Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Troonortn, first of all... you MUST have the steering unlocked. I have a FWD manual Passat I tow with an EZE Tow and have no problems. I would not re-engineer the strap system to a rachet type as previously suggested. The system works. I suggest first that you put your car on as straight as possible. That is VERY important. Secondly, tighten the straps until both front tires are are crushed against the front bar. You CAN NOT over tighten the stock cam. Make sure the cam is centered in the middle of the tire. Then as previously suggested, stop every 50 to 100 miles to retighten. After a couple of trips the straps will be stretched enough. If you don't like the ring, you can buy 12k lb. basket hook straps from US Cargo Control online for about $50 for the pair. Don't give up or modify... Tighten, tighten, tighten! Safe travels!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #16

I am beginning to think that the 17 inch tires are the issue. They are so big that the ratchet is pulling straight down on the tire instead of pulling from back to front.

The other thing that I discovered after an afternoon puzzling over the situation, is that the tires on the dolly are actually skidding sideways as the vehicles go through a turn. It is almost like it is easier to skid the tires rather than turn the cars steering ( yes the steering is unlocked). In fact the torqueing is so strong that, as I walked beside the dolly while my wife drove it through a corner, the straps were pulled so tight on one side that they depressed the tire about half way to the rim!

I am beginning to think that another type of dolly is the better way to go. Not being a millionaire that is going to hurt. By the way, I have received no help from the EZE TOW people what-so-ever which is sort of disappointing.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
When I first got my eze tow, I didn't know what I was doing as it came with the motorhome. I watched their video on Youtube and called Acme with unanswered questions. They were very helpful. I wouldn't worry so much about the compression as the straps are made to handle it. I don't like that your tires are skidding sideways on the carrier through the turn. Hard to imagine the tires being so compressed and at the same time, the wheels still having a sideways movement. My tires are smaller. Perhaps it is the size of them in combination with the strap that is causing the problem. I would get Acme on the phone and not let them off until you are satisfied.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #18

Hello, Richard Brown w Acme. I see the picture included in this post. If this is the vehicle in question I see several things that are not set up correctly. The other members here are correct in that new straps will stretch some and require adjusting until they stop stretching. This is true for all dollies and their straps. Also, wet straps will stretch and when traveling from a warm climate to a cold climate the air in your tires will condense some and the straps may seem loose. I do not recall talking to you about your problem. We are very serious about customer service and even answer emails until 11pm 7 days a week if it is service related. I would appreciate an opportunity to discuss this with you directly. Please call the office and give them your phone number and I will call you. We hve thousands of dollies on the road everyday trouble free and I would like to help you resolve any issue you may be having. Please call as soon as you can, or email us w your information. I see every email every day. Thank you. Richard Brown
AcmeTowDolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeTowDolly View Post
Hello, Richard Brown w Acme. I see the picture included in this post. If this is the vehicle in question I see several things that are not set up correctly. The other members here are correct in that new straps will stretch some and require adjusting until they stop stretching. This is true for all dollies and their straps. Also, wet straps will stretch and when traveling from a warm climate to a cold climate the air in your tires will condense some and the straps may seem loose. I do not recall talking to you about your problem. We are very serious about customer service and even answer emails until 11pm 7 days a week if it is service related. I would appreciate an opportunity to discuss this with you directly. Please call the office and give them your phone number and I will call you. We hve thousands of dollies on the road everyday trouble free and I would like to help you resolve any issue you may be having. Please call as soon as you can, or email us w your information. I see every email every day. Thank you. Richard Brown
Richard has always been there to answer questions and when I picked up my tow dolly, his crew spotted a few minor problems while attaching to my tow vehicle and wouldn't let me leave until everything was 100%. I have towed with no problems and like everyone has said, the straps do stretch so you have to keep tightening in the beginning every 100 miles or so.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #20

Also, a quick note. The dolly tires and wheels do not drag sideways in turns. What you are seeing is friction. Dollies do not have suspensions. The tire is the only suspension component on a dolly. As such they do all the work. In turns, especially tight turns you may see some tread wear being left on the street. This is normal for dollies and most trailers, even some vehicles. The straps do compress one tire or the other in turns, this is also normal. The dynamics and physics involved in towing with a tow dolly are commonly misunderstood, it is a lot like watching sausage being made. Be assured, we have thousands of dollies in use everyday worldwide and have never had a customer lose a vehicle. WE have many customers that tow our dolly over 10k a year trouble free. Let's talk as soon as possible. Thanks Richard.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #21

install aquick disconnect on differential from drive shaft
nice part no dollies,trailers no hassle
remco towing makes this product.

