Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #15
The OP asked for feedback on Tandem Tow Dollys. I had one and they have their pro’s and con’s. They are great for hauling the toy and toad and once unloaded at the camp ground they do not take up as much room as a full sized trailer. I was able to store mine on the edge of the campsite with no issues. The overall length of a tandem tow dolly with a toad will not be much different than the overall length of a trailer that has room for the same golf cart and toad, unless you get one that can store one on top of the other.

I did manage to find one used that could haul a golf cart, but my intent was to haul a 800 lb Yamaha Royal Star. Easy enough to fix, move one of the wheel tracks to a center position for the bike and load her up. But loading the bike was a two person operation. One person to hold the bike upright while the other attached the various straps to keep it upright and in place. Same with the unload process. However a golf cart can stand upright on its own so this would not be much of an issue.

And then there was the toad. I was using a 2008 Honda Accord. It loaded easy and getting the straps over the wheels was only a minor challenge due to the limited space around the wheels. Once loaded it tracked with no problems. My issue was the unloading. The plastic underbody skirt in front of the wheel on the Accord interfered with the opening of the ratchet used to tighten the hold down straps that went over the wheel. I could not open the ratchet fully, which is normally required to release the ratchet. So I had to fight with the ratchet release mechanism to get it to release a little at a time. A great opportunity to get bruised and cut knuckles if you don’t wear gloves and to “focus” your outlook on life in general.

Speaking of loading and unloading, you have to factor in what you need to do before you can park the RV for the night. If it is a pull through spot with room, then there are no issues. But if you have to back the RV in then you need to unload the toad, then the bike or cart and then unhook the tow dolly and then figure out where to store them all!

Keep in mind the weight of the golf cart will be between the tow dolly axle and the trailer hitch. The toad is positioned behind the tow dolly axle and acts like a counter balance for the golf cart weight. The location of the toad wheel carrier is adjustable front to rear to account for the weight of the toad and golf cart and the resulting pin weight on the trailer hitch. The point is you would not want to leave the weight of the golf cart on the front of the tow dolly and try to unhitch it from the RV, or move it if you could unhook it. And once you have the tow dolly unloaded and unhitched, how do you maneuver it? I had a Trailer Dolly from Harbor Freight that worked great for moving an empty tow dolly.

The Tandem Tow Dolly I had was one of the original models. It did not have any brakes on it. I was not comfortable towing this load without trailer brakes and only did it a few times. I was looking into adding the brakes but ended up selling the unit and moving up to a 2013 F150 4X4 with a Rampage motorcycle lift. Life is so much easier now. I can pull into a campground, unhook two pins on the tow bar and the two safety chains and the electrical connection and I am done, unless I want to use the bike, and that is not much harder to do.

I will say that even though the Tandem Tow Dolly I had was used, and one of the original models according to Race City Products, it was a well built unit. Other than minor rust from scratched paint and some dents in the wheel track ends from a previous owner, it was a solid as a rock with no signs of wear to the mechanical parts. If it fits your lifestyle I would not hesitate to recommend you buy one. Just make sure it has the trailer brakes or be ready to add them.

One other item to mention. The Tandem Tow Dolly unit was wide. It has to be to load a toad between the wheels. I have a Class A diesel unit and I could see both tow dolly wheel fenders in my mirrows. This is not a bad thing. Just something to mention.

Redick & Peggy + 1 dog & 1 cat
2007 DSDP 4035
99 Yamaha Royal Star & 13 F150 SCAB
Redman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tow Dolly

Well after considering all factors involved to include price, we decided on the Kar Kaddy SS. It folds up so keeping it next to the coach during camping should not be an issue. It requires very little time to deploy, hook up, and load. It saved us the cost of buying the golf cart and it was half the cost of the Tandem Tow Dolly. Although we will not have the ability to bring a golf cart we figured many campgrounds rent them as well if we find a need.
Thank you all for your thoughts and advice.

Travel safe!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131207_103739 (500x375).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	51622   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131207_103836 (500x375).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	51623  

Click image for larger version