Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Don, No why should you just let them replace the trans until the war entry runs out then trade.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #16

I'm currently considering the Jeep Liberty. Negotiations with the Jeep dealer broke down and someone suggest the Liberty as an alternate to the Wrangler (oh, do they ever seem to hold their value - we have Wranglers by the bucket full around the Windsor area - I guess so many Chrysler employees getting good discounts).

I identified on Liberty that was loaded with options but it was sold before I contacted the dealer. Have a few more on my list to check now. Just what I need - 3 cars and a motorhome. DW's idea is that in a few years we downsize again - to a small trailer. Then I'll no doubt have to consider what to buy that can tow the trailer "she who must be obeyed selects."
Old 07-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #17

This thread is all to familiar to me. I too have suffered the embarrassment of the notice by a complete stranger pulling alongside telling me, "your cars on fire". Ford has rebuilt the trans once between instances, I have removed the big mudflap, now using a 3T's mini flap, and gone to using a bra on the front of the Escape, stopping every 125 miles and checking the trans temp with a laser thermometer . I kind of resent the implication by some, (Ford service and dealers included), that it is MY fault this is happening. Especially since I religiously follow the towing guidelines. I have always had service done by a Ford dealer, and recently had a follow-up customer interview, which I responded to. I got a call from the dealer manager who wasn't pleased I didn't give them an "outstanding" review. When I explained my dissatisfaction with the responses I have had with a fix for the trans, both by the dealership and from Corporate Ford, he told me his hands were tied and to go to FOMCO myself as "a squeaky wheel gets the grease". I can' get over the feeling I got bamboozled buying this car when we were specifically told it was completely towable. I'm waiting for a class action suit to solve this issue, as Ford could care less about their customers, of which I will never be another one again.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Pushrod I totally understand but dont go to GM thinking things are better I got the same run around with oil usage on a 2010 Equinox my solution was to buy a Ford only I went to a Edge and this is a great tow car but now we are going to a 2013 F150 4X4 in the next few days, I expect it to be a good toad also.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #19

Please let us know how the 150 works out, they sure look nice!

Dan
Old 07-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktnhog View Post
Please let us know how the 150 works out, they sure look nice!

Dan
Dan according to the owner manual you just go through the procedure with the electric 4 wheel drive and tow with no speed or time limit, I also have a friend towing a 2013 f 150 KC XLT no problem and another in the process of getting a King Ranch, I will be towing a little cheaper XLT CC . Look up the owners manual you can download it, FMCA toad chart shows the same thing no restrictions.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2011 View Post
Our transmission in our 2011 escape just failed. Dealer will put the pump in for 3500. My question is should I pay that and hope it works or am I better off to cut my looses and move to another toad. I don't want to spend the money unless the consensus of opinion is that this pump will fix the problem. Ford will replace the transmission under warranty either way. What would you guys do?
I would let ford replace the transmission and then I would buy a tow dolly to pull the escape. I know pulling four down is a lot easier, but you shouldn't have to worry about the tranny again.
geno39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno39 View Post
I would let ford replace the transmission and then I would buy a tow dolly to pull the escape. I know pulling four down is a lot easier, but you shouldn't have to worry about the tranny again.
Better read the manual. You CANNOT put an AWD Escape (or ANY other AWD vehicle or 4WD vehicle on a tow dolly - you have to use a trailer. An FWD Escape (or any other FWD car can be put on a dolly. We have an AWD Escape.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Better read the manual. You CANNOT put an AWD Escape (or ANY other AWD vehicle or 4WD vehicle on a tow dolly - you have to use a trailer. An FWD Escape (or any other FWD car can be put on a dolly. We have an AWD Escape.
You can do a 4wd if you disconnect or remove the drive shaft. Did it to my Mazda Tribute (same as Escape). Never did need the 4WD. Don't know about an AWD.
geno39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #24

Quote:
You can do a 4wd if you disconnect or remove the drive shaft. Did it to my Mazda Tribute (same as Escape). Never did need the 4WD. Don't know about an AWD.
The Escape's 4WD is actually AWD since you cannot drive it in anything other than AWD. I've asked them to explain why they used the term 4WD when it wasn't 4WD in the traditional sense used by GM and Chrysler - silence is all I got.

