Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:22 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
EZE-Tow or American Car Dolly possible damage

Has anyone experienced damage to the wheel alignment or damage to the undercarriage that were towed with the EZE-Tow (Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly - Car Tow Dolly) or American Car Dolly (http://www.americancardolly.com)? I'm looking to tow my Honda Odyssey and both of these dollies fit the wheelbase and low profile vehicles.

I'm also open to any other dollies that might work. I'm not willing to tow the car four wheels on the ground.

Ohsirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i have the Acme eze-tow. I towed a Ford C-Max and my Toyota Avalon with any problems. I have an older model that used plastic ramps, the new ones (upgraded mine) is almost perfect. The newer style over the tire tie-downs work great and are easy to use. (no more left or right side). Also the new style ramps make it very easy to load/unload. With an Odyssey's high clearance, either will work. For me, the EZE was my answer, plus at only a few hundred pounds, its easy to move and stow. My 2 cents. Just don't forget to disengage the parking break, new tire get expensive.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many miles on ours

Just used my American Car Dolly to tow our Ford Focus 5000 miles from GA to Anchorage over some rather rough conditions. All went perfect.

In total I have towed around 14000 miles since we have owned the American and Focus to date with absolutely no problems.

For safety's sake, I added a break away switch and battery, a spare tire, and a Protect- a- Tow screen, then covered the windshield with Reflectix. No broken windshield on the Toad from flying rocks or scratches (so far). Still have 5k miles to get home though. No front end problems

The American is aces in my book.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:55 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks everyone great input. Now to make a decision.
Ohsirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:32 AM   #5

We have the Ezetow Dolly towing a 2004 Honda Odyssey.just received it last month for our trip to Oregon, running 4000 or so miles. I was hesitant to use a dolly but the Ezetow with the hydronic brake was such a good deal and allowed us to tow our older van without having to put a bunch of money into it. So now if we purchase another car, no later expenses. We loved it, and it was not as much of a pain as I thought it was going to be. It was an easy on, easy off system, loading and unloading by myself. It was also light and easy to hand maneuver around once we pulled up next to our site. When we stayed in pull through sites, we did not even need to disconnect which was very convenient. The Ezetow was rated to carry our weight van, most others were not. The only downside so far is the tire size was uncommon, I went to a few tire store and they did not have the size, so I am not sure how difficult it would be to repair on the road if there is a blow out. I will be calling Ezetow tomorrow about that.
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobioknight View Post
The only downside so far is the tire size was uncommon, I went to a few tire store and they did not have the size, so I am not sure how difficult it would be to repair on the road if there is a blow out. I will be calling Ezetow tomorrow about that.
EZE Tow was running a 2 for the price of 1 replacement tire special. Not sure if it is still ongoing. Also, I carry one spare as I am sure most do. The tires are readily available on line for from ACME themselves. When I have a dolly problem on the road, they are very helpful and will ship parts directly to you or once they told me how to find them locally.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
EZE Tow was running a 2 for the price of 1 replacement tire special. Not sure if it is still ongoing. Also, I carry one spare as I am sure most do. The tires are readily available on line for from ACME themselves. When I have a dolly problem on the road, they are very helpful and will ship parts directly to you or once they told me how to find them locally.
Thanks.
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:39 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm also considering those two dollies, but on the third hand <g> I'm considering 4-down towing my 2009 Odyssey. I know Honda says not to, but I also know that many people do it anyway without transmission damage.

What has me leaning toward four-down, apart from ease of hook-up, is the tire tie-down nets. All dolly vendors seem to say to check them after 5 miles (fine by me) or so, and every 50 miles thereafter (not fine by me).

My question(s), then, are:

- How many of you actually do that?
- Among those of you who don't, how often do you check them, and have you ever been bitten by not checking them every 50 miles?

Thanks!
bluegiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:50 PM   #9

I check mine at the top of my road after several turns that it takes me to reach route 1. Then after about 20 miles before I enter the highway. After that, whenever we stop (lunch, pit stop, fuel, etc.). Generally they are still tight. I also check the dolly lug nut torque at the same time. No need to check each 50 miles, however new straps will tend to loosen more until they set. Also, care should be taken to ensure the wheel net ribs that go from inside to outside the tire point towards the center of the tire or there will be additional loosening until they settle. I ran from Michigan to home last year (1,200 miles) and they never needed further tightening after my two initial retightening. Once leaving the campground before going out on the road and once more before entering the highway about 10 miles later. Still checked them every stop though.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:12 PM   #10

I'am also looking at tow dolly's myself.The american looks good
at a better price between the two choices.Not to start another debate,
but my choice is larger tires.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:50 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, Vettenuts! That's really helpful!

One other question comes to mind: I read that the straps especially tend to loosen when they get wet; does it make sense to intentionally wet them before putting them on, then making them as tight as possible, so they will tighten further as they dry, or is that likely to do more harm than good?
bluegiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:14 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a master tow with swivel plate and electric brakes, I have towed a Honda accord over 12000 miles with no issue, even in tight turn there is no stress on the car.
Mrfix
Old 02-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegiller View Post
Thanks, Vettenuts! That's really helpful!

One other question comes to mind: I read that the straps especially tend to loosen when they get wet; does it make sense to intentionally wet them before putting them on, then making them as tight as possible, so they will tighten further as they dry, or is that likely to do more harm than good?

Personally, I would just use normally and not worry about it. I have not seen a lot of loosening when they get wet if they are tight to start with. If you check at each stop you should be fine. At least this has been my experience.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #14

Sold my EZe-Tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohsirr View Post
Has anyone experienced damage to the wheel alignment or damage to the undercarriage that were towed with the EZE-Tow (Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly - Car Tow Dolly) or American Car Dolly (http://www.americancardolly.com)? I'm looking to tow my Honda Odyssey and both of these dollies fit the wheelbase and low profile vehicles.

I'm also open to any other dollies that might work. I'm not willing to tow the car four wheels on the ground.
I did a lot of research on tow dollies. I had master tows in the past before we move and with the new RV I needed a new tow dolly. So I purchased the EZE tow and three months later I sold my EZE-Tow as soon as I returned from out trip to AZ. Every time I stopped I had to reposition the car because the tires slid on the 2x2 support beam that the tires sit on. Why it was make with out the pan for the tires to sit on is just poor engineering. Also because there isn't a turntable and the car must be in neutral, the car rocks back and forth, the safety chain is too tight you have a problem removing the chain. When it's to lose it pops out of where its hooked and drags on the pavement. I ended up using plastic ties to secure the chain to the tow dolly. Also the straps had to be tightened every time we stopped for a break. Again with only a 2" beam for the tires to sit on they roll on and off this 2" beam. Not having a turntable type tow dolly the ramps are not always in position to off load the car. So you must drive the RV around until the tow dolly ramps are inline with the with the front and back tires. There customer service was useless.

The only thing I can say nice about this dolly is it weighted less than other tow dollies.

Tags
dolly, tow