Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post

I actually brought up this question to some of the higher ups. My thought was a remote car starter that would allow the engine to start while in neutral. The only downfall I could see is some accumulation to the odometer. This transmission uses a thermostatic expansion valve that controls transmission temps when warmed up. There should be no issues with transmission cooling that I can think of. Never got any type of answer back.

BTW, the service manager would not likely have any clue on any of this. There position is to manage the service department and in most cases posses' very little technical skills.
We also have joined the 2010 Ford Escape fried transmission club. Ford stood by its warranty and replaced the tranny. TSB 12-11-3 recommends the installation of an optional tranny cooling pump kit for flat towing to prevent tranny overheating. Can anyone report any issues after having the cooling pump kit installed? Does this recommended solution work?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #30

Given they quoted us $5200 to install the pump, taxes included, we lost interest (and got more PO'd with them).

Old 07-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #31

I installed one on my 2010 after the tranny went at 45000 kms. Was probably the first in Canada. I ordered it not knowing the price nor did the dealer. I figured it was 999. from Remco so figured it would be 1500.00 from ford good luck with that. It came in at 3400.00 retail. I already had it installed and the service manager phoned Ford and wanted to know if they were crazy. They ended up selling it to me for 1900.00. so far no problems with the tranny but I did have to replace the pump. It failed on my last trip. Ford warrantied it with out question.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmar10 View Post
I installed one on my 2010 after the tranny went at 45000 kms. Was probably the first in Canada. I ordered it not knowing the price nor did the dealer. I figured it was 999. from Remco so figured it would be 1500.00 from ford good luck with that. It came in at 3400.00 retail. I already had it installed and the service manager phoned Ford and wanted to know if they were crazy. They ended up selling it to me for 1900.00. so far no problems with the tranny but I did have to replace the pump. It failed on my last trip. Ford warrantied it with out question.
Thanks for your response, however, looks to me like the pump saves the transmission, but now it is vulnerable. Therefore the problem is not solved by installing the pump. For the peace of mind, I think I'll just change dinghies.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmar10 View Post
I assume that was just the pump cost and not labour? If you got it for $3400 with labour that is MUCH less than what I was quote (see above - which had a purported discount of $800 as well).

On other threads and forums people in the US reported getting a lube pump installed on an Escape for $1500 to $1600 all in. That was BEFORE Ford took over the program and put the boots to us.

My negotiations with the Jeep dealer are going no where at this point but the Ford dealer may be far more receptive to a trade for a loaded 2013 Edge AWD Limited with a reasonable year end discount. The PITA will be getting the baseplates installed since they don't really want to include that as part of a purchase package or do it afterwards.

Also, I feel that by purchasing another Ford product I'll be rewarding Ford for shafting me. Not a good feeling. Thus, I may end up with a used Liberty. Our first MH was used and the next four new. We've never purchased a used car and that raises the issue of trust, mileage, remaining warranty, transferability, and so on. We'd keep our Escape (DW just loves the size and doesn't really want anything larger - even though I've convinced her that an Edge isn't really much larger.) and Town & Country so it means another car to plug the driveway. One advantage will be 4WD for me in the winter during our returns from Florida.

Don

BTW, Remco claims a failure rate of about 2% for the pumps. So they aren't going to be trouble free for everyone. Before Ford took over the program they pointed out that if the owner has a lube pump installed and it contributes to the failure of the transmission it will not be covered under the warranty.

In hindsight, I'm sure Ford now wishes it had been as decisive as GM when the Cruze started destroying transmissions when being towed. GM killed the approval for towing very quickly whereas Ford too about 3 years and put its customers through a meat grinder.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #34

For those that want to know the remco pump is $2913.82. That is straight list. Cost is just under $1900. Please remember that these are suggested retail prices and the dealers can alter these prices. You may be able to buy it 20% over cost or whatever you can get them to. For the guy that was quoted $5200, it looks like they wanted $2200 for labor to install it. I have never installed one and I don't recall Ford giving a labor time for these but it does seem high. Seems like I have heard around the 8 hour time frame but again, never installed one so im not exactly sure what is involved but least some of you can use this info for the future.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #35