I know the Tribute is the same as the Escape as my son who is an MEng spent 7 weeks in Japan working with Mazda and Ford on the original vehicle. His firm did the IP design. Not the instrument panel but the steel wall that sits behind it to keep the engine in front in an accident.

Only interesting story from that trip was the cherry sundae he ordered one weekend by pointing to a picture as the description was only in Japanese. They gave him a baked bean sundae.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #25

There have been some cases where Ford has paid for most of the Remco pump installation. I believe the customer pays for some labor but if there is enough failures for your vehicle, the words "lemon law" are used and the dealer communicates this to the Hot Line, or if an FSE gets involved. Unfortunately it can take some headache to try and get some help on this. Im not sure what Fords intentions are about this as I have been out of the flat tow failure loop for 6 months or so. Even if a call to Ford Customer relations and "Lemon Law" is talked about, it may help.

We have seen many cases where the vehicle was not being towed properly when the failures occurred but if directions are being followed exactly and the failures still occur, you did not hear this from me...............

I would like to know how many of the repeat failures are when towed with diesel pushers. I stopped a diesel pusher a year ago because their Escape transmission was over heating. The heat behind the coach was very high. I can somewhat understand why the transmissions are not cooling properly with the amount of heat escaping from that engine compartment.

BTW, If there is a flat tow failure the transmission MUST be replaced with a new cooler. This is Fords requirements. If the transmission is rebuilt, it will likely fail again because not all the melted plastic will get out of the passage ways. Even during the reman process the cases are replaced when a trans comes in for a flat tow failure.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #26

Quote:
I would not do this and this is why. The RDU (rear differential unit) has both a rear differential and fluid coupler for engaging the drive shaft to the rear differential. These are both separate systems. When the vehicle is on a dolly the fluid will move towards the rear. This may cause some dry areas in the front of the differential section or coupler section. This is not advisable at all.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #27

James, it is a pity that Ford insists on waiting until the transmission fries before it will have the pump installed. I had expected to pay perhaps $1500 or so and was shocked at the price quoted to me by the dealer. My logic was "Ford has a nasty problem it would like to solve so it will make the pump and installation available at an attractive cost in order to reduce damaged transmissions and lower its warranty cost." Seems my thinking was wrong and some clown at Ford instead figured they could make it another profit centre. Very foolish IMO.

Don

ps. Ours has not burned out. As noted earlier we have taken every precaution including not installing a dirt skirt to ensure air flows a freely as possible. Frustrating, just frustrating. Especially when you want to trade the Escape and they see the baseplates and the value starts to shrink. Had they been smart and attempted to limit damage to their reputation they might have offered owners of Escapes who tow them (verified) a decent certificate allowing a price reduction on an Edge or Explorer. I've not seen any towing related problems with the Edge and would consider one but I keep asking myself why I want to go back to the Ford well, given the way it treats owners.

I've tried to ask them, through our dealer's service manager, if we could run the engine while towing IF that would add to the cooling of the transmission fluid. No answer several weeks later.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
I've tried to ask them, through our dealer's service manager, if we could run the engine while towing IF that would add to the cooling of the transmission fluid. No answer several weeks later.

I actually brought up this question to some of the higher ups. My thought was a remote car starter that would allow the engine to start while in neutral. The only downfall I could see is some accumulation to the odometer. This transmission uses a thermostatic expansion valve that controls transmission temps when warmed up. There should be no issues with transmission cooling that I can think of. Never got any type of answer back.

BTW, the service manager would not likely have any clue on any of this. There position is to manage the service department and in most cases posses' very little technical skills.