Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
 
SarahW's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a lawnchair
Posts: 11,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Ouch. Posts like this make me glad I'm a confirmed DIYer...

Blue ox bumper mount hookups for wranger $52
1/4" steel plate rock crawler bumpers $140 each
Alladin tow bar, with 6 pin umbilicle, used , craigslist $300
Stay n play brake system, used, irv2 classifieds, $400
Misc stiff todo wiring hookup $100 ish
Weekend's labor, priceless.
Ah, if only you were my next-door neighbor.
__________________

__________________
.2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
 
SarahW's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a lawnchair
Posts: 11,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
I just wrote a post and lost it. So, they make a kit where you can install seperate light sockets beside the originals if there is extra space available. Works seperately from the toad and gets power from MH. They should also be on their website.
Ah...so you're getting the light kit from ReadyBrake, too? Thanks. I need to call them and get the lowdown on everything I want/need to purchase.
__________________

__________________
.2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
My experience is that they generally charge as much or more than the dealers to avoid under cutting the dealer network.
Exactly right.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Barrier2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 378
Hi Sarah, My setup for my 2012 Wrangler JKU 4 dr is: Currie Base Plate- $250 shipped,
Ready Brute Elite (combined brake and Tow Bar)$1000 shipped, Ready Stop Break Away $100 Shipped, Light wire set up $125. Installation on Jeep 3- 4 hrs. (depends on local labor rate) all installs are not Warranty threatening on my 2012 Wrangler. Parts $1250 . Hardest part is the Base Plate and that is relatively easy some holes to drill and bolts to install and a small amount of cutting. Wires and Brake are easy set-ups.Total labor here $400
Total $1650 obviously less if you can do some not all of the work.
This is not Heavy Duty Technical kind of work. Good conscientious workers can do this. The work is done on your Jeep except for the light to let you know when the Toad brake is on. That will require your MH Any RV dealer should be able to do that under 1 hour.
The Jeep work could be done by any Jeep Dealer or Independent shop. NSA as was mentioned should be able to supply a local Mechanic.
Robert
__________________
2001 Monaco Dynasty
Barrier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
jim.smithjr's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
Posts: 211
I just had my 2012 Ford Explorer set up with the best Blue Ox stuff I could find for $2495 Cdn installed, Brake Buddy Vantage is on the way for $1495 and I had a Paint Protection Kit installed on the Explorer. That's the thick, clear, non-yellowing film that is really necessary on new water based painted vehicles (the law here in Canada, and getting popular in the USA). Water base paint is soft and never hardens so it chips easily.
__________________
Jim & Pam Smith, Saskatoon, SK, Canada
2007 Holiday Rambler 40 SKQ, 2012 Ford Explorer XLT
1966 Contl convert., 2009 Harley, 2000 Bayliner 3258
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
 
SarahW's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a lawnchair
Posts: 11,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
Hi Sarah, My setup for my 2012 Wrangler JKU 4 dr is: Currie Base Plate- $250 shipped,
Ready Brute Elite (combined brake and Tow Bar)$1000 shipped, Ready Stop Break Away $100 Shipped, Light wire set up $125. Installation on Jeep 3- 4 hrs. (depends on local labor rate) all installs are not Warranty threatening on my 2012 Wrangler. Parts $1250 . Hardest part is the Base Plate and that is relatively easy some holes to drill and bolts to install and a small amount of cutting. Wires and Brake are easy set-ups.Total labor here $400
Total $1650 obviously less if you can do some not all of the work.
This is not Heavy Duty Technical kind of work. Good conscientious workers can do this. The work is done on your Jeep except for the light to let you know when the Toad brake is on. That will require your MH Any RV dealer should be able to do that under 1 hour.
The Jeep work could be done by any Jeep Dealer or Independent shop. NSA as was mentioned should be able to supply a local Mechanic.
Robert
Thanks, Robert. So the Currie base plate is not a direct bolt-on? I guess I thought it was a Jeep add-on, so it would just fit with no adjustment necessary.

