Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2005, 02:02 PM   #1

We have an '02 Ranger Edge 4x4 with the Remco driveshaft disconnect system installed last Nov. by a so-called 'professional' who gave us totally wrong instructions on how to use it and the Brake Buddy we had installed at the same time (like "be sure it is in Park when you are towing"). We thought that didn't sound right so we read the directions, thankfully. But that explains why we would not take it back to such an idiot. We have had trouble with it every time we use it (which has only been 4 or 5 times), necessitating crawling under to bungie cord the driveshaft in place, certainly not an ideal solution. We took it to a reputable dealer who had experience with this system for repair, which was inexpensive, but it did the same thing again on our next trip. The cable becomes disconnected. We met another guy with the same setup as ours on a Nissan pickup at a Flying J. He said he has had the same problem since day one, and has just resigned to getting under it to connect or disconnect. He is the only other person we have spoken to who has this setup.

Is there anyone out there who uses this setup as it was intended? Would really appreciate feedback from anyone with experience. Thanks.

Lois & John
'02 Alpine 38FDDS. '02 Ranger toad

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2005, 02:02 PM   #2

We have an '02 Ranger Edge 4x4 with the Remco driveshaft disconnect system installed last Nov. by a so-called 'professional' who gave us totally wrong instructions on how to use it and the Brake Buddy we had installed at the same time (like "be sure it is in Park when you are towing"). We thought that didn't sound right so we read the directions, thankfully. But that explains why we would not take it back to such an idiot. We have had trouble with it every time we use it (which has only been 4 or 5 times), necessitating crawling under to bungie cord the driveshaft in place, certainly not an ideal solution. We took it to a reputable dealer who had experience with this system for repair, which was inexpensive, but it did the same thing again on our next trip. The cable becomes disconnected. We met another guy with the same setup as ours on a Nissan pickup at a Flying J. He said he has had the same problem since day one, and has just resigned to getting under it to connect or disconnect. He is the only other person we have spoken to who has this setup.

Is there anyone out there who uses this setup as it was intended? Would really appreciate feedback from anyone with experience. Thanks.

Lois & John
'02 Alpine 38FDDS. '02 Ranger toad

Old 09-13-2005, 02:53 AM   #3

I towed a Ford Explorer (95) for over 50,000 miles. Wish I could say no problems , but yes I did have problems. It was caused by improper installation. At this point I would call Remco and get their opinion. After I found the right person to set it up, I had no more problems. I live on a dirt road and they use Chloride for dust control, so I was using a lot of lube sprayed on the system. That was not a Remco problem. Give Remco a call. They are interested in the integrity of their system.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:14 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've installed two Remco Driveshaft disconnects on two different vehicles. Both vehicles were two-wheel drive, not 4X4's. One was a 5-speed manual transmission, and the second a 4-speed automatic. I've never had any problems with either of them. The manual transmission stated the transmission should be in Neutral and the automatic should be put into Park. I've followed Remco's statements to a 'tee and never had a problem. I usually don't put any lubrication on the mechanism under the vehicle. It's only gotten dusty and/or muddy a couple of times. When this happens I wash it off with a hose and blow it dry with compressed air. Again, no problems with it.

Bob Bowers
'04 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
'04 Chevrolet Colorado PU (Tow Vehicle)
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 05:11 PM   #5

We have the remco on our 05 Tacoma. Had it installed at Remco. Of course you tow it in Park. Why not ? The tranny is disconnected from the drive shaft. Have used ours for 8000 miles and so far is ok. One tip the installer gave me for connecting: Start the engine, put in drive while having your fingers on the handle ready to push, move quickly from drive to neutral while pushing on cable handle. Might grind a little but installer says this is ok and normal. To disconnect i simply put in Neutral and pull, then PUT IN PARK
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #6

We moved our remco from a 93 to a 95 2wd Blazer. We tow in Park with no problems in 40K miles. One addendum to how to reconnect that works really well for us. We start the car in neutral, let the tach rev up to idle, around 15k with the driveshaft disconnected. Then cut the car off and as the RPMs drop, push the cable in, usually around 700 to 800 RPM. No grinding or clashing, just a solid clunk as the driveshaft engages. A tech at Remco told us how to do this and it has workd well for 5 years.
Goodluck,
SeaRay
Old 10-16-2005, 09:28 PM   #7

I tow a 2002 F150 SuperCrew behind my 36' M/H. I had a Remco drive shaft disconnect installed and it worked fine for the first trip or two (2wd). Then the cable connected to the disconnect came loose. I contacted Remco and they sent me another cable (at their expense) which was considerably larger than the first and I have not had any problems with the new cable. I have had the "connecting pin" shear, which I have replaced with a "grade 8" bolt and have had no other problems in that area. I have pulled my F150 for 15000 miles and these two problems where learning experiences, but it sure beats the "dolly"! Good luck!
retired2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:54 AM   #8

Why are you using a disconnect on a 4X4? Why not put the transfer case in nuetral?
Old 11-03-2005, 05:40 PM   #9

I had a Remco quick disconnect installed on my 92 Ford Explorer 4x4 in 1999 and have hauled the car approx. 20,000 miles, the only problem I ever had is the linkage dries up and is hard to engage, so I have to spray it with WD40 and that's all it takes, and yes I tow with transmission in Park and key on partway in the ignition to release the steering.

Hope this helps: