Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
RTinVa's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 316
Experienced with the "Tandem Tow Dolly"?

Ok, my wife and I are newbees to the Class A DP. We just picked up a 2014 Fleetwood 38B and would like to bring along our Acura TSX and a golf cart. I have spoken to the manufacturer in NC of the "Tandem Tow Dolly". Apparently they are the only people that make them. They have distributors up north in NY, Texas, and Florida (RaceCityRV and BestPriceTrailers) and possibly others. This dolly looks like it will do exactly what we want but the cost of this is crazy high for what we are getting (around base of $6400.00-$8500.00 for the 6x8 deck with few extras).
Are there other options where I will not have to install a lift and modify the coach? I do not have a full size truck bed to tow 4 down with the cart in the back.
If this is the only manufacturer of this item, why? Would it be the patent that prevents others from making something similar that would drive the price to a more reasonable level?
I am looking to hear from anyone with personal experience with this model or make. Looking to buy in the Spring. Used and in good shape are very difficult to find and always sold before I get there.
I also considered a flat bed or box car trailer as some are even cheaper than the Tandem Tow Dolly. I like the dolly because it is lighter and I am hoping not to incur any storage fees at CGs if possible. I also wasn't sure what length I would need in either of these two options and did not want to feel like I was pulling a train behind me. My coach has a 360 hp. Is that enough to manage anything I decide on?
Lots of questions I know buy I do not want to "take a road today and wish months later that I took another route" later.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for your feedback.
__________________

__________________
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,289
Well Sir,
One of the first things you need to do is, weigh your coach, as it will be loaded and ready to hit the road. That means, full of fuel, water, equipment, people etc. so that you get an accurate weight. Then, take that weight, and subtract it from your GCWR so that you'll know EXACTLY what you're dealing with in terms of just how much you have left that you can apply to towing weight.

Then, weigh your Accura. Then, weigh your golf cart. Now, once you have all those weights, you can now begin a search for a possible trailer or, dolly or what ever system you decide on that will work for you. You're engine, a 360 HP Diesel should do just fine. You're not going to win any drag races with it, with all that hooked up but, that's not your intent anyway.

You're asking a lot when you say you don't want to incur any camp ground storage fees while traveling. About 99.9999% of the campgrounds out there are limited in space and, will charge for whatever EXTRA space you utilized for your components while visiting at their campground. That is of course if you cannot find a Pull-through that will accommodate that total length. Such a place is, Elkhorn Ridge RV Resort in Spearfish SD. What a fantastic place. They have about a hundred, 75' pull through spots that are all very nice and well manicured.

Anyway, a dolly for your application is, well not very well suited. That's a seriously long dolly. You'd be way better off with an aluminum trailer. They're expensive but, can haul the weight without being an extreme amount of weight themselves. And, the really good point, YOU CAN BACK THEM UP, AT ANY TIME YOU WISH! As for you not wanting to be very long, well Sir, again, you're asking for the moon. You want to bring along your toad and toys but, you don't want to be too long. Hmmmmm, that's a good one.

Your coach is a given, your toad is a given, the golf cart is as wide as it is, PERIOD! So, whether you find a dolly that will accommodate all that mess or, a trailer, you're going to end up with a certain length. This is not meant to be durogative, just stating facts. I'm looking at it from my point of view. I've hauled a 900 lb. Honda Goldwing on the back of our coach and towed different toads at the same time. There are lift makers out there that can accommodate the Golf cart but, you say you don't want a lift. I can understand that. I did it, I had no trouble with that system what so ever. But that's me.