chip at rolandh@mts.net
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Richard, that's my Tracker in the pic, what is not correct with this set up? Tows fine for many miles this way.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
We are very serious about customer service and even answer emails until 11pm 7 days a week if it is service related. I would appreciate an opportunity to discuss this with you directly. Please call the office and give them your phone number and I will call you. We hve thousands of dollies on the road everyday trouble free and I would like to help you resolve any issue you may be having. Please call as soon as you can, or email us w your information. I see every email every day. Thank you. Richard Brown
Now there's something you don't see every day!!!! Richard, thanks for jumping in! It's awesome to know that the manufacturer of a product I own and use is that intrerested in a satisifed customer! We as consumers need more companys with people like you out there Kudos to you and thanks again!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a CAR-TOW by Forest River Inc. and they recommend immobilizing the steering wheel by locking or tying off the steering wheel. I tie mine off to the bottom of the seat frame.
*Always make wider radius turns (wider thatn usual)
*Safety chains from dolly to the dollied vehicle are optional on my model but I installed a set for safety. Stupid that they aren't standard equipment.
I've read the comments about "un-locked steering wheel so it pivots in turns"......Total nonsense. That is NOT the way they steer. It's geometricaly impossible. Most all dollies have a swivel pan (However very minimal angle ability. That is why larger radius turns). Your vehicle is not designed nor does it steer like a "Soap Box Racer" (which pivots in the center line of the Soap Box. A vehicle's spindles pivot throughout the center line of the ball joints or kingpins.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toad want's to fall-off the back of the dolly?...I would double check the height of the tongue - aiming to have the wheel tray as level as possible.

If I recall correctly...Mr. Brown at Acme says to have the hitch at about 14".
See: FAQs | Car Tow Dolly

I have mine at 17" because I don't want to use a drop hitch of more than 8", but that's just me. With the hitch too high, gravity will make the toad creep to the rear.

If you call Mr. Brown, hope you come back and report the fix.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #26

Hi Richard. I have been in contact with you, your sales manager ( whose name escapes me right now), have sent in pictures to both you and the sales manager and the only response I got was; "Everything looks OK."

On the tire skidding sideways through a turn issue, I walked beside the car dolly and watched the tires skid. When tires produce a 'furrow' with the road gravel piled up on one side of the turn and the tire track is roughly twice the width of the tire, trust me, they are skidding. When the tires of the dolly tear up the tar and gravel of my own circular driveway and pile it up on one side of a much larger tire track than should be produced by the dolly tires, I am reasonably certain that they are skidding. When the tires move sideways as well as forward and produce a loud tire squealing sound on a paved corner ( you knew this was coming) they were skidding.

The set up is exactly as described in the manual, on the web site and by you in your Email reply to me. Tongue height is 14.5 inches. Straps are so tight you could play them like a fiddle.

All that being said, the dolly is a fine piece of machinery. Quality is top notch. Everything was delivered as described. All assembly instruction and operating instruction were followed to a 'T'.

So my only logical conclusion is that either it is something I am doing wrong, or it is a peculiarity of the 2013 Chev Equinox that I am attempting to tow.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:29 AM   #27

tow dolly steering

Trailerking, the Acme doesn't have a pivot plate or steerable wheels. You better unlock the steering wheels on the car.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Richard, that's my Tracker in the pic, what is not correct with this set up? Tows fine for many miles this way.
I am a little concerned about the size of the tires. I think you said they are 29s. Big tires like that actually end up with the vehicle axle aft of the dolly axle. When this happens the tongue weight gets very light. If it has not been a problem yet then it is probably fine. The chains going to cross members concern me a bit because they may bend the cross members in a tight turn. As far as being a back up safety chain , in that position they would still allow the too much movement if it were to come off the dolly for some reason. But if it is working for you that is fine, no worries. Thanks.

Tags
dolly