Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
ever have a flat tire on a tow dolly?

We had a tow dolly tire blow out while driving down the Interstate and we didn't know it at the time. We were towing a car on the Master Tow dolly behind our MH and had the rear view camera on. But, there was a shadow across part of the car. The dolly/car was tracking fine, it seemed.
But, 2 cars that passed us tried to tell us something as they went by. So, we pulled over to see what they noticed. The curbside tire was shredded and that dolly wheel was running on the pavement. The tire tore up the plastic fender also.
So, I took the car down from the dolly, jacked the dolly up, changed the tire, reloaded the car and we went on. (no big deal)
But, we were REALLY surprised that we didn't know that the tire has blown.
Have you ever experienced this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
We had a tow dolly tire blow out while driving down the Interstate and we didn't know it at the time. We were towing a car on the Master Tow dolly behind our MH and had the rear view camera on. But, there was a shadow across part of the car. The dolly/car was tracking fine, it seemed.
But, 2 cars that passed us tried to tell us something as they went by. So, we pulled over to see what they noticed. The curbside tire was shredded and that dolly wheel was running on the pavement. The tire tore up the plastic fender also.
So, I took the car down from the dolly, jacked the dolly up, changed the tire, reloaded the car and we went on. (no big deal)
I haven't experienced this, but have heard horror stories. Thats why we purchased a tire monitoring system. tsttruck.com

nwcanopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our first MH trip nine years ago we got the same waves from people. Gee we thought, how nice.

Then it dawned on me to pull over. I found our surge brake system had been choaking up on the cable and slowly applying the brakes----no wat to tell the extra cable was being pushed under the coach-----really smoked a set of brakes on our Saturn. New brakes new tow device; but i learned it is just hard to tell what is going on back there.

In your case a TPMS system would alert you to the problem.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #4

It's not just toads that can do that - years ago had a blowout on our 5er, and didn't know it untill passing drivers alerted me...

That tire monitoring system sounds like a great item...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Yes, a tire monitor system would be helpful, but we still would have had the flat. And, maybe we will spend $500 for the ten tire system, plus another $60 for the repeat monitor. But, that's sure not a top spending priority right now.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
I found our surge brake system had been choaking up on the cable and slowly applying the brakes----no wat to tell the extra cable was being pushed under the coach
It is very easy to install a toad brake monitor light in the dash of the motor home. One end connected to the bulb and the other end connected through the umbilical cord to the stop light switch in the toad.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
It is very easy to install a toad brake monitor light in the dash of the motor home. One end connected to the bulb and the other end connected through the umbilical cord to the stop light switch in the toad.
For surge brake users that are not otherwise equipt that is a great idea.

Wasn't that smart nine years ago---not that I am any smarter but I did learn a lttle about tow brakes.

I have one now (dash light)---live and learn,new brake system as well.

Great suggestion. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Yes, a tire monitor system would be helpful, but we still would have had the flat. And, maybe we will spend $500 for the ten tire system, plus another $60 for the repeat monitor. But, that's sure not a top spending priority right now.

As POGO would say: "I have seen the enemy and he is us" (I assume your avatar name is paying homage to my favorite possum)

JUst bought new tires for the MH and the tow and replaced our washer and dryer-------whew!!

I don't have a TPMS either but it is on the list, a very long list. Maybe by the time we leave for winter---baring emergencies.

I understand completly.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another reason I keep the CB radio on with the squelch set high.

I had a friend that was notified by a friendly trucker "hey good buddy driving that there fancy rig, you just had a blowout on the right rear of that there car you're dragging".
Old 10-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #10

www.tsttruck.com 's tire monitoring system has worked well for us. We are sending one of the tire sensors back as it died, but they warranty them for 2-3 years. We too purchased the Additional repeater. We set up our system and realized we didn't need it. Sent it back for a full refund. Good people to deal with... but one of the guys is a Jerk. He lied to me a few times. talk to the girl there, she will take care of you.

dont be this guy

You can't cure stupid - RV drags Pickup 6 miles - YouTube
nwcanopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
a rock put a hole in the sidewall of the drivers side tire on my stehl dolly at crater lake np last summer. we have a backup camera and i can see both dolly tires in my mirrors. i had a spare but it was a pita to change.
i have 6 tst's on my moho, but none on the dolly or toad.
another or maybe the same rock took my lr hwh jack springs and foot off at the same time. i didn't know about the jack until later that evening when i got ready to level the moho 50 miles down the road. we drove the toad back to crater lake the next day but never did find the jack springs or foot.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Had a similar experience about 6 years ago. It was on the 4th of July weekend on I 90 near the Wisconsin Dells. Traffic was bumper to bumper buzzing along at 70+ mph. Fortunately I heard a loud bang. When I turned on the camera I could see the left tire on the dolly had blown out. It took a few tense minutes to unload the car and change the tire but all turned out well. At the time I was more concerned about being hit by an inattentive driver than the damage it might have caused to the dolly. No other damage to the dolly, the car, or me.

Tags
dolly