Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
It would be interesting to know how many CRVs have been purchased nation wide because they could be towed four down. Oh well, it's natural that things change and we, as RVers, will adapt and move on.
I think the value of my 2013 CRV just went up....
Why else would you own one?

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #16

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
There are numerous FWD and AWD vehicles from Ford and GM that can be towed 4-down with auto trans. A few are Ford C-Max, Edge, Explorer, Focus, Taurus, Lincoln MKX and MKT, Chevy Equinox and Traverse, Buick Enclave and Regal, GMC Terrain and Acadia. The loss of Honda as a towable is a sharp blow but there are still alternatives.
FYI according to Remco Towing the Regal must be dolly-towed in both AWD and FWD versions. I agree the others can be towed 4-down but many of them are significantly larger and heavier than the CR-V.

No, the loss of the CR-V is not a fatal blow to MH towing, but it is a loss for those who were looking for an AWD toad with an automatic transmission in the 3,500 lb range. If we hadn't bought our 2014 CR-V we'd probably have bought an Equinox or a Cherokee.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, Honda told us (after we bought it) that our '05 Odyssey wasn't towable four down, then they paid us to buy a dolly. But I also found out the more than just a few owners were towing them four down, so I want back to four down. So far no troubles other than the normal one of forgetting to release the parking brake!!
And I was looking forward to getting a CR-V when the Ody got too old as we really like Honda's. Their CR-V sales will plummet and they'll wonder why.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
As stated, the more expensive (naturally) Jeeps still have the shiftable transfer cases. The manufacturers just want more money from us.
This isn't something new. The Quadra Trac I equipped Jeeps have never been towable and they've been around for years. We want the Quadra Trac II or Quadra Drive II transfer cases which have high, low and neutral. They were introduced in 1999. The Quadra Trac I is equivalent of other manufacturers AWD, with nothing to fuss with.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had 1997 Jeep GC with the full time four wheel drive (Quadra Trak II I think). It was towable four down and I actually liked towing it better then the Ody we now have. It rode rough and was harder to get into but I kind of liked it. Got terrible gas mileage with the 5.1 V-8 though
May need to look for a used Jeep, when the Ody goes.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #20

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
With the change on the new Jeeps too, I think our Liberty's value inched up a bit also.

It is getting harder to find automatic transmission vehicles 4-down towable that my tall husband will fit in. When the Jeep costs more to fix than to keep, don't know what we'll do.

Lori-
We towed 2009 Malibu and a Chev S10 before we bought a 2013 Ram 4X4 with V6. Little heavier but it sure is nice driving and the mileage is around 22 mpg overall according to gauge.

Beagle
Old 10-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford focus is an excellent toad car. Automatic is factory towable with no modifications other than disconnecting the battery when towing. I had set up a knife switch on the main battery cable to make the disconnect easy. Also installed a new 12 volt socket wired in front of the switch for powering my brake system. Works great. I wanted a bit bigger toad so I am switching to the Buick Enclave.
Grn_Mtn_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #22

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We looked at the Focus, but it was a bit small for us and the dealer didn't disagree that the automatic transmission is a POS. There are so many problems with that transmission that, apparently, some dealers don't want to sell them to customers.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:08 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
The 2015 Honda CR-V was released this morning and, as predicted, it has a CVT transmission. Although I haven't seen any specific information on towing this model behind a MH, the Accord with a similar transmission is not towable.
Docj --

Wonder if this is the final word on this topic. I drove two of them today -- an EX version and a Touring version. Very nice buggies, both. They made enough changes to the car that it makes us wonder if it is time to trade our '13 EX-L for a '15 model. If it were clearly flat towable, I would have it ordered already. If we find that it is not towable, it is going to be a hard decision about whether to get it and count on towing it on an aluminum trailer behind the motor home.

The salesman told us that Honda literature says no flat towing of its other CVT vehicles, but that he believes Honda is still "doing research" on ability to flat tow the '15 CR-V. He is well aware of the number of CR-V's owned and flat towed by MH owners.

I am trying to sharpen the research on this as we really would like to upgrade to the '15, but aren't thrilled about having to buy a trailer to use it with the motor home. If you or anyone else has any updated info on tow ability on this vehicle, please be sure to post it and add to this thread.

Thanks.

Deek
FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 - All Electric / 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit AWD / SMI Air Force One / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:20 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I read somewhere that the CR-V with the CVT was towable and it was very recently.
Still waiting for the true story although Honda told us our '05 Ody was towable (in writing), then told us it wasn't. Then they paid us over $2,200 for their mistake. The real mistake was one of their support people putting it in writing (on Honda letterhead) that it was towable in Dec 2004 before we bought it. And the reason for buying it was to be able to tow it four down. Now have 97,000+ miles on it with no troubles other than the battery going dead so I ran a charge line.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
We looked at the Focus, but it was a bit small for us and the dealer didn't disagree that the automatic transmission is a POS. There are so many problems with that transmission that, apparently, some dealers don't want to sell them to customers.
Have not had any problems with mine. I bought it new (2012) and about 32000 miles on it. Except for oil changes and the like, the only time it been in the shop is when I had a backup camera installed.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Lets see some backup documentation on that statement.
Which dealers? What problems?
It is not an automatic transmission. It is an automatically shifted manual trans. It has no torque converter.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Well, Honda told us (after we bought it) that our '05 Odyssey wasn't towable four down, then they paid us to buy a dolly. But I also found out the more than just a few owners were towing them four down, so I want back to four down. So far no troubles other than the normal one of forgetting to release the parking brake!!
And I was looking forward to getting a CR-V when the Ody got too old as we really like Honda's. Their CR-V sales will plummet and they'll wonder why.
I doubt there will be any significant change in total CRV sales just because it's no longer towable. How many motor homes are there and of that number how many want to use a Honda as a towed vehicle?

I was sadder when they stopped making the Element
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #28

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
I doubt there will be any significant change in total CRV sales just because it's no longer towable. How many motor homes are there and of that number how many want to use a Honda as a towed vehicle?
I'm afraid you're right which is why Honda probably didn't put this in its calculations at all. I think last year they sold >300k CR-V's. The total number of Class A and Class C MH's shipped to dealers has been running <4k/mo according to RVIA.

So the total addressable market of new MH owners is <50k per year assuming all of them needed to buy new toads. If one assumes that half the new MH owners had vehicles they could tow either 4-down or on a dolly, that reduces the new MH market to 25k/year. Add to that some number of existing MH owners who need to replace their toads, but that number is probably a lot smaller.

None of this proves much other than the fact that the total annual addressable MH market for the CR-V is probably rather small compared to the existing CR-V sales base.

Tags
toad