Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #29

[QUOTE=Revodoc;754452]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Thanks for bumping it Dr! The thread is about towing... "What do you tow" kind of thread. TravelGirls hubby is talking about "towing" a Superduty and Excursion among other things... Since I'm new around here (Not new to Forums) Perhaps you can explain How this is posted in the wrong thread.

Btw, I tow a 26 foot Brown Motorsports Enclosed for my offroad toys with a 75 gallon fuel station and 60 gallons of fresh water with 30 amp service, AC, genny, flat screen and Stainless toolbox etc, etc
Not to make waves here, but I started this thread to talk about enclosed trailer towing as I couldn't find much on this board. I think towing an excursion is good stuff, but probably needs its own thread. Thanks for addressing this Dr.

nwcanopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Depending on the trip destination;
we tow a 20ft enclosed trailer containing a Harley Davidson Ultra and a Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
OR
a Master Tow Dolly with our Volvo wagon attached to it.

Either one is not a problem except that there is no backing up with a tow dolly. So far only happened once where I had to unload car then back out of a situation. With the enclosed trailer it's a breeze. I actually pulled through a Taco Bell drive thru once with the trailer. They were surprised.

TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:12 AM   #31

[QUOTE=nwcanopies;754457]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revodoc View Post

Not to make waves here, but I started this thread to talk about enclosed trailer towing as I couldn't find much on this board. I think towing an excursion is good stuff, but probably needs its own thread. Thanks for addressing this Dr.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=Revodoc;754452]
Quote:

Thanks for bumping it Dr! The thread is about towing... "What do you tow" kind of thread. TravelGirls hubby is talking about "towing" a Superduty and Excursion among other things... Since I'm new around here (Not new to Forums) Perhaps you can explain How this is posted in the wrong thread.

Btw, I tow a 26 foot Brown Motorsports Enclosed for my offroad toys with a 75 gallon fuel station and 60 gallons of fresh water with 30 amp service, AC, genny, flat screen and Stainless toolbox etc, etc
Revodoc,

Yup, I addressed this particular post to the wrong person, it should have been addressed to you, my mistake.

However, this particular thread entitled, "Enclosed Trailer Towing - What Do You Tow", was specifically intended to talk about towing enclosed trailers, not what vehicles people are towing. Your post would have been better served if placed into a different thread or starting a new one of your own.

I was simply attempting to make sure that this thread did not get high-jacked like so many of them do when the original topic gets sidetracked.

Once you've been on this forum for a longer period of time, you will understand what I am talking about.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchStar38 View Post
Depending on the trip destination;
we tow a 20ft enclosed trailer containing a Harley Davidson Ultra and a Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
OR
a Master Tow Dolly with our Volvo wagon attached to it.

Either one is not a problem except that there is no backing up with a tow dolly. So far only happened once where I had to unload car then back out of a situation. With the enclosed trailer it's a breeze. I actually pulled through a Taco Bell drive thru once with the trailer. They were surprised.
What is your trailer brand? What do you like about it? I'm going to look at a Haulmark and a WellsCargo today. Haulmark is 24' and the WC is 20'. Both used. Just waiting for the right one to come along
nwcanopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #34

Quote:
Could you share information as to your specific rear camera installation and the way it is hooked to your coaches monitor. I would love to be able to have the same or similar setup but have always gotten stalled on the project because of the length and connectivity between the trailer, coach and monitor.

Thanks so much !!!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.

Yea, I see EXACTLY what you are talking about richard
Old 12-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #35

Quote:
Gary,

Thanks so much for the installation explanation. I will give it a go after checking things out at Camping World for the parts.

When you refer to the 4 wire data cable, I am assuming that it looks like a telephone cable with the crimped ends but the wires are crimped in the data format instead of the telephone format, is that a correct assumption?

I have an exterior brake controller cable that I can follow also so that part is easy.

The hardest part may be getting at the back of my monitor without destroying the very brittle dash panel, it may fall apart into many piece's.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.

This must be just an example of a Hi-jack of the thread... Nice work richard

Really should start your own thread on back up cameras
Old 12-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a WellsCargo 20ft enclosed trailer. It has electric brakes. The interior is finished with a corner shelf forward. We had floor hook points installed for the motorcycles. The read door is one solid ramp with cables that assist to make it easy to lower/raise. The locking mechanism for the read door has grab hooks on both sides and then a latch lock in the middle. It also has an access door on the right forward side so you don't have to open the rear door for frequent access. The front of the trailer is covered with diamond back as a rock guard. The front top has a sloping chrome cover for looks and possibly some aerodynamics. We have carried 3 motorcycles but normally carry only 2 with various riding accessories. The enclosed trailer towing is almost effortless except for making sharp turns. Need to watch the trailer. It backs very easily. We also have a wheel for the front trailer hitch so that when we detach the trailer we can keep it level for various reasons.
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We're probably towing one of the smallest enclosed trailers out there, it's an Excalibur single bike trailer that we haul our motorcycle in during rv season and store our outdoor furniture in during the winter season. It pulls great, you don't even know it's back there, doesn't take up much space at the campsite, and it fits in the garage when not being used. But for sure there isn't room for much besides the motorcycle inside it when traveling with it.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
I tow a 24' enclosed Pace with a 5' tongue. The longer tongue keeps me out of trouble backing up. I am 73' overall length.

I also disagree with crossing the straps inside an enclosed. If you go straight and one breaks (gets loose) the other side is still tight and pulling straight ahead (or behind). If you cross one and it breaks, the rig bouncing will pull it toward the side of the trailer.

I also use a backup camera on the back of the trailer. I have a 4 camera system on the motorhome, (one on front corner due to close retaining wall in my driveway), plus the GPS in the same monitor . I have used www.RVCams.com with great success.

This is the system in the RV:

This is the camera on the front bumper:

I use this quad view switcher, allows me to add 3 additional cameras.

This is my camera connection to the trailer:

I do have plans of adding another camera inside the trailer, the above pigtail is wired for two cameras. The rear cameras on both the trailer and RV have motorized tilt so I can see the trailer hitch or right behind the trailer. This is done be a remote control that comes with the switcher.

Well if that is getting a little off topic, I probably should not mention the 4 camera system on the Rock Carwler:

Old 01-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #39

Love it

Having a camera on the back of the trailer is the only way to roll...

"Rock crawler" is smokin and the 4 wheeler isn't too bad either
Old 01-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
I'm curious to know just how well Car Trailers are received in National, State or private campgrounds.

I ask this because my wife and I plan to come out later this year and will be towing our much loved Subaru on or in a trailer. Most of our stays will likely be in National Parks and on public lands.

I'd appreciate it if any of you who are hauling car trailers could lend some insight on this subject.

Thanks,
Craig
Old 01-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
we have a dolly for the toad and a tandem axle HaulMark enclosed with electric brakes for the Harleys , never had a problem with the trailer in a park ...
Old 01-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
I tow a 32' racecar trailer that weighs about 12,000 lbs when loaded. I use a trailer toad to get the tounge weight off of the motorhome, the trailer toad is the best thing i have ever used for towing, well worth the money. Visit www.trailertoad.com and check it out. I am also a "Racer Representative" for Trailer Toad, if you live close to Houston, TX send me an email and I can tell you how i can save you several hundred dollars on the purchase of a Trailer Toad, i am not trying to sale anything i just kniw how money is tight for everyone and will help anyone when i can. My email is nhra4175@yahoo.com