Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #1

Extra lights through trailer harness of Toad

Your best guess please.

I have my Jeep Wrangler that I am towing. I would like to put some extra lights on the rack that I installed on it. Do you think that if i plug in extra lights into the Jeeps trailer light harness that the extra lights will work from the MH signal like the Jeeps lights do when I tow?

Thanks,
J
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #2

The Jeep trailer lights and the Jeep toad connection to the MH should be seperate.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you use LED lights instead of the older Incandascent kind.. (And change your tail lights over as well) the total current draw will DECREASE, and thus cause no problem.

In reality, The anser depends on how big the added lamps are. ONe additional 1157 on each side will cause no problem.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #4

I managed to hook up the jeep without moving the MH and took a volt meter to the trailer harness on the back of the jeep. I do have power from the MH's lights going through the jeeps trailer harness, so I am going forward with the additional lights. I will post pics.

Also, I talked to the guy who wired the jeep for tow lights. He said that as he recalled, he wired the diodes to allow current to the jeep but not frommm the jeep to the MH

J
Old 06-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup, there are 3 different tow light systems

One is the diode kit, works as you describe and should power the jeep's trailer connector

2 is the "Add-a-lamp" system, where you drill a hole in the side of each tail light and snap in a 1157 lamp and socket that is hooked to the Motor Home connector up front but isolated (Save for ground) from the jeep's system

3: add a fixture,, Same as 2 electrically. Don't look as good. (Mickey mouse ear tail lights in addition to the OEM)
Old 06-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #6

Here is the install. Used some rubber fasteners so the lights are easily removed. Got the LED lights from Walmart and a few nuts and washers and velcro fasteners from the hardware store. These lights are needed because I have a 4 bikes on the back of the jeep when I tow and you can't see the regular tail lights.

needed a few spacers so the nuts would not kit the bars.

https://idisk.mac.com/jjakle//Public/jeep5.JPG

Finished it up with some flex conduit and velcro.

https://idisk.mac.com/jjakle//Public/jeep3.JPG
https://idisk.mac.com/jjakle//Public/jeep2.JPG
https://idisk.mac.com/jjakle//Public/jeep1.JPG
Old 06-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
I managed to hook up the jeep without moving the MH and took a volt meter to the trailer harness on the back of the jeep. I do have power from the MH's lights going through the jeeps trailer harness, so I am going forward with the additional lights. I will post pics.

Also, I talked to the guy who wired the jeep for tow lights. He said that as he recalled, he wired the diodes to allow current to the jeep but not frommm the jeep to the MH

J
The diodes are not installed correctly.
If you have power in the trailer harness from the MH this means the MH is powering up the Jeep computer, engine control unit (ECU). The installer even says so. It allows current to the jeep from the MH.
This defeats the whole purpose of using diodes. Diodes should be wired to allow current to the bulb from the Jeep source or the MH source and not back to the idle source, ie. the jeep ECU.
You might want to check to see if you register miles on the Jeep odometer while being towed.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
The diodes are not installed correctly.
If you have power in the trailer harness from the MH this means the MH is powering up the Jeep computer, engine control unit (ECU). The installer even says so. It allows current to the jeep from the MH.
This defeats the whole purpose of using diodes. Diodes should be wired to allow current to the bulb from the Jeep source or the MH source and not back to the idle source, ie. the jeep ECU.
You might want to check to see if you register miles on the Jeep odometer while being towed.
My factory jeep trailer harness is wired off of the rear lights harness. The diodes installed on mine I put under the door jam next to the drivers seat. So mine does power the trailer lights and I have a second set attached to my rack, that holds the cooler, for extra safety.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Part of the confusion is that the diodes you buy for this hook up are actualy sets of two diodes for each light. You break the feed to the rear lights and place the diods between the jeep feed and the MH feed. This allowing current to only flow to the rear lights and not back to the coach or the jeeps ecu.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #10

Sorry for the large pics. We roll out on Sunday so I will update then as I will know then when I hook up the Jeep to the MH.

Tags
lights, toad