Quote:
For those that want to know the remco pump is $2913.82. That is straight list. Cost is just under $1900. Please remember that these are suggested retail prices and the dealers can alter these prices. You may be able to buy it 20% over cost or whatever you can get them to. For the guy that was quoted $5200, it looks like they wanted $2200 for labor to install it. I have never installed one and I don't recall Ford giving a labor time for these but it does seem high. Seems like I have heard around the 8 hour time frame but again, never installed one so im not exactly sure what is involved but least some of you can use this info for the future.
They didn't want $2200 labour to install - they wanted $1400. List in Canada (given the usual screwing factor add on) is $4,000 and the dealer said he'd charge us $3200. Then add sales tax and that got it to $5200. So, my comment to Ford - stuff it. If we keep towing it and it goes - then you shell out a lot more Ford.

I may be in to the dealer tomorrow to dicker on a trade for an Edge. I want to include baseplate installation (I'll supply the plates) but they will probably gulp and say "we can't do it."

Don
Old 07-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #36

I just went through all this when I decided to replace my 2010 Taurus SHO. I had no problems with the Taurus (AWD) in over 10K so went looking at an Escape because we were looking for a vehicle with a little more ground clearance.
Ford Dealer tells me you cannot flat tow the 13's. Others told me the Edge is also a problem.
Did a little research and narrowed it down to a Honda CRV. Bought the CRV Touring (AWD) model and really like it.
You cannot find a better small sized tow car IMHO. Per the owners manual, this car is built to tow four down. It is very easy to get set up. NO Trans pump required.
Put it in Neutral, key on Acc and away you go. Only Con on this car is that it is a little low in the HP Class at 180 HP. Big shock coming from the 365HP SHO but I will get over it. LOL
Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I just went through all this when I decided to replace my 2010 Taurus SHO. I had no problems with the Taurus (AWD) in over 10K so went looking at an Escape because we were looking for a vehicle with a little more ground clearance.
Ford Dealer tells me you cannot flat tow the 13's. Others told me the Edge is also a problem.
Did a little research and narrowed it down to a Honda CRV. Bought the CRV Touring (AWD) model and really like it.
You cannot find a better small sized tow car IMHO. Per the owners manual, this car is built to tow four down. It is very easy to get set up. NO Trans pump required.
Put it in Neutral, key on Acc and away you go. Only Con on this car is that it is a little low in the HP Class at 180 HP. Big shock coming from the 365HP SHO but I will get over it. LOL
Dennis you missed out on a fine toad I towed a 2011 Edge and just today traded it for a F150 4X4 CC , the Edge had plenty power with good fuel milage the only minus was I had to run a charge line from the RV to the toad.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
The only Edge that cannot be flat towed in the 4cyl Ecoboost edge. It has the same transmission as the Escapes. The V6 Edge has no issues and flat tows very well. Looks like you were misinformed.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #39

Quote:

The only Edge that cannot be flat towed in the 4cyl Ecoboost edge. It has the same transmission as the Escapes. The V6 Edge has no issues and flat tows very well. Looks like you were misinformed.
Fair enough, but after driving both cars, I think I made the right choice. $ for $ horsepower or lack thereof.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #40

The only way to tow a 13 4X4 2.0 Ecoboost Escape. Rock guard and hydrolic surge brakes. No problems, and drive any speed you want. And can back up for miles if needed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	43233  
Old 07-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #41
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
The only way to tow a 13 4X4 2.0 Ecoboost Escape. Rock guard and hydrolic surge brakes. No problems, and drive any speed you want. And can back up for miles if needed!
Cool.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #42

the pump did fail but the pressure switch did its job and warned me. if I did not like the escape it would have been gone but of course I have all the base plate and wiring already done. Installing the pump was not that tough took about 4 hours. The wiring for the Mh is a little tougher if you can not find any wires running to the back, You used to be able to buy the kit from remco for 999.00. Ford added some custom stuff to make it look like a factory install with steel lines but in the long run it should not have been my problem