Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:38 PM   #1

Equipping a new Wrangler for towing

Has anyone recently equipped a late model Wrangler for towing? When I did our new 2001 Sahara the tow bracket was simple since the front bumper was very sturdy and easy to attach the tow bracket to. Then with some diodes the rear lights were easy to connect to the front end for attaching to the M H trailer plug.
I read someplace that it's not all that simple now to connect a two bracket to the front of the Wrangler since it has to be reached back directly to the frame of the Jeep. Does it take a special tow bracket, and if having it all done by a shop about what does it cost to have the Jeep "tow ready"? Still love our 2001 but would like to have a new one with all the extra special add ons and the bigger "more efficient engine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 05:29 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If thinking to add an aftermarket bumper you can tow from there. Either via the D-rings or added brackets. Saves having to add a base plate and the loss of ground clearance. If wanted a base plate Currie makes a popular one that tucks up pretty well. Many folks DIY install, just depends on being a bit handy with tools.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #3

I just put a Blueox baseplate on my 2015 Wrangler and a Hopkins wire harness. The whole thing took me about 2 hours at most.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #4

Recommend Blue Ox baseplate. Pretty simple install to Wrangler frame using some existing holes, and drilling 1 each side on frame. Get the type with removeable tow pins to save your shins when not towing. Very clean installation / unobtrusive. I used a Cool Tech wiring harness for lighting / signals.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I just put a Blueox baseplate on my 2015 Wrangler and a Hopkins wire harness. The whole thing took me about 2 hours at most.
Two hours, you're really good Nick. My last job like that probably took me that long, if not longer, on each end of the Jeep. I'm definitely going to keep your address so I'll know who to hollar at when, if, I manage to find the Wrangler I like and have to set it up for towing. I'm currently using a Blueox tow bar so I'm part way there already.
Thanks for the response.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:27 PM   #6

What is a Hopkins wire harness?
Old 03-15-2016, 06:04 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
wagonmaster2-

Here are links to two etrailer.com Web pages for plug-in harnesses for a 2015 Wrangler. The top one is for the Hopkins product.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wir...id=20151351067
https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wir...id=20151134450

I'm not a Wrangler owner, but I've read enough posts to know that Demco and Mopar make harnesses, too. Here are links to their products.

http://demco-products.com/assets/use...ts/9523093.pdf
Tow Vehicle Wiring Harness - 82211156AB | Mopar

Here's a link to a CoolTech harness, as mentioned by "britcon" in post #4:

http://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler-...rness-kit.html

Depending on your supplemental braking system, you may want to install a brake light relay. The etrailer pages have some information on that.

As always, please confirm any part numbers and whether or not they will work on your year and model.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #8

We have a 2013 Wrangler with a Blue Ox Baseplate.
Cool Tech wiring harness.
Ready Brake tow bar/surge brake.

2 to 3 hours to install in my driveway.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I installed a Demco base plate on my 2012 Wrangler and a Mopar wiring harness. The Demco bolts directly to the frame and structure and is very well built. I went with the Mopar harness since it would not create any warranty issues being a factory part. It isolates the Jeeps wiring using small relays.

I would not recommend any towing using the D-Rings. These are just welded to 3/16" (normal size for bumpers) steel and are subject to flexing. RockHard and LoD bumpers have attachment plates that bolt through the bumper directly to the frame. Check out the below photo for a D-Ring failure posted on another site. The poster said the year old bumper was supposed to be approved for towing by the D-Rings, but you can see what happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DRingFailure.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	121477  
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:28 PM   #10

Actually in process right now on our 2009 JK. For the wiring I found the best harness was direct from Mopar. I got mine at the dealer but amazon and ebay both carry it. Took an hour to install and is a clean way. No cutting wires plug and play.

For the bumper I priced base plates and aftermarket bumpers and after all that decided go build mine. I ordered the Blue Ox tow bar brackets that bolt on for $75.00. I built my bumper out of 6" c channel. Looks old school like the Cj but very strong and simple.

Just ordered the brake buddy this week.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:59 PM   #11

I recently finished setting up my 2012 Sahara with the following; Blue Ox base plate, Blue Ox Avail tow bar. Hopkins wiring, M&G brakes with break away and alert light. I did all the install except for the Jeep M&G part and it took several weeks to get it all done. OK I know, that's a long time but I wasn't rushed and had to make parts runs along the way. For my coach, no drop or rise extension required. 1.5" difference.

Nothing about the install was complicated but you have to have top quality drill bits for the frame and an assistant to spray oil as you drill. The information I got from M&G about coach fittings was worn thus the parts run to get proper fittings. Having an assistant will cut install time considerably but I wasn't in a rush. Everything works wonderful and this Sunday taking a short trip up to the Ft Benning recreational services park along the Chattahooche river.

Hopkins wiring offered by trailer.

http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiri...FQotHwodVj0AYg
Old 03-16-2016, 11:08 PM   #12

I got the Currie plate for our '15 JKU. It bolts on in place of the plastic air dam underneath the front bumper. IMHO it's a much cleaner looking install than the other baseplates. There was some trimming of the radiator support (?) involved in the install but I have a 4 1/2 " grinder that made quick work of it.

I didn't want to cut into the wiring harness so I used a Hopkins wiring kit.

One other thing, I made some mounts out of "L" brackets to mount the break away switch and umbilical cord so they fit behind the grill. Really cleans up the front end.

Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slolane View Post
I got the Currie plate for our '15 JKU. It bolts on in place of the plastic air dam underneath the front bumper. IMHO it's a much cleaner looking install than the other baseplates. There was some trimming of the radiator support (?) involved in the install but I have a 4 1/2 " grinder that made quick work of it.

I didn't want to cut into the wiring harness so I used a Hopkins wiring kit.

One other thing, I made some mounts out of "L" brackets to mount the break away switch and umbilical cord so they fit behind the grill. Really cleans up the front end.
[/URL]
I liked the looks of the Currie base plate and almost used it but opted for the Demco instead. As for wiring, the Mopar harness does not require any cutting of the harness. It's totally plug and play.

On your brackets, you might look at your breakaway switch mounting. With it pointing down, it very well could pull the ring out or break it without pulling the pin on the switch. The switch really should be pointed forward so the pin will pull straight out. Just my opinion, others may vary.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #14

Recently did an 06 Wrangler using Blue OX baseplate and diodes for taillights. In retrospect--think I should have used the money spent on baseplate to offset cost, and get a nice aftermarket bumper [but wouldnt use the d-rings--some brands like RockHard [I think] come with Blue Ox or other tow tabs built in]. Guess it depends on the look and function you want after the install......

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing