Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #1

Experience w/ Drive Shaft Disconnect???

Greetings! I am contemplating the use of a drive shaft disconnect in order to be able to tow a new Tacoma 4x4 with automatic transmission. I would be most appreciative of comments from current or former users of a drive shaft disconnect on any vehicle - or anyone that has witnessed their use, good or bad. THANK YOU! Jeff 1997 Eagle

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our friends tow a Tacoma with the drive shaft disconnect and they are happy with it.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed one on my 1993 Explorer Sport when new and still use it as my toad. Keep it cleaned and lubricated and they work fine.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Two friends in a former RV club had disconnects, both of them failed and caused a transmission failure. Never did find out exactly what happened other than when the arrived the trans was toasted.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #5

I have a drive shaft disconnect on my 10 Frontier and have had no problems with it. It's simple to operate and works as advertised. Can't ask for more than that.
Doc
09 Camelot
Old 09-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Installed mine on my 4x4 auto 4Runner over 70,000 miles and still going...
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I too have been researching this for my 2008 Ford Expedition EL and have read many a good things and more than a few bad things.

It seems they are a bit cumbersome to get final adjustment on if doing the install yourself. But once properly aligned it seems the majority of issues stem from lack of lube and/or use.

I have also read that the company that REMCO sold the designs too have done some retooling of the parts since January 2012.

Good luck and I will let everyone know how my install goes next month. I am planning on doing it myself. Haven't decided about the tow bar and brake install yet.
"The Dutch Oven AdventuresII"
ensiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #8

Skip

I was also planning to do everything myself to save money. I had a local automotive shop in Miami order a Remco disconnect for my '03 Yukon 2WD on April 30th, as well as an Air Force One braking system. Ended up returning the AF1 system (too complicated), went to a specialty towing shop in Ft Ldl for the Blue Ox base plate, M&G braking system and tail light wiring/diodes installed. Best decision I ever made. Left Miami on July 1 after crawling underneath the toad (in the rain) to disconnect the driveshaft. What a pain.

Here I am in Minnesota and just received on Friday the Remco driveshaft/coupling and basket from Superflow in Des Moines. Seems that Hitch Source never ordered the parts from Superflow, even though they had been paid with the order. They continually lied and provided misinformation to the shop in Miami until mid August. Superflow needs accurate information on your existing driveshaft, because they provide a replacement driveshaft with a splined coupling attached. Everything looks great, appears to be of high quality and balanced at both ends. I am having one of their experienced dealers install it this week for $395. Discretion is always the better part of valor...

Dennis
Old 09-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #9

I have a Remco drive line disconnect on my 2002 Toyota Tacoma 2wd with automatic transmission. I installed it myself when the Tacoma was new. I now have 80,000 driven miles and 35,000 towed miles on it. It has worked flawlessly. I spray the mechanism with silicone spray every once and a while.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
Greetings! I would be most appreciative of comments from current or former users of a drive shaft disconnect on any vehicle - or anyone that has witnessed their use, good or bad. THANK YOU! Jeff 1997 Eagle
We been towing our 2x4 Toyota FJ Cruiser for 2+ yrs. I purchased the Remco coupler and shifter directly from Remco. We had a local drive shaft co that was very familar at building drive shafts with the coupler, build a completely new shaft($250). I installed the shifter and the shaft. Works great!

When we sell the vehicle, I'll easily remove the shifter and install the original shaft.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #11

I am far from an expert, and also do not pull a Toad (and so am watching and learning...). Considering the complexity and modifcations cars and trucks tend to require to pull, maybe it is easier to just get a flat bed trailer to haul the car on? At least then you could back up.

What am I missing?

Respectfully
Rick
Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rludtke View Post
What am I missing?
Rick,

Some of the issues I can see or have read about are:
  • Having to store the trailer when not in use both while traveling (at a campground) and when home.
  • Another piece of equipment to maintain.
  • Another registration (and insurance depending on what State it is tagged in).
  • Loading and unloading the trailer.
  • Strapping the load down properly on the trailer.
  • Weight issues for the motorhome pulling it.

Now if I had my dream setup it would be a DP with an enclosed car trailer large enough to have a motorcycle, golf cart and other toys.
"The Dutch Oven AdventuresII"
ensiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #13

I suggest that a tilt bed trailer whould be easy to load and unload any automobile, would allow you to back out of campsites, would allow you to buy/sell any vehicle, and not modify, and prevent the vehicle from accumilating miles. I also suggest that such a trailer would maintain its value, as it will always have a resale market among equipment operators.
A trailer would cost several thousand dollars used, and more new, but I bet the vehicle mods aren't cheap.
The trailer weigjht would count count against your towing capacity. Interesting trade study...
Cheers,
Rick
Old 09-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I have had one on my Tundra since new. A little simple green to clean it and some silicon spray to lube it once in a while and it has worked great for more than 90,000 miles. I always tow with the tranny in park and visually verify the disconnect is disconnected.

Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote