it. I looked for almost one year before the "right" deal came along and ended up with my 26 foot Pace Shadow, 4783 lb's curb weight. Haven't been disappointed at all. I originally started looking at Featherlight trailers because they are built with aluminum frames. They are one of the lightest trailer's built and strong, too, however, they were way too expensive also.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #28

[QUOTE=Dr4Film;753817]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revodoc View Post

TravelGirl,

Somehow, this got posted into the wrong thread.

I would suggest trying to re-post it into the correct thread where you most likely intended it to be in the first place. Or, hopefully the moderator will move it for you.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks for bumping it Dr! The thread is about towing... "What do you tow" kind of thread. TravelGirls hubby is talking about "towing" a Superduty and Excursion among other things... Since I'm new around here (Not new to Forums) Perhaps you can explain How this is posted in the wrong thread.

Btw, I tow a 26 foot Brown Motorsports Enclosed for my offroad toys with a 75 gallon fuel station and 60 gallons of fresh water with 30 amp service, AC, genny, flat screen and Stainless toolbox etc, etc