Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeTowDolly View Post
I am a little concerned about the size of the tires. I think you said they are 29s. Big tires like that actually end up with the vehicle axle aft of the dolly axle. When this happens the tongue weight gets very light. If it has not been a problem yet then it is probably fine. The chains going to cross members concern me a bit because they may bend the cross members in a tight turn. As far as being a back up safety chain , in that position they would still allow the too much movement if it were to come off the dolly for some reason. But if it is working for you that is fine, no worries. Thanks.
Thanks Richard. The tires are indeed 29's which in this case are 235/75/15's...Not large really. As the caption stated, the safety chains were moved (this was my first hookup) to the a-frames near the steering pivot. Thanks again Richard!

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #30

Unhappy

I also use an Eze Tow dolly. We just completed a 5k round trip tow. While we did have the same problems with the straps getting loose, this was taken care of rather easy! I always stop after the first couple of miles and before getting on the freeway to tighten again. After that they stayed thight throughout the day, but I check at every stop !

The problems I have is with the dolly and the wiring and lights. A few more zip ties on the frame wound keep the wiring up where its not draging on everything ! The tail light wires fall out three or four times a day. The $19 set I bought at HF that look exactly the same click together and dont fall apart. Dont know why they didnt buy a harness to match the lights ? The ramps have to be watched all the time because no matter how tight you make the ratch strap they slide forward and try to fall out. I moved mine to the trunk got tired of worring about them. A 4in piece of angle would fix this problem, but would cost maybe. 50 cents! !!

Other than those few issues, it towed fine ! A little work to fix these issues before our next trip. Good thing I dont have to pay someone, after what I paid for the dolly !

Bill

Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #31

Nuts, interesting post. Confirms my decision to avoid the Acme dolly which I had reservations about because of no pivot or steering and the requirement to unlock the steering wheel. In my case, multiple vehicle involved so not worth the logistics involved to do that.

Still looking for a used pivot/steerable dolly. May have to break down an buy a new one.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FighterPilot
I had reservations about because of no pivot
Fighter,

While I have some issues with some of the professional finish details of the dolly, I have no issues with the "no pivot" towing. It towed very nice for the entire 5K trip.

Bill
Old 07-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #33
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
Nuts, interesting post. Confirms my decision to avoid the Acme dolly which I had reservations about because of no pivot or steering and the requirement to unlock the steering wheel. In my case, multiple vehicle involved so not worth the logistics involved to do that.

Still looking for a used pivot/steerable dolly. May have to break down an buy a new one.
Congrats on the decision to dolly tow. Your Toad will be very happy riding high - preventing rock damage and saving the wear and tear on the drive-line, plus you will be able to pick from different dingy cars with no issues about mounting and questions about hidden miles at resale.

BUT the thought that you need a steering axle or pivot pan is just a liability. These functions just add weight to the dolly and a pivot pan adds the risk of dolly fender contact on the dingy door during tight turns.

My Acme is so simple, affordable and EZE to use, that I just wouldn't switch. Keep the straps tight like any dolly and unlock the dingy's steering like any 4-down toad and you are good to go
Safe travels

BTW; I put my ramps and spare in a storage bin for safety, security, and to keep them clean. When the dingy is unloaded, the straps and chains go in that bin too.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #34

Wink

Quote:
BTW; I put my ramps and spare in a storage bin for safety, security
I would be very interested in see a picture of the storage bin, sounds like a good plan, but not sure where you mount it ???

Bill
Old 07-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #35

Carolina Campers
They don't cost a lot, so many of us try out a tow dolly. After having all the issues that they cause, we find that the only real solution is to upgraded to a tow bar with all four down and solve the issues.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #36
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts View Post
I would be very interested in see a picture of the storage bin, sounds like a good plan, but not sure where you mount it ???

Bill
The bin I am talking about is a belly bin of my RV. Sorry to not be clear.

However, a tongue box could be mounted on the EZE tow, since the toad does not twist on the dolly frame.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #37

Probably, if I had just one vehicle to set up I would consider the Acme, but with my vehicle, daughters two vehicles, and vehicles from three grandsons families the logistics of setting up 6 different vehicles to tow is too much hassle. Cost will be about the same so going with steerable or pivot dolly, surge brakes and wireless magnetic lights.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #38
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
Probably, if I had just one vehicle to set up I would consider the Acme, but with my vehicle, daughters two vehicles, and vehicles from three grandsons families the logistics of setting up 6 different vehicles to tow is too much hassle. Cost will be about the same so going with steerable or pivot dolly, surge brakes and wireless magnetic lights.
Just to ensure it is clear...there is no set-up on the car to use any dolly.

You can use extra lights but that is not required.
My dolly has the widest tray available at 80" so, I have been able to tow everything from a tiny 2 door import to a full sized E-150 van (pulled the drive shaft) with no issues.

Having surge brakes is very smart and the best are surge DISC brakes. The surge brake feature really narrows the field.

Best of luck finding that perfect dolly
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #39

by set up on cars I meant for the acme one has to make sure the front wheels can turn with the dolly. That requires some "set up with the key to unlock the steering--different on different vehicles" and than that will further cause battery drain in some cases so one must consider pulling fuses as another "setup" and lastly some states requires lights on the rear of the car--trailer lights not enough. Of course that "setup" will be required for any dolly. Like you, I want the 80 inch wide tray and the surge brakes. Thanks

Tags
dolly