If you prefer not to have a lift, that's fine. You'll then have to find either a dolly or trailer. I'm not sure but, I think the average golf cart is around 1000 lbs, plus or minus, I'm just guessing here. As far as your Acura is concerned, I'm guessing around maybe, 4,000 plus, don't know those that well. But, again, I'd get ACTUAL WEIGHTS and not take what you read in the Dinghy Towing Guides as gospel. They're wrong most of the time. And, they're wrong on the LOW SIDE. So, hope some of this helps.
Scott
__________________

__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
RTinVa's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 316
Tandem Tow Dolly advice

Got it Scott. I realize the rig, dolly with cart is going to be long. I suppose it would have been better if I said minimize the length as much as possible. I am not ignorant of the facts regarding combined length. I understand and am well aware of the total weight given all rigging and attached vehicles. I am also familiar with GVWRs. Guess I should have included the fact I pulled a 36 foot fifth wheel previously and I am familiar with length and combined limits. I guess I would have been better asking in general the thoughts or experiences of the 360 hp with the intended pulled items as stated or alike.
I will take your suggestions and do the math as needed as I understood it even before reading your reply. Thanks for the facts you provided in your response. I am sure some of the readers will find some of it helpful. Have a nice day Sir.
__________________
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 615
Why not just get an aluminum open or enclosed trailer. Their price is crazy. Your resale value will likely be better and you will be able to back it up.
__________________
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
RTinVa's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 316
Closed or Aluminum Open Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Why not just get an aluminum open or enclosed trailer. Their price is crazy. Your resale value will likely be better and you will be able to back it up.
Thanks az99 for your recommendations. I will certainly look into the two as viable and practical options. I agree that if a trailer, I would prefer a enclosed car trailer. I am just not sure about it yet and will take all friendly advice in consideration. Thank you for your input. Safe travels.
__________________
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Francesca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Hadlock, Washington
Posts: 2,855
No real dog in this hunt, but the first thing I thought when I looked at that "Tandem Tow Dolly" was... couldn't one just modify just about any flatbed trailer to do the same thing that very expensive "specialized trailer" does???
__________________
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,061
I dolly tow (works great) and if I didn't have a Class A Toy Hauler, I would use a Tandem Dolly.

But, there is more than one horse in the race...see:
Tandem Tow Dolly
RV Tow Dolly | Haul your cars, trucks, Golf Carts, ATVs & motorcycles. now Tandem Tow Dolly

and for the quote you mention, I bet Landgrebe would make one for you:
Landgrebe Manufacturing: Specifications TD 40 101 with Motorcycle Carrier

Just do an internet search for Tandem Dolly
Best luck
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
Got it Scott. I realize the rig, dolly with cart is going to be long. I suppose it would have been better if I said minimize the length as much as possible. I am not ignorant of the facts regarding combined length. I understand and am well aware of the total weight given all rigging and attached vehicles. I am also familiar with GVWRs. Guess I should have included the fact I pulled a 36 foot fifth wheel previously and I am familiar with length and combined limits. I guess I would have been better asking in general the thoughts or experiences of the 360 hp with the intended pulled items as stated or alike.
I will take your suggestions and do the math as needed as I understood it even before reading your reply. Thanks for the facts you provided in your response. I am sure some of the readers will find some of it helpful. Have a nice day Sir.
RTinVa,
I hope you didn't take my response to your original inquiry as thinking you were ignorant of such portions of your calculations, figures and more. That certainly was not the intent. When I answer someone here, I just like to make sure that we're both on the same page when I'm trying to explain myself.

We too like to have more than just a toad, when on many of our trips. So, like stated, we used to "carry" the Honda Goldwing, about 900 lbs., on a Hydralift, on the back of our '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the 330HP C-7 CAT. That coach did superb with that bike on the back. Absolutely NOTHING that I was told would happen if I put that kind of weight on the back of that coach, EVER HAPPENED. It ran straight and even down the road. No porpoising, no wandering, no structural damage, no "lifting of the front end", no adverse tire problems or wear, NOTHING!

But, we just decided to change for a multitude of reasons. So, now we haul the bike in the back of the new toad, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. It works flawless for us. But, as to your situation, if it were me, I'd aim for an aluminum trailer. Like I stated, they're very pricey but, the major benefit is a lot less weight, something that you and YOUR ENGINE will really appreciate. I'd sacrifice the wallet for the preservation of the engine and trans. But, that's me. Let us know what your solution is. Good luck.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
RTinVa's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 316
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I dolly tow (works great) and if I didn't have a Class A Toy Hauler, I would use a Tandem Dolly.

