Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #1

Expert brake system advice needed

I just bought a used 40' DP and have an '03 Yukon toad. Anyhow, just bought the Air Force One setup and have it sitting in the box. Watched the video, crawled under the coach and been scratching my head. I've just been made aware of the M & G system and visited their website. The simplicity with the coach install and lack of anything inside the toad impresses me. I've been told the M & G price is slightly less.

Question: If you were me, would you return the Air Force One system and pay return freight plus 20% restocking, then buy the M & G system?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No, Airforce one has breakaway system standard. Optional with M&G.

Mike

Old 05-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #3

Been using the same AF1 system for over 5 years on 2 Class A coaches and 2 different toads. I'd buy another in a heartbeat if this one ever failed, but it seems like that isn't going to happen. We have well over 110,000 tow miles on the system, and the only malfunction I've experienced was the pull cable on the toad cylinder broke. I sent the cylinder back to the company, it was repaired and returned to me in a week for a total cost of less than $35. We had our former Blue Ox Apollo system go out for the third time when we were on the way to Alaska. I put the Air Force One system on our rig and toad sitting in an RV park in Valdez, AK.

Put your system on. None better on the market and the only one out there that meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
isa

Triple E Owners Club
For pigman 1.

You stated quote " the only one out there that meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards" unquote.

Would you kindly tell me and the rest of the IRV2 readers what the reference is for the FMVSS that you mention.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the M&G on a Tahoe and had one on a Jeep Liberty. Simple installation and I wouldn't have anything else. M&G also has a breakaway setup.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I installed the M&G system myself and am very impress with it. If you decide to go with M&G ask them about their reconditioned unit that's what I did. My cost for brake system was only $440 and around $100 for breakaway system minus air tank. Have ARBs in Jeep and front bumper is my air tank.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #7

Keep it going guys and thanks for the replies thus far. If I understand correctly:

1. The M&G system is likely not transferrable to the next toad, whereby the AF1 system may well be?

2. The M&G system does not fit all toads, such as those where there is not sufficient space in the master cylinder / power booster area?

3. The M&G system taps into a single brake line in the coach. There is nothing else. If the line ruptures, the coach brake system will still work at 75% capacity or so? Does this conflict with anyone's "standards"?

4. The M&G system has a cylinder in the toad for breakaway air supply. I was quoted $195, plus $30 for a coiled air line between coach and toad.

I know that many like AF1 and that is why I bought it. I spoke to a dealer who sells both and he told me the M&G system is the way to go for my full-time situation with the equipment that I have.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is very little difference between Air Force One and the M&G, the differences are as follows:

The M&G may or may not fit your towed (It would not, for example, fit mine) Air Force ONE WILL fit.

The M&G you don't need to bleed off the booster vacuum on the towed.

Air-Force one, you should.

Other than that, and the fact that the break-away system is standard with one and not the other. There is not a lot of difference. I suspect the coach side is the same for both.

Oh, one other thing. Air force one operates on the brake pedal, so it will activate the brake lights on the towed. This may be a problem for some folks.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #9

wa8yxm

I understand the M&G system has no electrics...such as a controller.

The M&G breakaway system on the toad is an option at $195. With the system itself at $640...the combined at $865 including a $30 coiled air hose between the vehicles...seems like a bargain.

That AF1 brake pedal activation of the brake lights may seal the deal for me. I was planning on using a wiring system from the coach with diodes to isolate the toad's wiring.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Put your system on. None better on the market and the only one out there that meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
Can't seem to find this on the FMVSS site.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by isa View Post
For pigman 1.

You stated quote " the only one out there that meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards" unquote.

Would you kindly tell me and the rest of the IRV2 readers what the reference is for the FMVSS that you mention.
Sure. There is an FMVSS regarding the integrity required in an air brake system. This is to prevent some fool from designing a system which uses components that may fail compromising the installed system on the rig, draining the air from the system, and leaving you with no brakes. The AF1 folks use a "ping" tank on your RV to keep the RV air supply intact in the event of a toad break-away. If the toad departs with an M&G system, you are left with a hole in the air system on your coach. When I queried them about this a few years ago, their comment was that I'd have the coach stopped by the time air loss was sufficient to cause a problem. I always wondered how I'd move the coach later with the emergency locked and a hole in the air system, but they didn't have an answer to that one. I understand some newer systems are trying to incorporate an electric valve in the system to avoid this problem, but I never could figure out how to test that valve to see if it was going to work when I needed it. The electric valve does not meet current FMVSS. If someone has read through all the FMVSS published, I'm impressed. Although I was familiar with many of them, to be able to read through the thousands of pages of FMVSS that designers are required to comply with, was beyond what my former job of a Registered Safety Engineer required and beyond what I cared to do.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
I always wondered how I'd move the coach later with the emergency locked and a hole in the air system, but they didn't have an answer to that one.
Sounds like more of a personal problem than a safety issue...unless some drunk runs into the rear of your now stopped coach...or the toad stopped a few hundred yards back in the middle of the road.

Just sayin....
Old 05-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
Sounds like more of a personal problem than a safety issue...unless some drunk runs into the rear of your now stopped coach...or the toad stopped a few hundred yards back in the middle of the road.

Just sayin....
Have you ever sat on the shoulder of an interstate with a large disabled vehicle?
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Have you ever sat on the shoulder of an interstate with a large disabled vehicle?
Nope...and I wouldn't be sitting in it either. I would be about a hundred yards away on my cell phone. Way too many idiots on the road. Have you read the statistics on the number of highway patrol injured or killed every year on the side of the road, with their lights flashing?

As long as we are playing all the scenarios here...say your toad becomes detached. You have full brakes in the coach. The toad is now parked in the middle of the interstate, at night, no lights because it also lost it's source of electricity. Are you calling the highway patrol as you leave it sitting there, heading for the safety of the next exit? Or are you going to park your coach and go back for it, hoping to get it off the road before it kills somebody?

Tags
brake