Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
xctraveler's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rochester NY - off the road for a bit
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I use a 10" drop down receiver , so this quote got my attention. I called Blue OX this morning and spoke to Paul 800-228-9289 and he said " that was just not so "

Cliff
Mine was RoadMaster and it extended the length of the tow by more than a foot. Not sure what RM would say, but several knowledgeable people made the statement and the 2" solid steel square bar DID bend! and the welds on the receiver DID crack! and the tow'd was an '05 RAV4 weighed 3,200 lbs and had nothing stored in it.
__________________

__________________
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Read my blog at http://xctraveler.blogspot.com/ AKA RVM86
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #44
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by xctraveler View Post

Mine was RoadMaster and it extended the length of the tow by more than a foot. Not sure what RM would say, but several knowledgeable people made the statement and the 2" solid steel square bar DID bend! and the welds on the receiver DID crack! and the tow'd was an '05 RAV4 weighed 3,200 lbs and had nothing stored in it.
Not sure I understand your point. There are tens of thousands ( my guess ) using a drop down receiver. I'm sure a few like you have experienced the damage you had however there have been cases where damage such as yours happened on set ups without a drop down receiver.
Cliff
__________________

__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

But you asked about only 260 pounds. that's roughly 5% over... I can not advise you to exceed the manufacturer's rating, but ... Well...... it's only 5%.

But, heaven forbid you are in a serious accident,, A sharp police officer might just have your rig weighed (I have heard of it happening) and .. Well, over is over, even one pound.
Interesting. If exceeding CGVWR isn't illegal, why would an officer have an RV weighed after an accident? Is it just to speculate as to what contributed to the accident?

Rick
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
If 5,250 lbs is unsafe, why is 5,000 lbs magically safe? Or, is 4,750 lbs really safe for that matter?
Now that is a good question, I'd like to think that if the hitch is rated at 5,000 it's tested to at least 6,000 if not 10,000 (I know of some products where the standard is to test them at 2x their ratings)

But the answer, is that it does not, There is only one thing magical about that magic number.

If your towed weight EXCEEDS the hitch rating, or your Combined Vehicle Weight exceeds the CGVW rating of the motor home, and you get in an accident, and the rig gets scaled.. You in big trouble dude. Don't matter if it's safe or not, You in big trouble dude. An example.. Your insurance may say "Overweight, we are not going to pay" and you may be cited for overweight or sued for endangerment.

IF on the other hand the scale shows the weights to be equal or less than the ratings, You may (or may not depending on other factors) be in trouble, but not nearly as big.
__________________
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #47
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Slinger, WI
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Now that is a good question, I'd like to think that if the hitch is rated at 5,000 it's tested to at least 6,000 if not 10,000 (I know of some products where the standard is to test them at 2x their ratings)

But the answer, is that it does not, There is only one thing magical about that magic number.

If your towed weight EXCEEDS the hitch rating, or your Combined Vehicle Weight exceeds the CGVW rating of the motor home, and you get in an accident, and the rig gets scaled.. You in big trouble dude. Don't matter if it's safe or not, You in big trouble dude. An example.. Your insurance may say "Overweight, we are not going to pay" and you may be cited for overweight or sued for endangerment.

IF on the other hand the scale shows the weights to be equal or less than the ratings, You may (or may not depending on other factors) be in trouble, but not nearly as big.
Please provide some links to actual examples of insurance companies not paying due to being overweight. Otherwise, it looks like more "sky is falling".

If insurance companies would routinely deny coverage because you were not 100% legal than a heck of a lot of accidents would not be covered due to someone speeding.
__________________
bmacrc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
xctraveler's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rochester NY - off the road for a bit
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Not sure I understand your point. There are tens of thousands ( my guess ) using a drop down receiver. I'm sure a few like you have experienced the damage you had however there have been cases where damage such as yours happened on set ups without a drop down receiver.
Cliff
I agree in general. However the Roadmaster design incorporates a long "stinger" which extends the tow by over a foot which increases the forces on the entire connection from the receiver to the car as opposed to the Blue Ox in which the drop is very close to the receiver and does not add any significant length to the tow. Length of tow impacts the leverage of the car on the system.

Just a warning to people who want to use their entire rating for a tow. In my case, although I was well within the rating for the receiver and drop and tow I nearly had a disaster because no one suggested that I derate my receiver because of the extension, least of all RoadMaster. I doubt I would even be commenting had I had a Blue Ox drop hitch.
__________________
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Read my blog at http://xctraveler.blogspot.com/ AKA RVM86
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Mixmanbob's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Packwood, WA
Posts: 120
I left a lot of info out. Sorry. the W22's GVWR is 22,000. The GVCW is 26000. It has a 5000 # rated hitch. My Blue Ox is rated for 5000#. I have a extension tube rated at 10,000#. I use a 3" drop that is rated at 7500#. The Dakota weighs 4900, full of fuel. I estimate a road weight of 20,500 + 4900 Toad = 25,400# with no componet over it's rated capicity. I will use supplemental braking on the toad. I think I don't exceed any rating and should be OK.
__________________
Mixmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Posts: 1,259
What about passengers, luggage, storage, water and fuel on the rv. Doesn't that get included in gvcw?
__________________

__________________
Rick and Julia
2005 Dolphin 5376, W24, Solid Body Paint, Koni FSD's
2007 Wrangler Unlimited....it follows us everywhere.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.