By the way...speaking of the indicator light for when the toad brakes are on, I see a wireless model on the NSA website. Did you choose the wired version or the wireless?
__________________
.2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Barrier2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 378
Hi Sarah, Prior to 2012 it did fit perfectly. They added some gussets to the Jeep in 2012 which May require some grinding to the Currie. Nothing out of the usual fitting required for any item installed on a Jeep. Drilling is also required as is the case with all base plates. The number of owners who install front base plates is very small in comparison to the number of Jeeps sold. The Currie also serves as a form of skid plate for the front suspension, lower radiator etc. it is very substantial. If you look under the Jeep, just below the bumper you will see a thin plastic part with ridges the Currie replaces that part.
Robert
__________________
2001 Monaco Dynasty
Barrier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus
 
SarahW's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a lawnchair
Posts: 11,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
Hi Sarah, Prior to 2012 it did fit perfectly. They added some gussets to the Jeep in 2012 which May require some grinding to the Currie. Nothing out of the usual fitting required for any item installed on a Jeep. Drilling is also required as is the case with all base plates. The number of owners who install front base plates is very small in comparison to the number of Jeeps sold. The Currie also serves as a form of skid plate for the front suspension, lower radiator etc. it is very substantial. If you look under the Jeep, just below the bumper you will see a thin plastic part with ridges the Currie replaces that part.
Robert
Thanks again, Robert. So does the Currie come with those clevis attachment things? Also, how does it look on the Jeep? I want the least obtrusive baseplate, if that makes sense. I appreciate the info.
__________________
.2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Barrier2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 378
Hi Sarah,
Very unobtrusive compared to others.It takes the place of the plastic part in the same place. You can see one attachment point, same on other side just next to and beneath the fog light.
Robert
Attached Thumbnails
__________________
2001 Monaco Dynasty
Barrier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus
 
SarahW's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a lawnchair
Posts: 11,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
Hi Sarah,
Very unobtrusive compared to others.It takes the place of the plastic part in the same place. You can see one attachment point, same on other side just next to and beneath the fog light.
Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Wow, thanks for that. A picture truly is worth 1,000 words.
__________________
.2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: texas
Posts: 2,268
sara check pm
__________________
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus
 
SarahW's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a lawnchair
Posts: 11,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
sara check pm
I don't see a PM from you. Didja send it?
__________________
.2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
ronspradley's Avatar


 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 1,626
I have been setting up a '98 CRV to tow. Craigs List and E-Trailer got me thru it. I already had Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000 tow bar. Got base plate and a 2" receiver hitch from Craigslist. Had to get installation kit from E-Trailer for receiver hitch and also got wiring harness with separate bulb fitting into rear brake light assembly for CRV. Installed all myself. I also use Brake Buddy that I purchased on Craigslist a couple of years ago for $300.00. I will probably be visiting brother in Houston in a couple of weeks. I would be glad to look at your set-up and assist if I can. At least I can show you what mine looks like and what I did there. Best of luck on your new install.

ronspradley
__________________
1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
 
SarahW's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a lawnchair
Posts: 11,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
I will probably be visiting brother in Houston in a couple of weeks. I would be glad to look at your set-up and assist if I can. At least I can show you what mine looks like and what I did there. Best of luck on your new install.

ronspradley
You are too kind, Ron. I appreciate your offer very much, but I would never impose. I'm sure we'll figure it out and end up doing most of the installation ourselves. Thanks again and enjoy your visit with your brother.
__________________

__________________
.2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
towing



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good News For Ford TOADs (NTK's available again) JohnQ Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 107 09-18-2017 08:14 AM
Idea for Glare on Rvnd 7710 nrc1963 Gear and Product Discussions 16 02-29-2012 06:16 PM
Towing a ford flex Mirbigfella Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 10 02-14-2012 06:48 PM
towing a 2012 Honda civic ga traveler Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 1 02-14-2012 05:22 PM
Brake system for tow dolly Jrf4865 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 4 02-14-2012 03:01 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.