Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:28 AM   #1

EZE-TOW new tie down system

This information only applies to ACME EZE-TOW dollies.

The new EZE-TOW dollies come with a new tie down system. I really liked the look of the new system so I had the new setup delivered to our summer location so I could try them on the 2000 mile trip home.
Had the new brackets welded on at a local shop.
This new system is great, much easier than any straps I have used. And it uses steel chains to hold the car onto the dolly, very secure.
Comes on the new dollies and can be retro-fitted to older dollies like mine.
Check out their web site to see how the system works, it's way faster than using nylon straps.

http://towbartowdolly.com/

I make the following statement because I have noticed many posters on these forums make negative statements about various products, and then admit they don't own them or have never even used them.

"I have actually used this system for 2000 miles and it is faster and easier, and in my opinion safer, than the straps I had been using."

This post in not meant to start another debate about which dolly is better or if it is better to use a dolly or tow 4-down, those debates have been more than covered on other threads. I am only giving an opinion on a product I have personally used.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the info. I purchased the EZE-Tow Tow Dolly after looking at several and felt it best suited my needs. It did not come with this new tie down system so I guess I just missed it.

I had seen a photo of this while looking at maybe ordering a extra set of straps and thought it looked cool, but just now watched the video and called and talked to them. Upgrade is shipping to me today Woo Hoo until reading your post I was not aware I could upgrade my Dolly with this system.

Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #3

Thanks for the great info, will have to check and see which system mine came with (haven't used it yet, got it aobut 2 to 3 months ago). I still haven't even put the lights or fenders on it. Just waiting to retire, looks to be around 31 March 2012. Will know for sure on the 27th of this month. Everybody keep your fingers crossed.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
Thanks for the great info, will have to check and see which system mine came with (haven't used it yet, got it aobut 2 to 3 months ago). I still haven't even put the lights or fenders on it. Just waiting to retire, looks to be around 31 March 2012. Will know for sure on the 27th of this month. Everybody keep your fingers crossed.
Watch close and you will see mine pass through your town on 10/25/11 with a PT Curiser on it.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #5

I just recently bought the Eze-Tow with the new tie-down system. Haven't used it yet. I did obsrve that it isn't going to be quite as easy as their video shows. They show just dropping the chains down behind the car wheel. If I do that, the chain is going to be riding on the boot of my CV joint. I will have to get down on hands and knees and feed the chain through below the CV joint.

Oh well!...nothing is ever easy.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #6

Instead of using a wrench as shown in the video, I used a socket and 1/2" drive ratchet. Makes it even easier to use, going on or off.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy
This information only applies to ACME EZE-TOW dollies.

The new EZE-TOW dollies come with a new tie down system. I really liked the look of the new system so I had the new setup delivered to our summer location so I could try them on the 2000 mile trip home.
Had the new brackets welded on at a local shop.
This new system is great, much easier than any straps I have used. And it uses steel chains to hold the car onto the dolly, very secure.
Comes on the new dollies and can be retro-fitted to older dollies like mine.
Check out their web site to see how the system works, it's way faster than using nylon straps.

http://towbartowdolly.com/

I make the following statement because I have noticed many posters on these forums make negative statements about various products, and then admit they don't own them or have never even used them.

"I have actually used this system for 2000 miles and it is faster and easier, and in my opinion safer, than the straps I had been using."

This post in not meant to start another debate about which dolly is better or if it is better to use a dolly or tow 4-down, those debates have been more than covered on other threads. I am only giving an opinion on a product I have personally used.
Thanks for the info.
Regards,
Randy Kornegay
Old 10-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #8

I am looking at purchasing one of these dollys for towing my smart car behind our motorhome, and I, for one, appreciate your candor and honest appraisal of this system. And before someone else answers back with the fact that a smart car can be towed four down......yes....I know it can, but my wife's '05 Chevy Aveo with an automatic front-wheel drive transaxle cannot. So......unless someone can tell me a way to fit two full size adults, a Great Dane that weighs 140 lbs., and two small dogs into a smart car designed for 2- people and some luggage, then please don't assume that I haven't considered every alternative. No, REMCO does NOT make a transmission lube pump for an '05 Chevy Aveo! No.....you can't simply install a disconnect on a front wheel drive transaxle. Trust me, I've considered the alternatives, and without leaving the Great Dane behind, either at home or in the motorhome, there aren't any viable alternatives to using a dolly. So....."I" simply want to hear from people that have used, or are currently using, the EZE-TOW dolly, and not second hand info about in-laws or whoever that might or might-not actually own this particular name brand. Thanks in advance for any honest appraisals from actual owners of this product.......good, bad, or otherwise. :>)
Old 10-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #9

I posted this on another thread a while back.

"Check out an ACME Eze-Tow dolly, it has an 80" deck.
I like mine because it is simple, all welded frame, low profile tires and fenders makes straps easier to put on,
surge disc brakes (no elecrtical controller), and 4-point tie down straps.
When I push it up under the back of the MH in campgrounds, it only sticks out about 24".
At home I stand it up against the wall in the garage, and low profile tires don't stick out very far.
It's functional, sturdy, and inexpensive."
Old 10-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bigcritter,

I just towed from Seattle, WA to Salt Lake City, UT and will be going on to Yuma, AZ and then back to Seattle, WA. I am very happy with the dolly and the upgraded tie-down system.

This is my first long trip with the MH and fist trip with the dolly, but it is doing fine and so am I. I went through the same thought process you are before I purchased the ACME Eze-Tow dolly. It was a smart investment in my view.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #11

I like being able to store my eze-tow inside, standing up against my garage wall.
And if you do stand it up, be sure to put blocks under it or you will break the tail lights, somebody told me.
Oh well,I wanted new LED taillights anyway.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #12

Drop hitch for EZE-TOW Dolly

I have another question for those using the ACME Eze-Tow Dolly system. On their website and in their instructional video, they state that the ideal height of the tongue on the hitch ball is 14" off the ground for the surge brakes to function at their optimal. The center of the hitch on my coach is 22" off the ground, so I would need an 8" drop hitch to put the tongue at the ideal height. Is anyone using a drop hitch on their setup, and if so, what's the drop (in inches) that you're using. It seems I read in one of my coach manuals that they don't recommend anything more than a 2" drop hitch, but that wouldn't even come close to getting the tongue on the Eze-Tow level. :>O
Old 10-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
Bigcritter,

I just towed from Seattle, WA to Salt Lake City, UT and will be going on to Yuma, AZ and then back to Seattle, WA. I am very happy with the dolly and the upgraded tie-down system.

This is my first long trip with the MH and fist trip with the dolly, but it is doing fine and so am I. I went through the same thought process you are before I purchased the ACME Eze-Tow dolly. It was a smart investment in my view.
When do you anticipate being back in Seattle. If you'd be willing when you get back, I'd love to get together with you and see your dolly, and perhaps see if it would work for my smart car. IF I don't buy one before prices go up next Tuesday. Price is going up $180 on 1 Nov 11, but it might be worth the extra to me just to make absolutely sure that it's going to work for me. I would be willing to travel to see you on a Sunday if you would be willing to demonstrate the dolly. Please let me know. You can e-mail me directly at bigcritter4@comcast.net. I live in Olympia, WA. :>) Thanks!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #14

If you followed every one of the manuals recommendations, you couldn't take it out of the garage.
I use a 4" drop and fudge the hitch height about 2", never had a problem.