Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WOW, that seems a bit much. I would check around but I'm sure you (well hubby) could install that base plate yourself. Jeep Wranglers are one of the easiest to install. The wiring on the other hand may be a little different situation but shouldn't be that bad. A little time spent on your own can save you some real $$$$$$$. In seeing the prices though I guess that's why I'm liking my dolly all the more. Dolly came complete with brakes, lighting out the door $2450.00. I also like the fact that I didn't have to modify the car or have to look forward to putting it back to it's original state if and when we sell it. (meaning cutting out the facia for base plate and installing the wiring)

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sarah,

CraigsList is your friend...maybe. I purchased a slightly used Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar with safety cables and cover for less than $200. It came with a motorhome this individual had just bought and his tow vehicle was already set up with some other towing system so he didn't need it.

On edit, I just looked on Houston's Craigs List and there is a Roadmaster Stowmaster towbar for $300 and mounting brackets for a 2002 Jeep Wrangler for $100 (new). I don't know if this will work for you. Also a Roadmaster Sterling for $200.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
PS... I am so jealous of your Bounder... That's the best floor plan ever!!
Aw, aren't you nice? We love it...but now WE'RE jealous of the people who bought the bath and a half model...HAHA. Moho envy never ends, I gotta tell ya.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I sincerely thank everyone who responded to me, especially with those leads on where to find better deals. Actually, we had decided to buy the ReadyBrute system with the integrated surge brake. I was trying to find an RV shop that would install it, but that shop will not install "customer-provided parts."

I suppose we will end up doing much of the work ourselves. We are not retired and since leisure time is minimal, it's just easier to pay someone. (But NOT $5100!! LOL!!) Also, my hubby has ligament damage in his knees and it is a struggle for him to do all the bending and crouching that's necessary.

I also have a concern about doing any wiring ourselves. I don't want to putz up the Jeep warranty with a wiring harness mistake...but I guess that's another thread.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #19

I just ordered a baseplate from Demco for $340 for our 2011 Jeep Liberty and I will install it myself. I already have a ReadyBrake tow bar, so everything else for the Jeep came to another $160 which I will also install. Take a look at www.readybrake.com
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
I just ordered a baseplate from Demco for $340 for our 2011 Jeep Liberty and I will install it myself. I already have a ReadyBrake tow bar, so everything else for the Jeep came to another $160 which I will also install. Take a look at www.readybrake.com
Thanks, John. That's the "ReadyBrute" system that I was referring to in my last post. It appears to be a better solution than many of the other supplemental braking options. What kind of wiring will you use for lights? And how difficult is the breakaway part of that install?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #21

I haven't totally decided yet. May first try the seperate light sockets if I have room and if not I'll just get the kit they make for it.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
I haven't totally decided yet. May first try the seperate light sockets if I have room and if not I'll just get the kit they make for it.
So when you say "separate light sockets," do you mean like the Blue Ox light setup?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW
I sincerely thank everyone who responded to me, especially with those leads on where to find better deals. Actually, we had decided to buy the ReadyBrute system with the integrated surge brake. I was trying to find an RV shop that would install it, but that shop will not install "customer-provided parts."

I suppose we will end up doing much of the work ourselves. We are not retired and since leisure time is minimal, it's just easier to pay someone. (But NOT $5100!! LOL!!) Also, my hubby has ligament damage in his knees and it is a struggle for him to do all the bending and crouching that's necessary.

I also have a concern about doing any wiring ourselves. I don't want to putz up the Jeep warranty with a wiring harness mistake...but I guess that's another thread.
I had my ready brute installed in Banning Ca. at Bob Millers RV. I got that referral directly from the guys at Nightshift. I think if you contact them they will have someone in your area who do installations. I've had the ready brute for a couple of years now and it works great. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #24

Maybe the simplest wiring for tail/brake lights is to use the magnetic light package you can buy for $40 to $60 at RV parts stores or auto parts stores or even Walmart. Make sure the lights have padding to prevent scratching the paint on your tow vehicle. You put the lights on the back of the tow car and plug the wire into the wiring receptacle at the back of the RV. You can run the wires inside the Wangler so the wires don't fly in the wind. The problem with this is you have to put it on every time you want to tow the vehicle. On my CRV I removed the tail light lenses and added a bulb socket in each, ran wires under the car to the front where I added a plug to connect to the RV plug. A little time consuming but efficient and I did not have to tap into the existing CRV wiring system.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
You can get a complete Blue Ox setup from PPL for around $1100, and depending on the toad brake you select, it can be anywhere from $800 to $1500.

I would think that if you were to have a shop install everything for you, it shouldnt be ove 5 hours labor for everything.

Dennis
DennisZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #26

I just wrote a post and lost it. So, they make a kit where you can install seperate light sockets beside the originals if there is extra space available. Works seperately from the toad and gets power from MH. They should also be on their website.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I paid $860 for a Roadmaster baseplate and a light kit installed at a local trailer shop in Chino Valley, AZ. He matched CW's sale price on the baseplate. Already had the Falcon ll on the coach, it cost about $500 a couple years ago. Going to replace the BB, will have him do that also if I can decide which system to get. Adding the brake, we're still talking no more than $2500.

Glenn
Old 02-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Ouch. Posts like this make me glad I'm a confirmed DIYer...

Blue ox bumper mount hookups for wranger $52
1/4" steel plate rock crawler bumpers $140 each
Alladin tow bar, with 6 pin umbilicle, used , craigslist $300
Stay n play brake system, used, irv2 classifieds, $400
Misc stiff todo wiring hookup $100 ish
Weekend's labor, priceless.

Tags
towing