Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #43

National RV Owners Club
You can get the parts costs here Trailer Hitches, Fifth Wheel, Ball Mounts, Hitch and Towing Accessories - etrailer.com figure about $1000 for a brake system and you will soon see how much he is charging for labor. My setup cost about $2200 but the base plate was only around $500. All my parts are Roadmaster.

I'd check elsewhere.

Dick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
You can get the parts costs here Trailer Hitches, Fifth Wheel, Ball Mounts, Hitch and Towing Accessories - etrailer.com figure about $1000 for a brake system and you will soon see how much he is charging for labor. My setup cost about $2200 but the base plate was only around $500. All my parts are Roadmaster.

I'd check elsewhere.

Dick
Yeah, I've already scratched him off the list. Thanks for the info.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
Hi Sarah, My setup for my 2012 Wrangler JKU 4 dr is: Currie Base Plate- $250 shipped,
Ready Brute Elite (combined brake and Tow Bar)$1000 shipped, Ready Stop Break Away $100 Shipped, Light wire set up $125. Installation on Jeep 3- 4 hrs. (depends on local labor rate) all installs are not Warranty threatening on my 2012 Wrangler. Parts $1250 . Hardest part is the Base Plate and that is relatively easy some holes to drill and bolts to install and a small amount of cutting. Wires and Brake are easy set-ups.Total labor here $400
Total $1650 obviously less if you can do some not all of the work.
This is not Heavy Duty Technical kind of work. Good conscientious workers can do this. The work is done on your Jeep except for the light to let you know when the Toad brake is on. That will require your MH Any RV dealer should be able to do that under 1 hour.
The Jeep work could be done by any Jeep Dealer or Independent shop. NSA as was mentioned should be able to supply a local Mechanic.
Robert
Thanks again, Robert. Did you buy the wiring from Ready Brake or somewhere else? We're looking at the Cool Tech wiring harness but still trying to decide which one to choose.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks again for everyone's input and a reality check!! I found an online retailer (Tow Bars Unlimited) selling the entire ReadyBrute tow bar package, including a Blue Ox baseplate and wiring, for a good price. It really pays to do the homework and a little shopping around. We will do the work ourselves and save a lot of money.

Here's the breakdown of the package deal:

RB-9050 ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar with Integrated Brake INCLUDING SHIPPING
RS-5000 Readystop Break Away
TBC Tow bar cover
BX8869 Blue Ox Tail Light Wiring Kit, Bulb & Socket
BX8862 Blue Ox 6 Wire Elect Coiled Cable, Ext
Blue Ox Base Plate
Total "package price": $1459.95

Now I can order my MagneShades with the extra money I saved!! YAY.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #47

Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like you found a system you can live with. I went the less expensive, used route when I equipped the new to me 1998 CRV. I bought a Roadmaster Towmaster 5000 adjustable tow bar on Craigslist a couple of years ago for $200.00. I re-equipped my 1985 Nissan pickup so the quick-disconnect fitting would work on that. I had been using a non-adjustable tow bar for years. Last month bought Roadmaster base plate 1528-3 to fit CRV on Craigslist for $150.00. Needed another set of quick-disconnects, found those left over from another install at Spillar Custom Hitches in Austin for $11.00. Roadmaster toad lighting (the extra bulb setup) from E-Trailer for $50.00. So I can now tow either the CRV or Nissan (at least until I get the Nissan sold). I have a Brake Buddy that I bought off Craigslist a couple of years ago for $300.00. I installed all of this myself. My setup will not be as new or convenient as yours but I will say that the expense fits my cheap profile.

Best of luck on your install and happy trails.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi again, Ron! Sounds like you went the smart route. I have found that the words "inexpensive" and "RV" do not go together, haha. Hopefully we will be keeping this moho and toad for several years and won't have to do this again for a while.

Are you still planning a trip to Houston? I hope you enjoy your visit with your family.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #49
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I know you are probably done looking, but here is a link to http://www.hitchtrader.com/

previously owned tow stuff. BTW, we have the surge brake and like it. Just be sure that the cable that goes from the front bumper then along the engine is installed correctly before going through the firewall and connecting to the brake peddle. Our installer apparently didn't secure our cable correctly where it runs along side the engine. It somehow slipped down and caught under the engine somehow causing the tow vehicle brake to be partially engaged. Burnt up pad, rotors and calipers to the tune of $1200.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #50

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Hi again, Ron! Sounds like you went the smart route. I have found that the words "inexpensive" and "RV" do not go together, haha. Hopefully we will be keeping this moho and toad for several years and won't have to do this again for a while.

Are you still planning a trip to Houston? I hope you enjoy your visit with your family.
Brother has been asking when I will make the trip to Houston. My son has been re-activated to active Navy from reserves and is in town now between training. He leaves next weekend and I probably will not get to see him again until after his return from Afghanistan. And then the next weekend I am set to make a trip to Lake Buchanan to help cut down a dead pecan grove to harvest the lumber. I am a woodworker by hobby. Then I am hoping to make it to Houston March 10th. Whew, the time constraints for an old retired man are great.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Brother has been asking when I will make the trip to Houston. My son has been re-activated to active Navy from reserves and is in town now between training. He leaves next weekend and I probably will not get to see him again until after his return from Afghanistan. And then the next weekend I am set to make a trip to Lake Buchanan to help cut down a dead pecan grove to harvest the lumber. I am a woodworker by hobby. Then I am hoping to make it to Houston March 10th. Whew, the time constraints for an old retired man are great.

ronspradley
Well I'll just say to please thank your son for his service to our country, and may God watch over him over there.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I know you are probably done looking, but here is a link to :: Hitch Trader - Pre-Owned Towing Equipment

previously owned tow stuff. BTW, we have the surge brake and like it. Just be sure that the cable that goes from the front bumper then along the engine is installed correctly before going through the firewall and connecting to the brake peddle. Our installer apparently didn't secure our cable correctly where it runs along side the engine. It somehow slipped down and caught under the engine somehow causing the tow vehicle brake to be partially engaged. Burnt up pad, rotors and calipers to the tune of $1200.
Thanks! Some of the installation horror stories I've read are one reason my hubby decided to do it himself!

Wow, $1200! What a bummer.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #53
RVM64/RVillageAmbassador

Enjoy your jeep.... I am zeelarry's DW.... Got the dark cherry red jeep wrangler and loving it
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
Enjoy your jeep.... I am zeelarry's DW.... Got the dark cherry red jeep wrangler and loving it
Hi Diane! Our Wrangler is black (gotta coordinate with the moho, ya know ) and we love it! The dark cherry color is gorgeous.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #55

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Now I can order my MagneShades with the extra money I saved!! YAY.
I keep telling my wife how much I saved us each time I fix something myself, so far I still don't have the Foretravel or Newell! May have to settle for another Dutch Star
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #56
RVM64/RVillageAmbassador

Our mo ho is the taupe, black, with the burgundy (black cherry color), So coordinate, Yes.... Do love it.....

Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing