Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
AS said before....

There is NO connection between the MH brakelights and the evenbrake..

NONE Evenbrake works on a accelerometer only....

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #16

That is not always the case. Some TOAD's require that the wire from the Even Brake be connected to the cold side of it's brake switch.

If that TOAD's brake lights are illuminated by the wire from the Even Brake when the Even Brake applies the brakes and the TOAD's brake lights are directly connected to the MH brake lights, there is a possible direct connection between the TOAD and the MH through the circuitry of the Even Brake.
My question was if it is possible a Pac Brake actuated MH brake light, which illuminates the TOAD brake lights, could be causing the Even Brake to actuate.

I am aware the Even Brake operates on signal from an accelerometer.

rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, getting ready to leave Beverly Beach Fl. this morning. EvenBrake won't test successful. Every time I tested, it would push the brakes down one time good, second time it would hold the pedal down for a long time then turn on the problem light. Guess I will call Roadmaster when I get home. Having to drive home with no toad brakes. Will post later whenI get an answer.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
Question:
Although my Edge doesn't, some TOADs require the Even Brake to be connected to the TOAD's brake switch (as explained by Wizard). If, in that type of installation, the TOAD's brake lights are also connected to the MH so they illuminate with the MH's brake lights, is it possible there be some kind of feedback to the Even Brake, making it actuate the TOAD's brakes also?

If so, if the MH's brake lights illuminate with a Pac Brake, I can see a TOAD's brakes being applied when the Pac Brake causes the MH's brake lights to illuminate.

This is only an easily understood question, not any sort of alert or facetious comment.
This is exactly what happened to me. The MH brake lights came on when I used the Pacbrake on long grades which in turn fed back through the Evenbrake control unit thus applying the toad brakes. The bad part was I was never alerted by the "brake applied" light on the console. So it cost me new rotors and pads on a new truck so I junked it and purchased an M&G brake which is foolproof and hooks up in 5 seconds
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #19

Wizard,
I also had similar problems and is why I did a little creative wiring to get rid of the cigarette lighter type plug and install a switch in a fused line directly from the Edge's battery. There is also a direct line from the Alpine's battery through a Toad Charge to the Edge's battery. No real chance of running the Edge's battery down with that.

Suggestion: Try unplugging the Even Brake and going through the startup procedure again.

Bob,
I did not like the Alpine's lights going to the Edge's tail/brake lights and made a totally independent auxiliary light bar that is installed at the rear of the Edge. The only time the Edge's brake lights illuminate is when the Even Brake actuates the brakes. If I must drive at night, I simply turn on the Edge's parking lights to get the side markers.

With all the fools on the road you just can't have too many lights on a TOAD.

I've been at this for a while and have had problems with diodes and converters for separate lights going to single lights (and vice-versa).
Old 11-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #20
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
This is just an inquiring minds question but are most of you running a dedicated line (plug in) for the Even Brake or Pro Brake on your tow vehicle? When I hooked my Pro Brake up on my Suzuki Grand Vitara it would do strange things while being towed. I called Roadmaster and found out that the wiring on the Grand Vitara was to small (most plug outlets on foreign vehicle run 20-22 gauge wire) I ran 2-12 gauge wires (over kill) from the battery, fused to the inside and mounted a new 12 v. plug. This helped for awhile, but now something else is wrong with the Brake Pro unit. I've had it replaced once before from Roadmaster. Personally I don't think Roadmaster has perfected either unit, but that's only my opinion.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
According to the EvenBrake installation manual if you have your toad wired to your RV light system (Brakes lights, Side markers and turn signals), depending on the type of toad lighting system you have, you may be required to install a "brake-lite relay". I can only guess by the way it is wired that its purpose is prevent conflicts between toads normal brake lighting system and the towing vehicle lighting system. There is quite an elaborate check list to determine if a brake-lite relay is required then how to wire up the ICX transmitter, it is Step 2 of the installation procedure.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #22

Bubblehead,
You are exactly right, which is why I chose to make a dedicated and independent lighting system and hard-wire the Even Brake with a high current socket directly through a fuse from the battery. It also eliminates any possibility of reverse current to the Even Brake.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #23

Bob - in our Escape the Even Brake is attached to the brake switch (test drive coming this week) so I have gone to wireless tow lights to avoid all the feedback issues.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #24

Wanderlust2,
I think that's a wise decision. I've had thoughts of short circuits burning up the circuits for the MH and/or Toad if the umbilical chafes.

I believe the brake lights of all Ford cars illuminate when the pedal is depressed. If so, the Even Brake will activate the Escape's brake lights regardless of whether the wire is connected to the switch or not and you won't need that connection. Separate tow lights will address the other lighting issues.

You may also want to consider running a fused 14-gage wire from the battery to an aftermarket cigarette lighter socket for the Even Brake. I personally don't like them for the Even Brake because the spring-loaded Even Brake plug can push itself out far enough to break the contact, (which is why I ran the power circuit through a 6-conductor trailer plug and socket system).

Also, in many cases, unless the car is equipped for a Smoker's cigarette lighter, the OEM socket is often fused/wired for low current and primarily used as a "Power port" for electronic gizmos. As the Even Brake requires more current than a Cell phone charger or GPS, you should probably check that.

FWIW, I have drawings of the circuits I installed to the Edge if they're of any interest to you.

Good luck,

Bob
Old 11-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #25

Bob,

I am surprised that you are towing an Escape. I was told by several Ford dealers that the escape can't be towed! I would like to change tow vehicles to an Escape, but wasn't aware that they can be towed. What has to be done to it to make it towable?

Thanks in advance,

Bernie
Old 11-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvtaylor View Post
We have an even brake system by roadmaster in our Saturn. After a few hours of use, I get a signal on the dash that the battery is low. All i have to do is start the car and let it run a short time and the brake system warning goes out. I know the car battery is good. Is anyone else having the same problem.
I also have an older model Saturn 2000 and you must pull a 30amp fuse under hood or battery could begin to run down. this fuse on mine operates radio,heater controls, power door locks & security system. if I recall correctly Even Brake will shut down before battery goes dead.
remember that your brake lights are draining the battery whenever Even Brake is activated.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:44 PM   #27

I tow a 2002 VW Niew Beetle and use the Evenbrake unit and have encountered a few problems. The battery drain issue came up but I start the VW at a rest stop and let it run for a bit and it charges up ok. The other problem is altitude. My first unit would not test in Flagstaff at 7200 ft above sea level. Called tech and they gave me some directions but they did not work. Exchanged the unit at Camping World. Later in the year we went back to Flagstaff and it worked ok at 7200 ft.

In July we went up to Estes Park (7450 ft) and the 2nd unit that worked at 7200 ft now failed to test at 7450 ft.

Come to find out I'm not the only one with altitude problems and Roadmaster has modified their programming on their newer units to operate at higher altitudes.

I don't think much of their tech support (1 guy) and would not buy another one. Other then that it operates fine at lower altitudes and have not have had any other problems.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Wondering about the altitude issue? My Evenbrake has always worked fine till now. Currently in Santa Fe and it will not complete a test. Goes through 2 cycles and then stops. Won't complete the 3rd cycle. Anyone have any answers?