But, there is more than one horse in the race...see:
Tandem Tow Dolly
RV Tow Dolly | Haul your cars, trucks, Golf Carts, ATVs & motorcycles. now Tandem Tow Dolly

and for the quote you mention, I bet Landgrebe would make one for you:
Landgrebe Manufacturing: Specifications TD 40 101 with Motorcycle Carrier

Just do an internet search for Tandem Dolly
Best luck
Thank you for your suggestions. The caster action on the Landgrebe is interesting. I have sent them an email with questions. Travel safe!
__________________
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
RTinVa's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 316
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
RTinVa,
I hope you didn't take my response to your original inquiry as thinking you were ignorant of such portions of your calculations, figures and more. That certainly was not the intent. When I answer someone here, I just like to make sure that we're both on the same page when I'm trying to explain myself.

We too like to have more than just a toad, when on many of our trips. So, like stated, we used to "carry" the Honda Goldwing, about 900 lbs., on a Hydralift, on the back of our '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the 330HP C-7 CAT. That coach did superb with that bike on the back. Absolutely NOTHING that I was told would happen if I put that kind of weight on the back of that coach, EVER HAPPENED. It ran straight and even down the road. No porpoising, no wandering, no structural damage, no "lifting of the front end", no adverse tire problems or wear, NOTHING!

But, we just decided to change for a multitude of reasons. So, now we haul the bike in the back of the new toad, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. It works flawless for us. But, as to your situation, if it were me, I'd aim for an aluminum trailer. Like I stated, they're very pricey but, the major benefit is a lot less weight, something that you and YOUR ENGINE will really appreciate. I'd sacrifice the wallet for the preservation of the engine and trans. But, that's me. Let us know what your solution is. Good luck.
Scott
Thank you for your reply Scott. My reason for starting this thread was to find out from others their opinions and thoughts of what they might do given my situation. Thank you for your advice on the lift. The main reason for not considering this as an option was the change in weight on the rear of the coach. Thanks for letting me know that what some believe will happen may not actually be a problem at all. May even consider a full size truck to haul the works. I think I will start looking at what beds will fit a golf cart.
Thanks again. Travel safe!
__________________
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 101
So I'm new to RV'ing however I tow toys all the time. IMHO I would think a trailer open or enclosed is a great option. Enclosed would give you added storage as long as the MH and trailer is rated to haul it also it can be a small work shop if you need to do anything. Also I would think that if you ever were in a situation that you needed to back up, a trailer would be much easier to handle and not have to be unhooked. There are many options in trailers so you can side load the cart and pull on the car.
__________________
2004 Damon Challenger
mothgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
rbpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 292
this is not mine but very similar to it golfcart sideways on the front car on the back.. there are lighter ones out there that are cheeper


New 20' Load Trail 14k Tilt Flatbed Equipment Skidsteer Bobcat Trailer | eBay
__________________
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
RTinVa's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothgrey View Post
So I'm new to RV'ing however I tow toys all the time. IMHO I would think a trailer open or enclosed is a great option. Enclosed would give you added storage as long as the MH and trailer is rated to haul it also it can be a small work shop if you need to do anything. Also I would think that if you ever were in a situation that you needed to back up, a trailer would be much easier to handle and not have to be unhooked. There are many options in trailers so you can side load the cart and pull on the car.
The more I read replies the more I am leaning towards the exact option you are suggesting. Thank you very much for your reply. I will be doing a lot of searches and checking the possibility given the coach specs on towing.
Travel safe!
__________________
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: somewhere in the west
Posts: 1,168
I weighted the options for bringing my Toyota truck, and my Four Wheeler, and settled up with a Tandem Dolly, and I'm finding it a fine choice.

I especially like the fact that I can manually wheel it around, and a good part of it will fit under the RV in order to take up less space.

I lucked out and found mine in Nevada, used of course.


Ed
__________________

__________________
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dolly, tow dolly



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.